Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > TV Shows
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-25-2004, 09:06 PM
Evil Dead

I don't know who I'm going to be pulling for in the Oscars. Lord of the Rings was the big winner in the Golden Globes, and I usually pull for genre veterans, but Mystic River was an amazing movie.....So maybe Peter Jackson can get Best Director and Mystc Best Picture. That would make me happy.

Taxi Driver and The Wild Bunch never won Director or Picture, and yet crap like Gladiator and Last Empreror have. But sometimes they actually award something like Unforgiven and Braveheart that deserves to win. Always a tough call.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:09 PM
Banned

Nothing in Oscar History can out-farce Kevin Cosnar getting Best Director for Dances With Wolves. Now, the fact that he won isn't the problem, the problem is that nominated that same year was Martin Scorses for Goodfellas. Let that sink in. On second thought, don't. If you think about that fact for too long blood will shoot out your nose.

And hells yes Taxi Driver should've gotten best pic. Taxi Driver = Best Movie Ever.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:12 PM
Evil Dead

Since you like Taxi Driver (I love it, too) and live in St Louis, I was wondering if you saw it on the big screen about seven or so yrs ago at that theater downtown that specializes in indie films?
Old 01-25-2004, 09:16 PM
Banned

I was 10 seven years ago. I had odd tastes in movies even then, but I doubt I would have been able to appreciate the movie.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:23 PM
Evil Dead

Oh well. The place was packed with film geeks and Harvey got a standing ovation. I drove four hours just to see it. Got drunk afterwards and made fun of some ravers. Threw a beer bottle at a guy with green hair and Day-glo sticks.

I think Kevin Costner even being nominated for Dances was a farce. That movie was a big sentimental buffalo chip. It totally glamorized Native Americans as Noble Savages without even addressing the hardships that made them tough in the first place. No Indian in Dances was going blind because there wasn't enough meat in his diet, and everyone looked robust and healthy instead of like the lean feral soldier/killers you see in photographs.