Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Sometimes dead is better

The Evil Dead (original) Dvd

On Amazon, there are two different Evil Dead versions. One is simply called the 1-disc edition, while the other is known as the "ultimate edition". I heard that the case is unusual for the ultimate edition and I really do not like unusual cases (I prefer standard, plastic cases). So, I was wondering if the case was very strange and would appear out of place in my horror movie collection. So, I want to know which of the editions is the better of the two with the physical look factored in (I hope I explained myself, if not then you may ask me specifically what you don't understand)?
Old 06-19-2013, 03:53 AM
Hellraiser

I have the blu ray version so mine doesn't apply but from my understanding, the ultimate version has the 3 tray digipak type right? Normally in terms of appearance and height, it won't differ much from standard dvd case (in the 1 disc edition) but since ultimate ver. has like 3 trays with many panels, it will be thicker. I personally love digipak packaging, but those who don't like thicker looking dvd won't prefer it.

Have you ever bought any dvd with box packaging?
Old 06-19-2013, 06:17 AM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoTenshi;951120 [QUOTE=TokyoTenshi View Post
Have you ever bought any dvd with box packaging?
I am not positive, but I am sure I have.

Last edited by metternich1815; 06-19-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:36 AM
Hellraiser

^ Prolly you have, most of DVDs nowadays prefer the box set thingy. Some can be very bulky, not pleasing to the eyes at all.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 AM
Evil Dead

I have a couple of different versions of that movie, but have not yet found an "Ultimate Edition" that could be shipped to Denmark. But I did see a pic of one once, and as far as I remember the box was a little thicker than usual, but not taller.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Evil Dead

Okay, if it's this edition of the DVD, then I would hardly want to put it anywhere near a crowded DVD shelf, as I wouldn't want to mess it up. I take it, however that you're referring more to this one:

In which case it still looks to be a bit too tall and wide to fit on a standard shelf and may look a tad out of place. I would reckon it's a worthy addition to the collection though, so maybe there's somewhere else that you could put it? Or maybe make a shelf that's dedicated to disproportionate DVDs. I have a setup like that. I keep all my DVD's that won't look right or fit onto my regular shelf in a drawer next to my regular sized DVD's.

This is the edition that I have is just a basic 1 disc edition, which is fine with me because it came with two pretty cool commentary tracks from Raimi/Tapert and Campbell and when I'm looking for a movie, as long as it has a commentary track of worth and a decent making-of featurette, I'm good. :)
Old 06-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Sometimes dead is better

As far as the box thing that some of your mentioned, I was wondering is it still plastic or is it made of some other material?
Old 06-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
As far as the box thing that some of your mentioned, I was wondering is it still plastic or is it made of some other material?
Most of the boxed sets that I've come across or bought have your standard DVD cases in a "box" to keep them all together. I do away with the box and just keep the DVD cases. Makes sense to me as some films in a series have different titles and I organize my film collection alphabetically. ;)
Old 06-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Sometimes dead is better

I group all my horror movies on one shelf (the only genre I do this for) and I just normally put my weird cases on top of some of my dvds/vhs's, but I would prefer to have Evil Dead with the rest of my horror movie dvds, since it is a really good movie.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Here is the exact way that I organize my horror movies specifically:They are generally alphabetized, but numbers are put at the front of the list (unless spelled out on the movie) and series’ are kept together regardless to what the first letters of the sequels are (it is alphabetized by the first letter of the first film). Within a series, the films will be in chronological order (Hammer films will be grouped separately). Also, as is customary in alphabetizations, minor titles are ignored for the purposes of alphabetization. Remakes are usually placed after the original film (if it is an individual film or I do not have any other films in the series) or series that they remade. Names of individual’s ignored for purposes of organization. Versus movies will be considered separate from their respective series’. That is how I organize, but then I have my dvds, blu-rays, and vhs's organized together. I use the system described above within the dvd, vhs, and blu-ray sections, which are grouped separately. Strange or broken dvd cases, are placed above the vhs or dvd sections (by the way because I group certain films according to a theme like Val Lewton or Hammer the dvds that are weird or broke are not organized according to the system I described above, at least at the present time). My relatively small blu-ray collection is above one row of dvds on my second row bottom up. I have a very complex, intricate system of organizing my horror movies specifically.

Last edited by metternich1815; 06-19-2013 at 06:08 PM.