Old 04-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Misanthrope

Digital vs Old School...

What do you guys prefer when it comes to media formats?

For me nothing beats putting on a LP or reading a book. Especially books reading books in a digital format just isn't as relaxing to me as reading a paperback.

I guess I'll just have to get used to it as its definitely the way of the future.

Also I just can't bring myself to pay for MP3s. Such a shitty format... I'd rather pay for the CD and rip it myself at least I'll have something to hold onto and look at.

So yeh I'm definitely siding with the old school :cool:
Old 04-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Reading - I'm not mad about reading digital versions of comics and i find PDFs of books very hard on my eyes. I'e yet to try a Kindle or more friendly reading device..

Music - I've not listened to an LP in years. I still have my old recoed in my parents atic gathering dust. I actually don't play CDs much either I ripped them all to a hard drive and play off that....Its a pity really as I used to love Album Art which is has really died now. Also I find I never know the names of songs since I started palying them off a Hard Drive..

I still have a huge EX-Rental PreVra Video Collection (again gathering dust) - I think i'm going to try get around and sell some of it since some tapes can go for big bucks these days..
Old 04-13-2010, 11:31 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
What do you guys prefer when it comes to media formats?

For me nothing beats putting on a LP or reading a book. Especially books reading books in a digital format just isn't as relaxing to me as reading a paperback.

I guess I'll just have to get used to it as its definitely the way of the future.

Also I just can't bring myself to pay for MP3s. Such a shitty format... I'd rather pay for the CD and rip it myself at least I'll have something to hold onto and look at.

So yeh I'm definitely siding with the old school :cool:
Same here. Old school always fine with me too.:)
Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 PM
Misanthrope

You should wing some of those LPs my way Ferox :D
Old 04-14-2010, 04:59 AM
Midnight toker

Movies: VHS & DvD. I still add to my VHS collection when I'm out and about and still often come back from town with a bag full of films. You get all the bonus material with DvDs, so I do have a big collection of DvDs too now, but I wouldn't wanna be without my vhs collection. I don't really know how bluray is different to DvD and I don't download/ watch many films online.

Music: Vinyl, CD & still have plenty of cassettes too. I have an MP3 player, but it don't get much use.

Reading: I never even considered the idea of reading a book in digital format.

Old school I guess, but I'm sure I miss out on advantages of new technology as a result.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:33 AM
Undead Cavalier

Send a message via AIM to fiend_skull Send a message via MSN to fiend_skull
Movies: Anyway to watch a movie via DVD or VHS I am fine with, as long as the quality doesn't suck.

Music: Personally, I like the warm sound from Records, but I have WAY more CD's and MP3's. personally the only time I get annoyed with a recording is when it has those "sound gremlins" as my music production teacher calls them (I'd try to explain them, but I'd fail miserably), I prefer owning CD's as opposed to MP3's.

Books: I'll read paper back 99% of the time, its only when schools will get rid of their entire library for those digital books will the e-readers piss me off.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:40 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to milktoaste
Reading is old school, you just can't beat those paper pages.

Movies and music I'll take the new school way. Since my last VCR took a crap I haven't had to think about rewinding anything. Also, tape decks are getting hard to came across, especially in your car-which is one the only places I get to listen to what I want.

I was half expecting this thread to be more about movie FX, where I hardily prefer the man in a rubber suit and puppets over CG. Oh, and who ever thought CG blood splatter was a good idea, ack, it ruins the kill every time.
"The physical body is acknowledged as dust, the personal drama as delusion. It is as if the world we perceive through our senses, that whole gorgeous and terrible pageant, were the breath-thin surface of a bubble, and everything else, inside and outside, is pure radiance. Both suffering and joy come then like a brief reflection, and death like a pin" Stephen Mitchell
Old 04-14-2010, 05:42 AM
Banned

Movies: DVD or Blu-Ray .....if I'm in a grindhouse kinda mood VHS will do fine.

Books: old school

Music: You can't beat 8-track tapes.....nothing like getting into a song and it switches tracks in the middle. :D
Old 04-14-2010, 06:08 AM
That fucking Guy...

I like VHS, especially for pre-dvd horror films, it's actually my preference for those...not sure if it's a nostalgia thing or what, but to me they just feel at home there. No, I don't like fucked copies played on fucked players that make the picture bend half way through or make constant squeeling noises, but yeah I do like the format.

I kind of miss taping stuff off the radio...but nowdays I like the ability to simply look up what I want to listen to...ease of use is good...

Books...nothing can really replace them for me. That much more imagination goes into being able to convey thoughts without any sensory perception based input to the reader, that it's always great - besides, you ever read a book, then see a movie and it's just not how you imagined?
Because it never is - you can never get your own "take" and perception of a written tale, from someone else. You get lost in a book, as you do your own thoughts...
Old 04-14-2010, 06:25 AM
Evil Dead

Gotta go with old school for most everything. Though digital is easier, and in a lot of cases, cheaper, it doesn't add to my shelf, nor give me the simplicity and ease of using something I purchased outside the net.