Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > New Member Lounge
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-29-2004, 01:33 PM
ItComesInPints

cannibals

Hey all.

I am a third-year anthropology student doing research for a term paper. I am trying to explain why cannibalism is a taboo in Western society, and what its origins are. One of my main arguments is that we are taught to hate and fear cannibals through stories and (more modernly) films.

I need to know of any examples of children's stories, books, or films that feature cannibalism besides the obvious ones like Hansel & Gertel and Silence of the Lambs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Horror Fan

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078935/

Old 09-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

there are numerous.....
Old 09-29-2004, 01:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to ThenThereWasOne Send a message via Yahoo to ThenThereWasOne
Look up Ed Gein, mate ! He was the bloke that 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre', 'Psycho' and other video nasties are based upon.
On another note, there is a study that showed practiced cannibalism is what led to Mad Cow Disease and there are the same symptoms in cannibal human societies. It was on a science telly program. Disgusting, but still fascinating.
Cheers !
Old 09-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Now she has us.

Quote:
Originally posted by ThenThereWasOne
Look up Ed Gein, mate ! He was the bloke that 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre', 'Psycho' and other video nasties are based upon.
On another note, there is a study that showed practiced cannibalism is what led to Mad Cow Disease and there are the same symptoms in cannibal human societies. It was on a science telly program. Disgusting, but still fascinating.
Cheers !

lol

It was farmers trying to cut costs by feeding their cattle with ofal made from infected mamal organs..they did it on the cheap and obviously didnt realise or know of the environmental issues, that would be affected by the outcome.

The disease went rampant then, as it attacked the nervous system.

It was also done to increase the growth and pace at which young cows would develop.... meaning they got sent to slaughter younger... which put wads of cash in the farmers pockets in the short term, but they paid the price in the long term.

<CENTER>
http://www.horror.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic2020_5.gif</CENTER>

Last edited by ShankS; 09-29-2004 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to ThenThereWasOne Send a message via Yahoo to ThenThereWasOne
Ah, yes. I see you're from the UK as well. Apparently the Yanks here are not as informed on this, shall we say, "mishap" ? Did you see the program as well ?
Cheers !