Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:20 AM
For Vendetta

Latest in Horror - All's Happening at the Horror Front

Suspiria Remake

Slightly old news, but it is reported that upstart production house First Sun has acquired the rights to remake Dario Argento’s classic 1977 Suspiria for modern audiences. First Sun is a conglomeration of director Luca Guadagnino, fashion designer Silvia Venturini and a slew of producers.

"Suspiria has a unique style that we want to reinvent for today's generation," director Guadagnino told the trade. "We intend to create a concept that will encompass cinema, videogames, fashion and music and that revives the original for those who did not experience it. The Gothic resurgence is very strong around the world at the moment ... and we feel that a new version of Suspiria will fit very well."

Lindsay Lohan's foray into horror - Director speaks

Again, not new news...director Chris Sivertson's I Know Who Killed Me is centered in an idyllic small town which is rocked when Aubrey Fleming (Lindsay Lohan), a bright and promising young woman, is abducted and tortured by a sadistic serial killer. When she manages to escape, the traumatized girl who regains consciousness in the hospital insists that she is not who they think she is and that the real Aubrey Fleming is still in mortal danger.

Sivertson had the task of taming party-girl Lindsay Lohan for a difficult dual role, “Lindsay and I hit it off right away. It's fantastic to work with somebody that gifted. Her dual roles in the film were extremely demanding - both physically and emotionally and she pulled it all off with true style.” Sivertson speaks very highly of Lohan’s talent telling that “The movie is a real showcase of what she can do.”

IKWKM is getting release right dead smack in the middle of summer blockbusters, but Sivertson isn’t sweating it, “ I'm excited as hell to be getting a summer release - it's fun to push this really dark and twisted mind-bender of a movie out amongst all the mega-budgeted sequels and remakes out there this summer,” he continues, “Tri-Star easily could have played it safe and waited for the fall but they've really gotten behind the movie.”

What horror fans what to know is just how bloody is the film, considering it’s more of a thriller. “There is some pretty nasty stuff in the flick. It's not a gore-film at all, but there are a few sequences that pack a mean punch.”

I KNOW WHO KILLED ME hits theaters everywhere on July 27.

Ringu's duo makers' new effort

Two of Japan's top moviemakers are teaming up for a horror project at 20th Century Fox and Regency Enterprises. Hideo Nakata (The Ring 2) is attached to direct Inhuman, which pairs him with "The Grudge" producer Taka Ichise, who is producing alongside Vertigo Entertainment's Roy Lee and Doug Davison. Regency bought Eric Heisserer's horror pitch "Inhuman," which is loosely based on a Japanese murder case and was brought to Heisserer by Orion Prout, who is associate producing alongside Jennifer Fukasawa from Ichise's Ozla Pictures banner.

Nakata and Ichise, two giants of J-horror, paired up on the Japanese-language "Ringu" series, which spawned two English-language hits starring Naomi Watts.

Casting for "The Burrowers"

Doug Hutchison (The Lawnmower Man), Clancy Brown (Starship Troopers, Pet Sematary II) and William Mapother (Suspect Zero, The Grudge, Lost) will all star in J.T. Petty's The Burrowers, which begins shooting this summer in New Mexico.

The Burrowers tells the story of a band of courageous men who set out to find and recover a family of settlers that has mysteriously vanished from their home. Expecting the offenders to be a band of fierce natives, the group prepares for a routine battle. But they soon discover that the real enemy stalks them from below.

Neil Marshall (The Descent) bringing Doomsday

Neil Marshall's (The Descent) upcoming apocalyptic-thriller Doomsday is all set to be a Rogue Pictures release in 2008.

Doomsday is set three decades after a lethal virus tore through a major country, leading to the country's walling off. When the virus, known as the Reaper, resurfaces in another country, an elite group is dispatched to the infected country to find a cure. There, they end up shut off from the rest of the world and must battle through a landscape that has become a waking nightmare.

First Peek at "1408"

The first clip from Dimension Films' 1408, which hits theaters June 22, can be viewed here :-

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809721616/video/3010743/

"1408" is the tale of a debunker of paranormal occurrences (John Cusack) who encounters real terror when he checks into the notorious Room 1408 at the Dolphin Hotel.

Del Toro and Clive Barker team-up

What do you get when you clash the worlds of Clive Barker and Guillermo del Toro?

I'm hoping pure madness and insanity.

Today it was announced that Jennifer Connelly (Dark Water) and Paul Bettany (The Da Vinci Code, Inkheart) will star in Born, a psychological thriller that Guillermo del Toro, Lawrence Gordon and Lloyd Levin will produce, and horror vet Clive Barker will exec-produce.

Daniel Simpson will direct the project, which revolves around a couple who settle down in a seemingly idyllic English town to raise a family. Their perfect life is shaken when the husband, a claymation artist, discovers his characters are acting out a nightmare that comes to life.

Simpson penned the script with Barker and Paul Kaye.

Stop-motion animated sequences, produced by Chiodo Bros. Prods. ("Elf," "Team America") will be integrated into the pic.

Steve Lanning and Cliff Lanning are producers on "Born," which starts production in mid-August in the U.K.

Connelly wrapped "Reservation Road," opposite Joaquin Phoenix and Mark Ruffalo for Focus Features, while Bettany completed "Inkheart," which stars Helen Mirren, Brendan Fraser and Andy Serkis.

Del Toro, Gordon and Levin are in production on "Hellboy II" for Universal.

Remake of "A Tale of Two Sisters"

The beautiful Elizabeth Banks (40-Year-Old Virgin, Wet Hot American Summer, Slither) will star in the Korean horror remake "A Tale of Two Sisters" for DreamWorks.

Based on the Kim Jee-Woon's 2003 Korean horror film of the same name, the story revolves around two sisters who return home to their father after spending time in a mental institution. Their recovery is hindered by their cruel stepmother's (Banks) obsessiveness and an interfering ghost. Brothers Thomas and Charles Guard are still attached to helm the film, scheduled to begin shooting in July in Shreveport, La.

Craig Rosenberg adapted the English-language screenplay, with a rewrite from Carlo Bernard and Doug Miro.

Banks, who can be seen in "Spider-Man 3," next will appear in Universal Pictures' "Definitely, Maybe" and 20th Century Fox's "Starship Dave," opposite Eddie Murphy. Her most recent credits include starring opposite Mark Wahlberg in "Invincible."

Ghost Rider sequel?

Mark Steven Johnson is considering dusting off Johnny Blaze for another Ghost Ride.

"We're talking about it, yeah, talking about it," says Johnson of "Ghost Rider 2". "I don't know what I'm going to do, to be honest. After Daredevil and this ... it takes so long, these movies. I really want something different, and the pressure of the fan community is always so great."

Johnson, who started out on comedies like "Grumpy Old Men", says he’d much rather do something lighter next. "I would like to do something more comedy-based," he says, "go back to my roots like the Grumpy Old Men movies and do something with effects. I love effects; I love working with them. So I don't know about for myself, if that's in the cards for me."

But if there is a "Ghost Rider 2", Johnson has his ideas.

"If there's a second one, I would push for Scarecrow," he says. "In fact, in my first script it was Scarecrow who was the villain, but then I heard that they were going to put him in the Batman movie. But now having seen it, he wasn't really in it that much. And the Marvel Scarecrow is really pretty cool, so I think he'd be an excellent villain. I also think there's a character named Blackout that could be interesting, [and] there's Vengeance from the later comics."

The Arcanum is coming

Gold Circle Films (“Slither”, “White Noise : The Light”) have picked up feature rights to Thomas Wheeler's fantasy-adventure "The Arcanum" out of turnaround from Miramax.

"The Arcanum," Wheeler's debut novel, is set in 1919 and follows the titular secret society comprising the era's leading occult investigators -- Arthur Conan Doyle, Harry Houdini, H.P. Lovecraft and Marie Laveau -- as they battle demons descending on New York City, including a serial killer of angels.

Gold Circle topper Paul Brooks says that the banner's going out to directors. "We see this as a potential franchise property," he added.

(References - bloody-disgusting.com, moviehole.net, yahoo.com)

Last edited by _____V_____; 06-12-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:54 AM
I like my eyes deep fried

Doomsday sounds really cool....Any apacolyptic kind of movie that comes out, you will find me sitting in the front row....I cannot get enough of those movies.....:D
Old 06-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Can you dig it ?

Remaking 'Suspiria' ?!? Is nothing sacred ? How about remaking something that wasn't so good in the first place to make it better rather than watering down what is already great ? Nonsense like this makes me ashamed to be a filmmaker :mad:
CK
Old 06-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Biggest and Best

No, nothings sacred. I was reading another forum last night concerning Rob Zombies new version of Halloween. Some were in favor, some wernt.

Some of you woulnt like this but here goes............................
I cant understand why people hate remakes so much. Its not like if somebody remakes a movie there going to change the orginal. Some of you seem to be under the impression that, if somebody remakes one of your favorite movies, when you put the orginal dvd in, the remakes going to play.
The orginal will always be the orginal. Remaking it isnt going to change it.
Ok, so most them arnt any good, dont watch them. Nobodys going to make you see it. I do feel that making a judgement on something you havnt seen isnt fair, thats beside the point.

Ive heard people say remakes are bad for the genre. How?????
When young kids who havnt seen (Suspiria in this case) see the newer one and like it, dosnt that raise the liklyhood of them seeking out the orginal?
Would the people remaking these movies even be doing it if they didnt like the orginals?

Just a thought

I dont know why the rest of you think Halloween is only one day a year
Old 06-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Can you dig it ?

I'm more for Hollywood coming up with something new that could become a classic rather than just remaking anything that has any value (esp to fans) in order to keep attempting to cash in on a name like 'Halloween', 'Suspiria', 'The Haunting' or any other countless films. What about if the remake completely tanks (which is often the case) ? How many of younger viewers are going back to see the original 'Black Christmas', 'When A Stranger Calls', 'The Hitcher', etc after being completely put off by some CGI laden, Mtv looking crap that has the same name ? Hell, if I had seen any of them first, I certainly wouldn't be rushing out to rent the original to see where the source material came from. If it sounds like I'm preaching, that's fine. As long as people keep buying tickets and Hollywood keeps making money churning out subpar movies with familiar titles, there will be no shortage of remade horror films. I think that's unfortunate as a fan of the genre and a filmmaker myself.
Apparently it is easier to remake something badly than to create something new- esp if it's already a proven winner. Think about it.
CK
Old 06-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
And I will rant again....think it has been awhile, on this forum anyway.....;)

I don't mind the OCCASIONAL remake, I have liked a few. There have been remakes that did a good job in paying homage to the original, or expanded upon it, or seems to be made by someone who actually has an understanding and love of the horror genre, and not just out for a paycheck until they can make "serious" films. But that is rare. There is hardly any risk-taking in horror anymore, and that is a big part of horror for me. They know they can bank on a name; it is safe for them, no need to even make an attempt at originality. It just makes me wonder how many fresh scripts are being tossed aside in order to make yet another remake. I just want to see more movies that try to make it own their own merits instead of falling back on the name, controversy or popularity of another.

Sure, there are decent remakes. But for the most part they are uninspired, boring and completely unnecessary. Usually they pale so much in comparison to the original film you just have to wonder what they were thinking. A lot of the time, they seem to be directed, or written by someone that doesn't seem to have a clue about the original film, or the horror genre. And the result is, much of the time, a disappointing mess. Either the name is ripped off, and has nothing to do with the original film (House of Wax, which seems more like a remake of Tourist Trap really). Completely ignore and ruin what was great about the original (The Haunting remake). Or they copy it almost scene by scene, adding absolutely nothing interesting or unique to it, which makes it even more pointless, and really seems to scream...."hey, look at me, I can do it better" (Psycho remake). And yes, it just pisses me off to hear others say how much "better" the remakes are, and I have heard it over and over again. The ones that are so against remakes, just want to see some attempt at originality, and want to see respect paid to these great films.

Oh and BOOOOOO! to a Suspiria or A Tale of Two Sisters remake. Looking forward to Doomsday and Born though, they sound promising.

Last edited by jenna26; 06-12-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Waste Disposer

Whoa, Whoa, wait a minute, hold up....INKHEART has been completed???
Oh happy, happy, joy, joy!!:) :)

Also:
1408 looks REALLY good.

Last edited by novakru; 06-12-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Quote:
Originally Posted by novakru View Post
Also:
1408 looks REALLY good.
I just saw a trailer for it, and it looks good, and I like John Cusack a lot, but anytime a Stephen King story is adapted for the screen, I am a bit leery....lol.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Waste Disposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna26 View Post
I just saw a trailer for it, and it looks good, and I like John Cusack a lot, but anytime a Stephen King story is adapted for the screen, I am a bit leery....lol.

We all hold our breath every time a King story comes to the screen:)

So.....pregnant yet *evil laugh*
You must JOIN US, JOIN US....
The Mommy Club needs you:D

Ok, I won't tease you anymore...you'll get enough of that at all the new family functions from now on. lol
Old 06-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Biggest and Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSadistro View Post
I'm more for Hollywood coming up with something new that could become a classic rather than just remaking anything that has any value (esp to fans) in order to keep attempting to cash in on a name like 'Halloween', 'Suspiria', 'The Haunting' or any other countless films. What about if the remake completely tanks (which is often the case) ? How many of younger viewers are going back to see the original 'Black Christmas', 'When A Stranger Calls', 'The Hitcher', etc after being completely put off by some CGI laden, Mtv looking crap that has the same name ? Hell, if I had seen any of them first, I certainly wouldn't be rushing out to rent the original to see where the source material came from. If it sounds like I'm preaching, that's fine. As long as people keep buying tickets and Hollywood keeps making money churning out subpar movies with familiar titles, there will be no shortage of remade horror films. I think that's unfortunate as a fan of the genre and a filmmaker myself.
Apparently it is easier to remake something badly than to create something new- esp if it's already a proven winner. Think about it.
CK

While I can understand the orginalality aurgment, I still feel like alot of people think film makers are tampering with something "sacred". Theres nothing sacred about any movie. They made every movie with the hopes it would make them money. I refuse to belive anybodys ever made a movie, remake or otherwise and said "man, I sure hopes this movie sucks and nobody likes it".
Again, if you feel that strongly about it, dont watch it. But theres no point in complaing about it.

As far as younger viewers are concerned, your comparing the remakes to thier orginals. People who havnt saw the orginals cant compare. Besides that, those "CGI laden" movies must be doing alright, Hollywood keeps churning them out. Im not saying Im particularly wild about most remakes. Im saying, if you were to take a cencus, most old school horror fans probley wouldnt be in favor of remaking such classic movies. But old school, hardcore horror fans represent such a small amount of the population I dont think most film makers make a point to cater to them.

I dont know why the rest of you think Halloween is only one day a year
Closed Thread