Old 08-04-2009, 01:15 AM
3dfan

House of Wax (1953 for sure)- makes me feel scared really, however the presence of Paris Hilton in new version also makes it true horror movie :p
Old 08-04-2009, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

bbc 1960's sherlock holmes series starring peter cushing

a study in scarlet
the boscome valley mystery
Old 08-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Hellraiser

Dracula and The Raven. I've been on a real Lugosi tear lately. I almost like his pairing with Karloff in the Raven better than in The Black Cat. I love how Karloff seemingly played his roles in the Raven and Son of Frankenstein a little toned down to let Bela take center stage. Or at least that's what I like to think happened. I find it sad that we have no real Iconic actors in this day and age like Rathbone, Price and the aforementioned Lugosi and Karloff. Just pretty young things looking to bulk up their resumes on the way to a romantic comedy.

In any case, I find Browning's Dracula to be an odd film as it is so often silent and so uncomfortably stagy. Bela is pure magnetism and along with Dwight Frye make the movie entertaining and powerful.

The Raven is becoming one of my new favorites from this era. Karloff is so sad and pitiable. It's a great, understated performance. Bela rules as usual in a very menacing role. Death is his Talisman!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

the sign of four
the blue carbuncle
Old 08-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwoti View Post

the sign of four
the blue carbuncle
Cushing rules. I haven't seen this series. I should check it out. I was watching Madhouse the other night and noticing how Cushing might be the only man who can pull off an ascot.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:42 PM
crazzycat

Dracula was my first horror movie for me that's classic:rolleyes:
Old 08-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shloggs View Post
Cushing rules. I haven't seen this series. I should check it out. I was watching Madhouse the other night and noticing how Cushing might be the only man who can pull off an ascot.
only seen a few of the episodes released on dvd so far, i still have a feature length edition of the hound of the baskervilles to watch :cool:
Old 08-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Pirate of Bengal

The Mummy (1932)

The most intriguing Mummy film ever made. This classic possesses a dark- romantic, dreamlike quality that lingers in mind long after the film is over. Less a typical horror film than a Gothic romance with a remarkable Egyptian setting considering at the time the movie made. The versatile talented horror icon Boris Karloff undoubtedly portrayed the best Mummy on the screen. Dry-looking make-up, a blank deadly stare, and that masterful-morbid voiceover at the flashback sequences stimulates the imagination and giving this classic version a depth and eternal feelings that cannot be matched by those more recent adaptations that rely heavily on "special" effects and contrived "action" sequences.

>>: A-
Old 08-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

at midnight i will take your soul
Old 08-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

This Night I Will Possess Your Corpse