Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-27-2013, 06:35 AM
Scares Little Kids

Have you helped a Kickstarter before?

I am curious what about someone's project on Kickstarter inspires others to help support their project. I am talking about horror films on Kickstarter, but I have backed many others besides horror films.

Has anyone on here backed one before? Or had a successful campaign?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Midnight toker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSOlson View Post
I am curious what about someone's project on Kickstarter inspires others to help support their project.
Rewards that don't take the piss out of the people parting with their money is always a good place to start. For example: You give me $100 and I give you a t-shirt is probably not going to get my money. You give me $10 and I give you a copy of the DVD upon release is much more likely to draw some interest.

I've never given money to a movie project before and to be honest probably never would. Kickstarter and things like that have their place and are a great tool for the right project, but I have a massive problem with anyone who wants my money to sustain their occupation but doesnt treat me like an investor.... I don't want a shitty t-shirt for $100 of my hard earned money. That's just me funding your lifestyle because you can't secure legitimate investors or don't want investors taking a share of your profits.

None of that is aimed at you or anyone specifically, its just my general ramblings on the subject....
Old 03-06-2013, 02:59 AM
Little Boo

We have had our Kickstarter up for about a week now. It's a stop-motion short horror film called Monsterous Murders and we are already six percent away from being fully funded and the project has only been up for a week.

The most popular rewards seem to be..
£5: - HD Digital access to the film 2 weeks before publicly released online
£20: - As a DVD along with our other films

We weren't asking for a lot of money.. just enough to cover the basics to get this film made. So that has probably made it easier to get to 100% I'm not sure what is attracting people to it, wether the cover image looks good, or their love for stop-motion. But most of our backers are people that we don't know, and a lot of them came from Kickstarter itself, from being Staff picked and being on the front page.

So I can't say for sure if it's anything to do with it being horror, we tried not to give away the ending of our film. But I reckon people do back film projects and if you find the right audience online and the right places to share it with everyone, then I reckon you have a chance of being successful with your campaign :)