#3251  
Old 04-10-2016, 01:41 PM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
I've been binging on a lot of vintage horror lately...

House of Horrors
The title is misleading, as it had very little to do with houses besides setting. The focus was more on a struggling artist and the monstrous man he saved who ended up killing off critics who didn't speak nice of his new friend. Considering I try to sell art for a little spending money, this movie spoke to me. I really liked it. Rondo Hatton and Martin Kosleck were marvelous. And for us HDCians, Kosleck's character has a pet cat, who fortunately survives!
Speaking of being an artist and House of Horrors, have you ever seen Xanadu? Very cool film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968). A little back story....
First saw this in early 1972 (?) on CREATURE FEATURES out of Oakland CA and there was a big thunderstorm which knocked out the power a couple of times, so missed a lot. Thought it was OK, but not much more.
By August of 1975, had read a detailed article in THE FILM JOURNAL as well as the "Fearbook" in FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND #109 when it finally arrived on Panama Canal Zone Monster Movies. Had a couple of friends over and we watched away, not knowing we would get the uncut version (A few months later, a little Phillipines nudity caused quite the stir). To be honest, we 13 year olds were amazed at how bleak the whole thing was and certain scenes (""The Last Supper" and Karen's playing with Garden implements) really scared the hell out of us. Not to mention the incredibly downbeat conclusion...
I had the disease and caught it everytime it was on TV and was able to find the paperback (reading it when I should have been reading DEATH OF A SALESMAN), the Soundtrack (pretty good) and naturally it was the first VHS I got when I knew I would get a VCR for Xmas. Twenty years or so after that Xmas (1985), wife and I started going to Conventions where we met a lot of the surviving cast and crew...Bill Hinzman, Russ Streiner, John Russo, Kyra Schon, "Chilly" Billy Cardille, George Kosana, George Romero, Judith O'Dea and Charles Craig. ALL of them were nice as could be, making me a bigger fan, if possible.
So, after watching it for probably the 55th time since that night when I was 10, still think, for the money and resources they did not have, this is one badass film and still my favorite film ever. *****
It's one of a kind. I think it's the most effective horror soundtrack, bar none. And they used royalty free trippy music from the library.
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
  #3252  
Old 04-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Roiffalo's Avatar
Roiffalo Roiffalo is offline
HDC's werewolf enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: PA
Posts: 2,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Speaking of being an artist and House of Horrors, have you ever seen Xanadu? Very cool film.
Can't say I have. After looking it up I can say it doesn't really sound like my thing.
__________________
🎃 Review topic 🎃 My "to watch" list. 🎃 My art topic 🎃
🎃 Horror movies I was watching but stopped keeping track of because the site keeps dying 🎃


Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Reply With Quote
  #3253  
Old 04-11-2016, 01:50 AM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
Can't say I have. After looking it up I can say it doesn't really sound like my thing.
LOL! It's actual pretty cool fun. The music is really good, it's trippy, with some nifty special effects. But ya, it's also silly with a poor narrative about a struggling graphic artist who doesn't want to do the art work business gives him to do. But it's got some heart. Mostly watched by people really high.
__________________
.
.
.
.


Last edited by Sculpt; 04-11-2016 at 02:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3254  
Old 04-11-2016, 03:20 AM
Roiffalo's Avatar
Roiffalo Roiffalo is offline
HDC's werewolf enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: PA
Posts: 2,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
LOL! It's actual pretty cool fun. The music is really good, it's trippy, with some nifty special effects. But ya, it's also silly with a poor narrative about a struggling graphic artist who doesn't want to do the art work business gives him to do. But it's got some heart. Mostly watched by people really high.
Might have to try it sometime anyway.
__________________
🎃 Review topic 🎃 My "to watch" list. 🎃 My art topic 🎃
🎃 Horror movies I was watching but stopped keeping track of because the site keeps dying 🎃


Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Reply With Quote
  #3255  
Old 04-12-2016, 07:05 AM
FryeDwight FryeDwight is offline
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,341
THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME (1932). Great adaptation of the classic Richard Connel short story with many of the actors/set pieces from KING KONG being used. Definitely worth catching. ****1/2
Reply With Quote
  #3256  
Old 04-16-2016, 06:44 AM
Repo'd's Avatar
Repo'd Repo'd is offline
Horror > Everything
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,458
M
Reply With Quote
  #3257  
Old 04-16-2016, 06:41 PM
Roiffalo's Avatar
Roiffalo Roiffalo is offline
HDC's werewolf enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: PA
Posts: 2,273
The Raven (1963)

My sister asked me if I had any Vincent Price movies.

I haven't seen this movie since I was a teen... can't remember exactly... maybe 10th grade? The school library actually had it so I borrowed The Raven and another vintage horror. I think it was another Poe story (except it actually stuck to the material) about a house?

My memory is crap, but The Raven was just as cheesy and fun as I remember. Nice to see Boris in a more charming role, despite being a villain.

Favorite part; *guy is evaporated into jam* Welp, time for bed.


EDIT:

THE JOKER WAS IN THIS?!


I keep forgetting Jack Nicholsen was once young...

-

The Pit and the Pendulum

Barbara Steele is in this little flick. Always think of Repo when I see her name in the credits.

This was so delightfully creepy. Much closer to Poe's tale than the last one. And at least this wasn't a comedy (not that I hated The Raven, but... c'mon guys). I only have one problem with it. We get to know every character, if only a little bit. Even the maid had a few lines. We see a male servant every once in a while, always entering a room at the end of a scene, but we never hear a word or get to know him at all. And he's the guy we gotta root for at the very end of the movie in the climatic fight scene. It was a bit distracting just trying to cheer and not even knowing what name to encourage on (creds say it was 'Maximilian').
__________________
🎃 Review topic 🎃 My "to watch" list. 🎃 My art topic 🎃
🎃 Horror movies I was watching but stopped keeping track of because the site keeps dying 🎃


Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!

Last edited by Roiffalo; 04-16-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3258  
Old 04-17-2016, 04:44 AM
hammerfan's Avatar
hammerfan hammerfan is offline
HDC's old chick

 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In my rocking chair
Posts: 13,352
Roi, have you seen "The Terror"? It's Jack Nicholson's first movie.....with Boris Karloff!!!!
__________________
<a href=http://s169.photobucket.com/user/margie1959/media/Christopher%20Lee_zpsdbzag3w5.jpg.html target=_blank><img src=http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u230/margie1959/Christopher%20Lee_zpsdbzag3w5.jpg border=0 alt= /></a>
Reply With Quote
  #3259  
Old 04-17-2016, 01:19 PM
Sculpt's Avatar
Sculpt Sculpt is offline
ventricle
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA, IL
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
The Raven (1963)

My sister asked me if I had any Vincent Price movies.

I haven't seen this movie since I was a teen... can't remember exactly... maybe 10th grade? The school library actually had it so I borrowed The Raven and another vintage horror. I think it was another Poe story (except it actually stuck to the material) about a house?

My memory is crap, but The Raven was just as cheesy and fun as I remember. Nice to see Boris in a more charming role, despite being a villain.

Favorite part; *guy is evaporated into jam* Welp, time for bed.


EDIT:

THE JOKER WAS IN THIS?!


I keep forgetting Jack Nicholsen was once young...

-

The Pit and the Pendulum

Barbara Steele is in this little flick. Always think of Repo when I see her name in the credits.

This was so delightfully creepy. Much closer to Poe's tale than the last one. And at least this wasn't a comedy (not that I hated The Raven, but... c'mon guys). I only have one problem with it. We get to know every character, if only a little bit. Even the maid had a few lines. We see a male servant every once in a while, always entering a room at the end of a scene, but we never hear a word or get to know him at all. And he's the guy we gotta root for at the very end of the movie in the climatic fight scene. It was a bit distracting just trying to cheer and not even knowing what name to encourage on (creds say it was 'Maximilian').
Get'em, Max!

That is strange. Wonder if the endearing Max scenes got left on the penduluming floor.

And I saw The Raven last when I was a teen... nothing to do with the poem.
__________________
.
.
.
.

Reply With Quote
  #3260  
Old 04-18-2016, 02:48 AM
roshiq's Avatar
roshiq roshiq is offline
Pirate of Bengal


 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dhaka
Posts: 8,673
La Bambola di Satana aka The Doll Of Satan (1969)



>>: C
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:40 AM.