Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Evil Dead

The Surgeon (1995)

I really didnt think I was going to enjoy this one as much as I did. There was just somethin about this movie that really grabbed my attention. I recommend checking it out.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:19 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Punishment Park (1971)

Few months back while I was looking through some IMDB lists then I first get to know about this film & it made me instantly pretty curious to give it a blind watch as early as possible. At that time I just found the title & the premise very interesting.
Now, after watching it very late last night without knowing much about the background or the content, Peter Watkins' Punishment Park just straight way made me think & feel I was watching something very real...a genuinely horrifying documentary that was probably banned or hidden all these years or people didn't like to talk about it for its shockingly true & appalling subject matter. Therefore, in this regard, this is surely turned out one of the best Shockumentary I have seen so far.

Quote:
Punishment Park is a politically subversive pseudo-documentary giving a voice to the disaffected youth of late sixties/early seventies America. Imagined as the footage of a British news crew it set in a detention camp in an unspecified near-future, detainees gamble their freedom on an attempt to cross the desert (bare footed with no water) whilst being chased down by a squad of heavily armed police and National Guardsmen. In the California desert, arrested dissidents are tried by an emergency tribunal aka kangaroo court and when found guilty (as all are) they're given the choice between unreasonably lengthy imprisonment or take a gamble on three days in the park. Once released into the park, the dissidents - grouped in bunches as numbered 'Corrective Groups' - are given three days to make it 50 miles through the scorching desert to an American flag. That is, if they can evade police capture; they have a two-hour head start.
This is a troubling document from a time when the US seemed about to tip into chaos and the powers that be would have gone to unimaginable lengths to maintain their control. But what gives Punishment Park its quite substantial punch is the absolutely palpable air of paranoia that pass through in every scene. The film flips back and forth between one Corrective Group's miserable odyssey across the desert and the next Group's tribunal hearings. One of the best aspects of the film is those heated tribunal sessions.

"I don't have to call you what you are, you know what you are...better than I do."

According to Wikipedia, Mr. Watkins allowed his cast to mostly speak their minds to each other and the cameras, and that creates a fascinating time capsule from a time & gave birth to a tale of a generation when average citizens actually cared passionately about their country and were willing to go to extreme lengths for those beliefs & doesn't care about the consequences.
Of course, now, some 40 years on, it might be supposed that the political context of Punishment Park is out of date - but Watkins' film still has its relevance, as the US again & again caught in endless foreign conflicts resulted the untold horrors of US detention compounds in Guantanamo Bay, Iraq and Afghanistan. Looking back on history reminds us of the differences and similarities between then and now, but still Punishment Park shows that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Punishment Park is an extraordinary film, very much thought provoking and deeply depressing. A must see for everyone.

>>: A

Last edited by roshiq; 11-06-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:36 AM
Scares Little Kids

Drive-Thru was hilarious, I loved the music every time Horny would chase and maim someone.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:41 AM
GoreWhore

My signature .gif is from a short film put out by fewdio.com. Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z6xGU2_g9s

Old 11-06-2011, 07:03 AM
For Vendetta

Didn't have the time to watch many films in-between, but I watched my 2 staple Halloween horrors on Oct 29th and 31st:

No November movie marathon for me this year.

Last night though:

...as usual.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulPizza View Post

Drive-Thru was hilarious, I loved the music every time Horny would chase and maim someone.
I really liked Drive-Thru. It was stupid but fun.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Love is like dying

in time 7/10
paranormal activity 3 5/10
just go with it (funny movie) 7/10
life as we know it 7/10
troll hunter 8/10
submarine 7/10
Old 11-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezuki View Post
in time 7/10
paranormal activity 3 5/10
just go with it (funny movie) 7/10
life as we know it 7/10
troll hunter 8/10
submarine 7/10
Out of those, the only ones i've seen are Troll Hunter and Life as we know it. I would give Troll Hunter a score of 10. I loved that movie but i agree with you on your rating of the other. Good to know In Time is good, i was interested in that one. What's submarine?
Old 11-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
What's submarine?
A beautiful coming-of-age dark comedy. Liked it too.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
A beautiful coming-of-age dark comedy. Liked it too.
Just looked it up. Doesnt really sound like my kind of thing but maybe one day i'll check it out.