Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Comics
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Get ahold of yourself.

Send a message via AIM to massacre man
Horror Comics...

Can anybody suggest some horror comics (specific graphic novels or issues if possible). The only horror-related comics I've read Freddy vs Jason vs Ash and Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness. I'd like to read some original stories, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Strange Embrace. An Uber creepy gothic with modern psychology behind it. The Dark Horse Book of the Dead has some fun stuff. Marvel's new Legion of Monsters hardcover is also badass. A couple vintage Frankenstein stories in there and new spins on Werewolf by Night and Satanna, daughter of the devil. Also, if you haven't read Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison, you've missed out on a great foray into horror for Batman.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Get ahold of yourself.

Send a message via AIM to massacre man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
Strange Embrace. An Uber creepy gothic with modern psychology behind it. The Dark Horse Book of the Dead has some fun stuff. Marvel's new Legion of Monsters hardcover is also badass. A couple vintage Frankenstein stories in there and new spins on Werewolf by Night and Satanna, daughter of the devil. Also, if you haven't read Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison, you've missed out on a great foray into horror for Batman.
I've read "Arkham Asylum", I'll look into the rest, thank you, much appreciated.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
No problem. There's also an Essential Tomb of Dracula thing Marvel put out which seems cool and retro.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:17 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
I'm bumping this because I, TOO am looking for some comic recommendations - Thanks, Doc.

I read all of The Walking Dead and was slightly unsatisfied... It was just... To soap opera-y... I want something a bit more dark, macabre, and mature, I guess...

MM - Another creepy comic suggestion is Grimm Fairy Tales: Return to Wonderland. I'm a HUGE fan of gothic fairy tales, and Return to Wonderland nails it; it's only six issues, but the artwork is gorgeous and definitely worth picking all of them up.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 09-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Scares Little Kids

One of the most chilling stories I read was The Killing Joke by Allen Moore. Wouldn't be considered horror, but it is down right creepy.

Fell by Ben Templesmith is amazing. One of my favorites. The artwork in itself is enough to be considered horror, but the dark environment, and even darker, disgusting stories only confirm the horror.

Zenescope is a new publisher which is putting some interesting horror titles out, like a comic interpretation of Seven. They do some great stuff, Grimm Fairy Tales is recommended if you wanted more fantasy horror stuff.

Of course, for the zombie freaks out there, The Walking Dead is as good as zombie comics get. Check it out if you want zombies. Not very scary really, but a great read.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Evil Dead

The walking dead is an awesome ongoing zombie title, has never been anything short of great.

Try "Blood and Shadows" for a great, almost epic horror/thriller experience with ONE SCARY VILLAIN.

The original "I am Legend" was a lot different from the film, more on the horros side of things, it's a classic.

The latest run of the Army of Darkness (DYNAMITE) comics have been great...can't say the previous ones have though.

Blood and Water was a very funny, while dark tale of one mans transformation into a vampire, and integrating into their society.

If you have watched the show "angel" to the end and want to see more, there's a comic called "angel - after the fall" penned by Joss Whedon himself, picking up after the cliffhanger ending of the series, this comic is waaay better than I thought it would be.

BOOM! comics does some good stuff too, but their titles come out very sporadically...nothing but good things to say (check out x-isle for one comic title they've actually finished) about the art and writing though, but they need to get their shit together to live up to great potential.

Containment was cool zombie miniseries - very dark, and actually kind've gives you the chills.

The Lurkers was another horror title...to do with zombies/ghouls/detective stuff. Very "noir", I found this one pretty different and refreshing.

Clive Barkers "The Thief of Always"n was adapted into a comic a while back. Never read the book but sure enjoyed the comic. I'd check that out definately, just don't go in expecting some hellraiser type shit, it's more phantasy than anything. Great read though.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:09 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnes View Post
One of the most chilling stories I read was The Killing Joke by Allen Moore. Wouldn't be considered horror, but it is down right creepy.

Fell by Ben Templesmith is amazing. One of my favorites. The artwork in itself is enough to be considered horror, but the dark environment, and even darker, disgusting stories only confirm the horror.

Zenescope is a new publisher which is putting some interesting horror titles out, like a comic interpretation of Seven. They do some great stuff, Grimm Fairy Tales is recommended if you wanted more fantasy horror stuff.

Of course, for the zombie freaks out there, The Walking Dead is as good as zombie comics get. Check it out if you want zombies. Not very scary really, but a great read.
Fell looks absolutely amazing. I think that I need to pick that one up (but godDAMN I am trying to save money right now... )

Have you read any of Zenescope's comics? I'm currently obsessed with Return to Wonderland, though I haven't read anything else.

As for The Walking Dead - Am I the only one that finds this series incredibly overrated? The artwork is amazing. AMAZING... But the writing is so... incredibly... insipid.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 09-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Fell looks absolutely amazing. I think that I need to pick that one up (but godDAMN I am trying to save money right now... )

Have you read any of Zenescope's comics? I'm currently obsessed with Return to Wonderland, though I haven't read anything else.

As for The Walking Dead - Am I the only one that finds this series incredibly overrated? The artwork is amazing. AMAZING... But the writing is so... incredibly... insipid.
Fell is worth while. Dig around on Amazon, I'm sure its going for cheap.

I'm into Return to Wonderland too. Any Alice in Wonderland stuff steals my heart. Zenescope is a local publisher (Fort Washington PA), so I know them personally. Great people, great comics.

I love Walking Dead. I think the writing is better then the artwork. The on going story, and survival is great. Every issue leaves me wanting more.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:25 AM
boo

Loving this thread, got me wanting o check out zenescope. I've never heard of them.
Walking dead has been mentioned alot. As much as I love it, it's more about the interaction between the characters in a world full of zombies. There isn't much brain eating.

Since nobody's mentioned them, here are my rec's (as long as you don't mind reading manga, and if you can find them). The first two are a good place to start and the others are progressively more disturbing.

1. Uzumaki Manga by Junji Ito (Spiral into horror)
2. The Drifting Classroom by Kazuo Umezu
3. Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show by Maruo Suehiro
4. Panorama of Hell by Hideshi Hino

Enjoy :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
my buddy said it was like getting hit in the eyes with licorice whips for 90 minutes