Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-17-2010, 03:58 PM

The Uninvited (1944)

The Univited (1944)

Starred Ray Milland, Ruth Hussey, Gail Russell, Donald Crisp, Cornelia Otis Skinner and Alan Napier.

The story takes place along a beautiful and mysterious Cornish seascape together with cliff and huge house.

A brother and sister move into the old seaside house which has been abandoned for years. However, their eagerness for the home diminishes when they hear stories of the previous owner (Mary Meredith) and meet her daughter Stella.

The couple were forewarned by Commander Beech, Stella's grandfather, of strange occurances at the house. Also Commander Beech explains that his daughter, Mary Meredith, committed suicide by leaping from the cliff. Stella had lived there until she was three years old. The Commander does not want Stella to go anywhere near the house.

There are strange sounds at night in the house as well as spirit apparitions. The target of the spirit's venom is apparently at Stella, the daughter.

With information gotten from former nurse Ms. Holloway and with the help of physician Dr. Scott they unearth the truth in reagards to the haunting and who the ghost is.

In the end the evil spirit is gone and the good spirit fades back into eternity with the house back to normal living conditions and the daughter free knowing the truth about who her real mother was.

I do not want to say anymore in case that you have never seen this film.

To me, this is one of the best ghost stories ever filmed and unlike today's films, it relies on somewhat gothic atmosphere, eerie moods and and genuine scariness.

Leonard Maltin rates this one 3 and one half stars. I say 4.

One of my favorite films from all genres.

It is not yet available on DVD but it is shown on TCM
Old 11-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Horror Movie Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to GoreHound13
I love this old classic, havent seen it in years! thanks for reminding me! :)
Old 11-17-2010, 07:28 PM
For Vendetta

"They call them the haunted shores, these stretches of Devonshire and Cornwall and Ireland which rear up against the westward ocean. Mists gather here, and sea fog, and eerie stories. That’s not because there are more ghosts here than in other places, mind you. It’s just that people who live hereabouts are strangely aware of them."

Fantastic film. One of my Halloween must-watches every year.