Old 01-14-2014, 09:23 AM
Evil Dead

I saw this movie as well. I rented it from iTunes a couple of months ago. I won't give any spoilers away, but this movie was one of my favorites for 2013. It's sort of Wicker Man (the original) meets Deliverance. I definitely think you guys will enjoy it.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:34 AM
Hellraiser

A friend of mine got it off Ebay. I agree with the above assessment, definitely got a Deliverance vibe to it. What did you think of the ending?
Old 01-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhenderson View Post
A friend of mine got it off Ebay. I agree with the above assessment, definitely got a Deliverance vibe to it. What did you think of the ending?
Spoilers Below

Yes, I definitely enjoyed the “backwoods” feel. It was nice, for a change, to see a horror movie with a community of rustic people (or rednecks, if you don’t mind me being politically incorrect ) that didn’t include garish genetic mutations from all the supposed inbreeding (which I don’t mind either, seeing how I liked Wrong Turn, The Hills Have Eyes etc.).

In any case, the inbreeding/incest that did occur in the film seemed far more realistic than something you’d usually see in a horror movie. Likewise, I thought the relationship between Dawai and Ada was very sincere, even if it was unrequited.

The ending, I think, can be interpreted in differently, depending on what you think Ada’s motives were when she finally sacrificed herself to Pit. Did she have some sort of religious awakening and decide to obey the Pit’s will? Or maybe, with her brother/lover dead, along with her unborn child and her life virtually destroyed, she saw no way out and decided to commit suicide via the Pit.

Personally, I think Ada’s choice was genuinely selfless, considering she spent most of the movie trying to preserve her life, causing other innocent people to die in the process. I also like to think that Ada’s sacrifice was her single act of love for Dawai. Although she obviously did not feel as strongly as he felt for her, she did give herself up to the Pit to save him and what remained of her small community.