Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > New Member Lounge
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Evil Dead

Howdy

Hello,my real name is Dave.Father of two girls and married,but dont let that put you off.;)

I am 44 and loved horror all my life,from an infant i used to read magazines and books and tried to sneak a look at the late films on tv,films like the old classics Frankenstein,Dracula the Wolfman and so on.

My tastes vary greatly but i do not like the cheesy teen pop culture movies of late and remakes are a bad example of script writers being either too lazy to come up with something new or just not up to the job in the first place.

Anyway,enough for now.I know i`ll get to know you all soon enough so for now its cheerio and speak laters.:)
Old 05-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Maggie:}

Send a message via AIM to pinkfloyd45769 Send a message via MSN to pinkfloyd45769 Send a message via Yahoo to pinkfloyd45769
Welcome to HDC:)
Old 05-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Cranky

I agree with everything you say.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 05-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Evil Dead

Thanks guys.:)
Old 05-14-2008, 12:01 AM
Cranky

I take a lot of heat here for hating remakes, so I've got your back!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 05-14-2008, 12:41 AM
Synthetic Flesh

Hey there. Welcome aboard.

I don't hate remakes per se. If they are intelligently done, and add something to the story that they are remaking, then they are worthwile additions to the genre.

However, this turns out to rarely be the case. Often, as I think you guys are alluding to, they merely rehash the old story, and often lose some of the subtlety and meaning of the original, in exchange for updated special effects.

To make matters worse, because Hollywood likes to make money for the sake of it (good movies are a secondary consideration it seems), most of the movies that are remade were good films to start with, and probably those that least needed to be remade.

If they picked up movies with a good premise, but that were poorly executed, then the situation may be very different.

Anyway, that's my view on it.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:14 AM
Misanthrope

I really should get round to picking up a copy of Anthropophagus!
Old 05-14-2008, 02:20 AM
Synthetic Flesh

It is definitely worth a watch.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:33 AM
Evil Dead

I agree with what you say MM.

Some remakes are good,i liked the Dawn remake and i liked the Hills have Eyes one but both and indeed nearly 99% of all remakes are substandard.Even though i liked the Dawn and Hills new versions they still dont compete with the originals.

And why oh why do we need to remake a modern movie anyway,i understand a black and white update or like you say MM a movie which needs improvement because of budget restraints maybe but Halloween,Friday 13th,Fog so on and so forth.What was so wrong with these movies that they think it right to remake them.Nothing.Where were and still are great films on there own.

As for making money from remaking new movies they make zilch from me.I wont pay one penny to see these at the cinema.If we all take my stance then it must surely make the producers think and start to make decent films once again.