Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wensday13 View Post
Yeah, thats right. People who havnt wasted thier life following movies and posting on message boards, yeah, their the morons. :rolleyes:
Now there's no reason to get insulting......:rolleyes:

:p

I guess I am just one of those blessed people that can see both viewpoints; as an unpublished, but still hoping to someday be published, writer, I can definitely see why people, especially writers and filmmakers, are frustrated by the lack of originality and love going into much of the film making these days. I can also see why some just don't give a damn, movies are simply an escape for them, nothing more. And that's fine, for them. BUT, movies and books CAN become scared in a way to the people that work on them or the people that are influenced by them. There are people that see movies as more than a way to pass the time. And you are either one of those people, and you get it, or you aren't and you don't. Nothing wrong with being the former or the latter.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Can you dig it ?

Considering everyone on this message board seems to follow movies and post about them (hence the horror.com title of the site which you are also a member), your statement suggests everyone here, including yourself, is a moron. Since my opinion on remakes speaks only for me, you can speak for yourself in that case. In fact, I'd even dare to say that you've shouted it by now :rolleyes:
Besides a series of migraines for some poor English teacher suffering through a term paper of yours, when was the last time you created anything ? Probably never. Maybe my movie will end up in a bargain bin somewhere. At least I try. I see a problem and I'm not repackaging 'Black Christmas' or any remakes just to get by and collect a quick buck from people who forgot about quality because they've been fed the same dribble for so long that they mindlessly line up like lemmings to see what a supposed horror movie is.
Not that you care or would appreciate the difference, but the wife of a reviewer for a horror magazine went out of her way to write this to the director after seeing the rough cut at press time:
"We watch a lot of "indies" and this was one of the best. I mean that. I could go on and on about the fantastic camera angles that gave points of view that most miss. It is what makes someone with a gift different than someone with a dream. Congratulations on a great flick. I can't wait to see it in its completion!"
Unless I suddenly start mixing sound like you spell, it looks like my "piece of crap" is only getting better. Think about that when you're digging through the bargain bin looking for your next $2.99 treasure :D
Old 06-15-2007, 10:43 AM
For Vendetta

Saw releasers remaking several horror classics

Evolution Entertainment has inked a deal with RKO Pictures to redo several of the latter studio’s horror classics.

The companies – Evolution has partnered up as ‘Twisted’ Pictures - will co-finance development and production of "The Body Snatcher," a 1945 Robert Wise-directed thriller that starred Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff; the 1943 pic "I Walked With a Zombie"; and the 1946 Karloff starrer "Bedlam." They've yet to select the fourth title from the RKO vault.

The deal was hatched by Evolution co-presidents Mark Burg and Oren Koules and RKO Pictures chairman-CEO Ted Hartley. They are out to writers and directors, some of whom are expected to come from Evolution Management.

Burg, Koules and Hartley will produce each picture with Twisted Pictures prexy Carl Mazzocone, with Jonathan Marshall exec producing. Movies will be budgeted at $10 million-$20 million. No distributor has been set.

In Twisted, Hartley has found producers with cash and a track record. Burg and Koules self-finance most of their genre pics. That includes the highly profitable "Saw" series, the fourth installment of which is being shot in Toronto for a fall release.

"These guys are very good at making scary pictures, and partnering like this is a great way for us to maximize the use of the RKO library and grow our company," Hartley said.

Hartley most recently dipped into the library for "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House," the Cary Grant comedy that was turned into "Are We Done Yet?," the sequel to the Ice Cube pic "Are We There Yet?" RKO was also a producer of "Curtains," the original Broadway musical that stars David Hyde Pierce and drew eight Tony nominations and a win for Pierce.

For Twisted Pictures partners Burg and Koules, entry to the library gives access to a wealth of titles they feel are still viable.

"We've thought a long time about how to update these classic titles to make them commercial," Burg said. "If these films go well, we hope it leads to more."

The Wizard of Gore director speaks

According to Jeremy Kasten, the director of The Wizard of Gore, which will have it's World Premiere next week as part of the LA Film Fest, this remake of Herschell Gordon Lewis’ exploitation classic puts an up-to-date spin on the tale of an underground illusionist (Crispin Glover) who may be performing more than just sleight-of-hand tricks since volunteers from his audience keep turning up dead.

Kasten talked a bit about his cast and what we can expect from the remake, “Despite having an amazing cast including Crispin Glover, Bijou Phillips, Kip Pardue, Brad Dourif and Jeffrey Combs, an amazing writer in Zach Chassler and amazing locations, gruesome effects and a cast of hundreds, I still managed to utterly run this ship soooo far aground.” He also joked about how fun the film is when you’re drunk, “from what I have seen, the film is fun [when] drunk... for me and you. I’m kidding of course, I can't start drinking on the really early shoot days until after lunch.”

All kidding aside, Kasten took the film into a dark place, “Okay, the movie is f*cking disturbing… [It’s] really dark in a really interesting way.” He also explains how the film has entered into new sub-genre territory, “We have a real anti-hero at the core of this film thusly we call it Splatter-Noir. Of course we kept the basic concept of what H.G. Lewis did so brilliantly, but we really tried to elevate the genre and his story and in-so-doing I think the movie becomes MORE horrific for the ugliness at its CORE. It's EXACTLY what you hope for when you hear there's a cover (I'm loathe to use the term "remake") of The Wizard of Gore with Crispin Glover as Montag.”

Bijou Phillips is one of the stars of Gore, along with Hostel 2, which just hit theaters, Kasten jokes about who would win in a fight between the two characters, “I think the REAL Bijou Phillips could kick BOTH their asses. I have not had time to see Hostel 2 yet. I've been in traction, recovering from a little disagreement with Bijou.”

And from the sounds of it, going into Wizard of Gore will only amplify the experience.

(References - moviehole.net, bloody-disgusting.com)

Last edited by _____V_____; 06-15-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Can you dig it ?

5 more remakes ? ugh ! Pretty soon there'll be nothing left to remake. Maybe then something original will finally happen. Unless they start remaking the remakes :D
Old 06-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Biggest and Best

No, I wasnt suggesting that at all. Im suggesting that the casual young movie goer has no reason to know about a film that was made years before they were born. Calling those type of people morons dosnt make much sence. Saying that would imply that if they were "smart" or not morons they would have devoted thier life to the study of horror movies. I mean, sure I like horror movies, I like to converse with like minded folks. Which is why Im here.
But my life is worth more than sitting around watching movies.

Ive never made a movie. I have no ambition of making a movie. I really dont feel the need to get on here and brag about what I have done though. This may come as a shock to you but what a group of strangers think of me itsnt really that important.

I dont know why the rest of you think Halloween is only one day a year
Old 06-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Can you dig it ?

Sooooooooooooooooooo...... there's really no need to say that what I'm currently on is "a piece of crap" I guess ? Since you haven't seen it and I would be more than willing to send you a copy just so you could watch it and say that if that if it is what you really think of it. No hard feelings. Seriously. You can bash the movie and me personally over the boards at that point and I wouldn't argue because I would deserve it. I promise.
I don't want to argue. I will get confrontational when someone tells me to "pull my head out of my ass" however. That just begs for a response. I'd prefer to just say we agree to disagree and leave it at that. If we continue to debate, that's cool, too. Let's just keep personal jabs out of it in that case. Agreed ?
Old 06-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Biggest and Best

Thats cool with me. No hard feelings here. Its all good as they say.

I dont know why the rest of you think Halloween is only one day a year
Old 06-16-2007, 08:10 AM
For Vendetta

"Dirt" star joins "The I Scream Man"

Dirt star Josh Stewart is the latest to join J.T. Mollner's The I Scream Man, according to the IMDB. Playing Bobby Mills, he joins the massive cast of Haylie Duff, Crispin Glover, Michael Madsen, Judd Nelson, Fred Ward, George A. Romero, Dee Wallace, James DeBello, Bella Thorne, Kristen Kerr, Theresa Tilly, Mikos Zavros and Yvonne Choi.

The pic follows a vengeful ice cream vendor, driven by brutal memories from his twisted past, who wreaks bloody havoc on the small, seemingly innocent town of Hooper, California.

Josh Stewart will also be starring in the upcoming thriller She Lived.

(Reference - bloody-disgusting.com)
Old 06-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Crystal Lake Slasher

Why are they hellbent on churning out so many remakes?
Has Hollywood officially run out of original ideas?
It is a shame that a multi-billion dollar industry with no less than a billion scriptwriters (I am sure) cannot think of anything original anymore to contribute to the genre.
Truly sad indeed. This is a crisis.

- Walter Savage Landor.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:04 PM
For Vendetta

"The Echo" director promises non-stop scares!

Last week it was announced that Vertigo Entertainment's remake of The Echo aka Sigaw had begun casting with Jesse Bradford set to topline. Basically a ghost story, The Echo revolves around a young ex-con who moves into an old apartment building, only to learn his neighbor is an abusive police officer who savagely beats his wife and daughter. When the ex-con tries to intervene, he becomes trapped in a curse.

Its a remake of Yam Laranas horror film from the Philippines entitled Sigaw. Casting has official begun on the film, which will be revisited by Laranas once again. About remaking his own film Laranas says, “There are so many things I wish I could have done in the original (Sigaw) that I never had the chance to. This is like a "Groundhog Day" situation to me - where I'm reliving the past or the present and making changes for the better,” but more importantly “This is also a chance for me to show my film to a wider audience.”

Laranas also revealed a few things that will be different about the new film, “There are scares in the original that are still there, but I'm pushing it up several notches. I've also written new horror scenes that I think are very unique, he explains, “The characters/characterization are much better now and the story is also tighter.”

The original film mainly took place in an apartment complex, this time the scope is larger, “There are several horrifying sequences that are not happening in the apartment… [expect] non-stop scares!”

Being that the film is going to be PG-13, it only makes sense that The Echo will be all scares, less gore, ‘We try to be faithful to the original as much as we can... [there will be] more scares, less gore. We are going back to pure storytelling and less (or no) special effects.”

After The Echo, Laranas says he has plenty more stories to tell, although he doesn’t want to be typecast, “I try not to be a typecast in the genre, but I still have a lot more horror stories to tell. I would like to someday work on suspense thrillers and dramas.”

(Reference - bloody-disgusting.com)