Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-15-2005, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by scouse mac
but he has lost his way a little in recent years, just try watching Ghosts of Mars its rubbish.
hasnt tried.....looks awful
Old 10-18-2005, 01:47 PM
whatever gets you through

For me - its a toss up between Romero and Carpenter for the two horror directors who have been continuously challenging even if not always successful. At the moment, my nod would go to Romero - but mainly because I thought Land of the Dead was a masterpiece. I thought Carpenter's They Live was fabulous - but can't say the later stuff (vampires or ghosts of mars) were anything to write home about (although, on Romero's count - Bruiser left me totally baffled).
Old 11-06-2005, 03:50 AM
Evil Dead

I've never really considered Vampires or Ghosts of Mars to be horror films. Rather they exude the feel of a western, which is a theme that John Carpenter has always wanted to use. On that note, I don't agree that he has "lost his way". I think he's just trying out different approaches to his films and he has succeeded considerably, in my opinion. These two films albeit somewhat modern, sit comfortably beside The Thing, They Live, and In the Mouth of Madness.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:30 AM
GRAVE DANCER

I didnt like Prince Of Darkness at all, I was expecting it to be really good because so many people told me it was really good. But i just didnt care for it.
Like the others from the past
The naked belly, full of cysts
Smells so good, I cant resist
I know inside this ones the best
As I eat the rotting chest
Old 11-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Evil Dead

Halloween is good, but overrated. Halloween III is where it's at! The Thing is amazing. I liked Prince of Darkness, was kinda disappointed. But come on, They Live!

Not the best director ever, but his great stuff definitely makes up crap like Ghosts of Mars.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Banned

omg you freaking noobs i mean damnit you havent seen a horror movie before have you freaking noobs get a life you noobs i mean damn. clearly the best horror movie director is George A. Ramero..... woot woot night of the living dead woot woot :D :D :D
Old 11-07-2005, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jesus1.0
omg you freaking noobs i mean damnit you havent seen a horror movie before have you freaking noobs get a life you noobs i mean damn. clearly the best horror movie director is George A. Ramero..... woot woot night of the living dead woot woot :D :D :D
and who the fook is george a ramero

:rolleyes:
Old 11-08-2005, 02:43 AM
Evil Dead

excellent point there, zwoti.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Misanthrope

Easily one of my favorite directors. So many classic films that have already been mentioned in this thread (suprised no one mentioned Dark Star or Starman). He gets a lot of shit these days but I still enjoy his films and I thought Vampires was a return to form.... James Woods was great in this film and his character was the solid, gruff bad ass tuff guy Carpenter's films have become known for (something that the remake of his Assault on Precinct 13 lacked). I have faith in him and will continue to watch his films as he is one of the more interesting American filmakers and his films will always be a good antedote to the bullshit feed to us by the Tom Hanks/Russel Crowe/ Tom Crusie driven Speilberg/Ritchie Cunningham vechicles that Hollywood churns out endlessly and that always top dipshit critic and "movie lovers" lists.

p.s I've said it before on threads on him and I'll say it again Escape From L.A was MEANT to be that BAD.... it was a tongue n' cheek pisstake showing his distain for sequels :)
Old 04-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Snake

John Carpenter IMHO is one of the best directors out there. He has a great sense of vision and brings some unique styles to films. He has also written some of the best scripts out there. I do think that most people only really know him from Halloween and The Thing, and I wish they would look at some of his other work as well.

I also see a lot of people who bash his work for various reasons, but it seems to be that they do not get the idea of what the film is about or how it was portrayed. Eg. Escape From L.A. and Ghosts Of Mars.

The one film I really feel is not his best is Memoirs Of An Invisible Man which really lacks some of his best qualities.