Old 01-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Director of the Dead

Send a message via AIM to horrorchic Send a message via Yahoo to horrorchic
FEBRUARY as NATIONAL WOMEN IN HORROR Month

The proposal was made through Ax Wound magazine. The magazine is a dedication to women in horror and discusses gender roles in the horror society.

She is quoted here from her main page on the website with suggestions and why this should happen. http://axwoundzine.com/blog/

"“Here are my thoughts on why this is an AWESOME idea:
- Because without women, the horror genre would be severely weakened. Could you imagine a horror film without a strong final girl or a bad ass vixen?
- Because after the countless trends the genre went through trying to revamp itself, femme-made horror (or horror with feminist sensibilities) represents THE unexplored sub genre that may once and for all help horror by injecting fresh blood that will help rejuvenate a genre in need actualization.
- Because we (women) have a right to tell sick & twisted stories!
- Because I want girls to be able to be loud and proud about being a chick who enjoys horror.
- Because I think women who work hard to devote their body of work to the genre should be celebrated.
Signed a woman who likes her films dark, raw and bloody”- Maude Michaud (Filmmaker)

WHAT COULD ONE DO DURING THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY TO BRING AWARENESS?

(I am going to put my ideas and you can also leave a comment with your ideas & I will add them to the list!)

* Host a local film screening, even if its in your living room with friends, and show movies made by women
* Write a blog post or to a member of the media about a woman in horror who isn’t getting enough attention
* Host a Women Horror Writers Reading at a local bookstore
* NOW ITS YOUR TURN- iv said enough: WHAT MIGHT YOU DO DURING THE MONTH TO BRING AWARENESS TO WOMEN IN THE HORROR INDUSTRY!?

SEND IN YOUR QUOTES and YOUR IDEAS and I WILL ADD THEM TO THIS POST! ALSO, PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD TO PEOPLE WHO MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS BLOG/or re-post on your online website/facebook/etc.

HEARTS & BUTCHER KNIVES,

Hannah"

Personally, as a women getting into the horror genre by directing I think this is a wonderful idea. I am personally setting up a day in which I will have a viewing of 'Strong Women' roles in horror. And as she said I would love to hear everyone elses' thoughts on this..."WHAT MIGHT YOU DO DURING THE MONTH TO BRING AWARENESS TO WOMEN IN THE HORROR INDUSTRY!? "
Old 01-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Corpse Kicker

Anne Rice

As a dark erotic/romantic horror writer Anne Rice would be a great mention.:cool:

Last edited by sopater; 01-07-2010 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Adding a picture
Old 01-14-2010, 01:39 AM
Director of the Dead

Send a message via AIM to horrorchic Send a message via Yahoo to horrorchic
Well that would be for the writers and books portion but we were looking at more like film. So people like Jaime Lee Curtis who is a scream queen or
Kathryn Bigelow with directing Near Dark. I personally want to focus on the directors seeing how I'm an aspiring Female Horror Director.