Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Wicked Witch Of The North

Send a message via MSN to BookZombie Send a message via Yahoo to BookZombie Send a message via Skype™ to BookZombie
What are the latest books you acquired?

Ok since there is not an acquisitions thread in the book section either I hope it is okey that I make one. What are the latest books you acquired?

Lately I have gotten:

Vampire Knight Box Set Book 1 to 10 by Matsuri Hino
Guild Hunter Novel: Angel's Blood by Nalini Singh
Guild Hunter Novel: Archangel's Kiss by Nalini Singh
Guild Hunter Novel: Archangel's Consort by Nalini Singh
When Night Fall by Kaitlyn O'Connor
How to Become a Witch by Amber K
A Witch's Travel Guide to Astral Realms by D.J. Conway
Tarot Spreads and Layouts by Jeanne Fiorini
Her Wiccan, Wiccan Ways by Traci E. Hall
Stargate Atlantis: Homecoming by Jo Graham and Melissa Scott
Android Karenina by Leo Tolstoy and Ben H Winters
Blue Bloods Book 1: Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz
Special Topics In Tarot Series: Tarot Tips by Ruth Ann Amberstone
Alex Craft Book 1: Grave Witch by Kalayna Price
Vampyre Sanguinomicon by Father Sebastiaan and Konstantinos
The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff
Ud�delig Spenning: Midnattsblod by Chloe Neill
M�rke Krefter: Blodets Sang by Kim Harrison
@}->-If you are ever attacked by vampires, held hostage by aliens, haunted by angry ghosts, put on a zombie's menu, stalked by an undying killer or in other ways find yourself in a horror movie situation, never, ever go near the bathroom!-<-{@
Old 03-16-2011, 04:42 PM
From The Beyond

I haven't bought a book for quite a while but just to contribute I think you may like these:-
A Beginner's Guide To Astral Projection-Richard Craze
Principles Of Wicca-Vivianne Crowley
Wicca:A Guide For The Solitary Practitioner-Scott Cunningham
One Witches World-Patricia Crowther
A Practical Guide to Witchcraft and Magick Spells-Cassandra Eason
Druidcraft:The Magic Of Wicca and Druidry-Philip Carr-Gomm
Guide To Druidry-Phillip Shallcrass
Lid Off The Cauldron-Patricia Crowther
Seasonal Magic-Paddy Slade
Rites and Rituals Of Traditional Witchcraft-Tony Steele
Dancing With The Juggler-Carolynn Clare Townsend
Moon Mysteries-Jan Brodie
The Scared Earth Guide-Michael Howard
The Spirits Of The Earth-Jaq Hawkins
I'm not sure if they are still in print but you get the idea. Whether you or anyone else considers them fiction or non fiction is entirely open to interpretation.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to BookZombie Send a message via Yahoo to BookZombie Send a message via Skype™ to BookZombie
Thank you for the list. I love many of those books, like Wicca A Guide to the Solitary Practitioner which is my second favorite occult book. I have a fair number of the books on the list, and quite a few more on my wish list, but it was a few I was not aware of so thank you, they are going up on my wish list. To me such books are not fiction, however even if you do not practice occultism, they can be good source material to write occult stories and the like.

I forgot a few books when I wrote up my list yesterday:

Tarot by Sasha Fenton
Se Inn I Fremtiden by Julia Parker
Spå I Hånden by David Brandon-Jones
Energi by Lone Hertz
Teachings Of A Grand Master by Richard Behrens

And I got the book Service Call by Cheryl Dragon for Kindle.
@}->-If you are ever attacked by vampires, held hostage by aliens, haunted by angry ghosts, put on a zombie's menu, stalked by an undying killer or in other ways find yourself in a horror movie situation, never, ever go near the bathroom!-<-{@
Old 03-17-2011, 12:05 PM
From The Beyond

I completely agree they are great source material for occult stories. In my youth I read some books on shamanism that are even deeper than the ones I own. If you want to go even further into reading books on occultism shamanism is definitely the place to go-but not for the faint hearted of course. But anyway its great to see someone with some of these books I hope you enjoy the ones you don't have if you get them :)
Old 03-18-2011, 01:19 AM

I agree Shamanism is a interesting path, or paths as there is many of them. However for books on it older books are better, there is allot of pop books on Shamanism being published lately. Now do not get me wrong, many of those books have interesting New Age methods, but for learning about something closer to the root, or if you are looking for horror source material then older books are better usually.

I think I will enjoy the books you listed that I do not already have, they seam interesting and I think they will be informative.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:38 AM
From The Beyond

Wow I'm made up that you realise that a lot of the new books aren't very deep and the older ones are closer to the root of the subject. I will try and find out which old Shamanism books I've read as they fully explored the cosmology of shamanism in that there is a lot more to this path than meets the eye, I could do with reading them again as I think I am more equipped for it than I was back then. It actually transcends this planet and is more about connecting with the universe. A lot of the books I've mentioned are more about earthly concerns that's not to discredit them as they are excellent and informative but they are the tip of the iceberg. For me personally the paths of shamanism truly explore beyond the veils of life and death.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
All magic books have gone downhill since the birth of Llewellyn.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:43 AM

I respectfully disagree. I enjoy a number of Llewellyn titles. Off course it depends on what you are after, they have some deep books, but allot of it are very New Agey, however that do not mean they are bad. I enjoy New Age.

I got Simply Fortune Telling With Playing Cards by Jonathan Dee in the mail yesterday. Also I was at the Alternative Convention in Bergen, a big new Age meet up and there I bought Gaven (The Gift) by Lili Bendriss one of the most famous Norwegians mediums.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 AM
From The Beyond

I think on the subject of magic, paganism and the occult you can never read too much (unless like me you're temporarily burned out lol). Yes some books aren't very deep but they are very accessible and if that's what gets people interested then fair enough. I think it just becomes a problem when people read just one book on a subject then claim to be "gurus" on it. For me yes the older books are certainly deeper and I think have more substance to them but like bookzombie says it depends what you are after and with information more readily available than its ever been there's plenty to choose from.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:17 AM

This is how I see it. There are a fair number of older books which are fluffy to, however 50 plus years ago you did not go out and publish an occult book unless you really, really cared for the subject. It was not that much money in it and the chances of ridicule was enormous. Today the occult is extremely popular, any book about it is sure to sell. There are still published amazing, deep books, like Modern Magick by Don Kreig, however there are also allot of flush published. It is not that there are no deep books published, but the noise to signal ratio have gone up.

But again the more modern, light stuff can be great to. I use several books that are considered rather fluffy and I enjoy them and they enhance my practice. I think one need a little of both at times. I also certainly agree that if one is an occultist then on can never read to much.

Tags
books