Old 04-14-2010, 07:45 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Also I just can't bring myself to pay for MP3s.
Yes...pay. That's what I do.

I've personally never bought a CD in my life. I've been gifted a few over the years. I've never really been a fan of music of my era. I lean towards the 60's-80's and whilst there are CDs available for those time periods I was still never that bothered. When I wanted to hear music I would always just listen to the radio up until about five years ago when I got my first MP3 player and started downloading. Whilst the quality isn't as good it's good enough for me and it's quick.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 04-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretchucker View Post
Yes...pay. That's what I do.

I've personally never bought a CD in my life. I've been gifted a few over the years. I've never really been a fan of music of my era. I lean towards the 60's-80's.
Thats Interesting..

WHat kinda old stuff do you like..
Old 04-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
I like VHS, especially for pre-dvd horror films, it's actually my preference for those...not sure if it's a nostalgia thing or what, but to me they just feel at home there. No, I don't like fucked copies played on fucked players that make the picture bend half way through or make constant squeeling noises, but yeah I do like the format.
Do have much of a VHS collection dude? I always find it interesting to see what other people have because I'm a geek :D

People over there seem to strike some really fucking good stuff compared to NZ.

Every couple of months I seem to strike a few gems at second hand/op shops but most of the tapes these days are from the mid to late 90s. I'm more after pre-90s trashy shit.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:49 PM
That fucking Guy...

Not too great a VHS collection, but so many like op-shops, thrift shops have them...so cheaply...
I actually HAD a brand new unopened copy of darkman, with an original star trek next generation pamphlet inside....but, I can't find it for the life of me...
I've got around 60 that I've picked up over the last couple of years, some are in great condition, some, not so much so, but they're all watchable.
I'd list 'em all but, yknow, that would mean getting up.
What can I see from here?
Hellraiser 1&2, vault of horror stuff, young poisoners handbook, vendetta, identity, eve of destruction, defending your life, a man in uniform, the sword in the stone, syngenor, thrill seekers, dead babies, this is horror stuff, wheels of fire, the protector, one crazy weekend, thx1138, enemy territory, junkboy, some dune series, the mighty, the dark half, the monster squad (brand new), sometimes they come back, awakenings, without a clue, wedlock....about triple that from what I can see, and then there's the recorded-from-tv movies I've found on the day before council clean ups, got about 20 of those too.

Always a great way to spend cash if you've not got very much...go support your local charity or whatever, and get cheap shit...occasionally I will go to a second hand music/dvd/vhs store, but they're not quite as cheap.
I do pretty well vhs wise here though yeah.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Misanthrope

Do you mean this Enemy Territory? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092969/

I've been looking for that for years.

For sure it's always good to support local charities especially when you get some cool stuff for next to nothing.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:12 PM
That fucking Guy...

Yeah, that's the one.
Case isn't in shit-hot nick, but the tape runs fine.
If you wanna get me whatever it'll cost to get it to you, it's yours.
I'm not that big a collector, so it's no real concern to me...

Hey, do you do this?
To make sure an old tape is gonna run without problems, or minimising problems, I usually chuck 'em in the player, and FFWD (on stop, not play) them to the end, RWD them the same way, then repeat that process before playing them?
I always imagine it gets them loosened up, might shake off some dust etc.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
I love cassette tapes and vhs. That warbly audio on really old ones sounds neat, and also means they were well loved before my ownership. I got The Cure's wish album on cassette from a thrift store and it's thin in some spots so I know which songs the pervious owner liked, and imagine who they were and stuff. I also have a well loved vhs copy of Disney's Alice in Wonderland, the audio being warbly makes it so much creepier and trippier. I would never replace it with a dvd.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Hey, do you do this?
To make sure an old tape is gonna run without problems, or minimising problems, I usually chuck 'em in the player, and FFWD (on stop, not play) them to the end, RWD them the same way, then repeat that process before playing them?
I always imagine it gets them loosened up, might shake off some dust etc.
Yeh man I do that for sure. Mainly when I first play I tape I've picked up from somewhere. It keeps the tape aligned properly in your player stopping it getting fucked up along the bottom.

I'll get back to you about that tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmacabre View Post
I love cassette tapes and vhs. That warbly audio on really old ones sounds neat, and also means they were well loved before my ownership. I got The Cure's wish album on cassette from a thrift store and it's thin in some spots so I know which songs the pervious owner liked, and imagine who they were and stuff. I also have a well loved vhs copy of Disney's Alice in Wonderland, the audio being warbly makes it so much creepier and trippier. I would never replace it with a dvd.
Yeh tapes certainly have a lot of character don't they :)
Old 04-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
Thats Interesting..

WHat kinda old stuff do you like..
Well I'm the kinda person who's more into individual songs then bands, so I have quite a big variety of songs. The only artist I'd say I really follow a lot is David Bowie. I swear, the second he goes on tour again those tickets are mine!

I like a few Aha songs, a lot of old rock songs like Paranoid, Jailbreak, Out in the Fields, Girls Girls Girls, quite a few Kiss songs, most Queen stuff etc.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 04-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
As much as I read, I've thought about a kindle. Most readers I have talked to that have one love theirs, even those that weren't too sure about it. But I just love the feel of books too much, not sure I could give that up.

I do like VHS, but I admit I rarely watch them anymore.