Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-01-2007, 01:54 PM
TRY ME, I DARE YOU

Send a message via AIM to halloweenfreak1
the point to my rambling is that american horror can indeed stand on its own two feet. it just needs to stick with the original slasher type films.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Atrocity Exhibition

Quote:
Originally Posted by halloweenfreak1 View Post
but its the slasher films that americans have come to know and love, all of the legendary american horrors excluding the excorcist and hell raiser are slasher films.
No they're not,There are tons of legendary american movies that are'nt slashers or the excorcist or hellraiser.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to XtRaVa Send a message via MSN to XtRaVa
Quote:
Originally Posted by halloweenfreak1 View Post
the point to my rambling is that american horror can indeed stand on its own two feet. it just needs to stick with the original slasher type films.
Yeah it can. Thats why it annoys me when they just make re-makes of existing asian horror, and even just bad remakes of original american horrors just because the new american youth (and england too (I went out in my deluxe Michael Myers mask, and girls in their teens and 20's were asking who I was...............Ridiculous but true)) are too ignorant and lazy to see the originals (or even know of them), so they re-make it with good looking men and women who play 17 year olds.

They should stick to what they know, but try and be original at the same time, not just rip-off other movies, or churn out re-makes...

1,2 Michael's coming for you...3,4 Better lock your door...5,6 Grab a crucifix...7,8 Better stay up late...9,10 Never sleep again.

Last edited by XtRaVa; 01-01-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to XtRaVa Send a message via MSN to XtRaVa
Yeah, I mean I watched the original Halloween the other day, and I have to admit it was very slow by todays standards and therefore almost boring. But I still remember how good it was the first time I watched it, and it will always be a classic.

1,2 Michael's coming for you...3,4 Better lock your door...5,6 Grab a crucifix...7,8 Better stay up late...9,10 Never sleep again.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:25 PM
TRY ME, I DARE YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRaVa View Post
Yeah it can. Thats why it annoys me when they just make re-makes of existing asian horror, and even just bad remakes of original american horrors just because the new american youth (and england too (I went out in my deluxe Michael Myers mask, and girls in their teens and 20's were asking who I was...............Ridiculous but true)) are too ignorant and lazy to see the originals (or even know of them), so they re-make it with good looking men and women who play 17 year olds.

They should stick to what they know, but try and be original at the same time, not just rip-off other movies, or churn out re-makes...
I couldnt have said it better myself
Old 01-02-2007, 04:20 AM
Evil Dead

When one considers Italian giallo films, I'm not sure how original the American slashers were. Personally, I'll take Bava and Argento films over most of the American slashers.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:16 AM
TRY ME, I DARE YOU

there is really only a few core movies america made that became legend. there are many good films but only a few great.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer666 View Post
When one considers Italian giallo films, I'm not sure how original the American slashers were. Personally, I'll take Bava and Argento films over most of the American slashers.

i think the italian slashers owe a lot to the american ones.
the italians (technically) did it first but never had the critical acclaim and exposure that the americans had ('halloween' blew 'bay of blood' out of the water for the impact it had worldwide)

There several italian ripoffs of Halloween, and The Exorcist, and Escape from New York.

It wasnt until years after seeing the inferior rip offs of american films that i began to realize that a lot of other films origionated in Italy ... notuntil i began to delve into the genre a lot deeper.

the casual viewer has no idea the italian films exist.
I'm willing to bet the more people in italy know Halloween than they do Bay of Blood. Everyone wants the american product.

i'm not saying this is the ideal situation - but it's reality
Old 01-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok View Post
i think the italian slashers owe a lot to the american ones.
the italians (technically) did it first but never had the critical acclaim and exposure that the americans had ('halloween' blew 'bay of blood' out of the water for the impact it had worldwide)
In addition to doing it first, I'd argue that the Italians (and Canadians - Black Christmas) did it better. I don't judge the value of a film solely on the basis of box office returns. Halloween was certainly more popular but wouldn't have been possible without Black Christmas, Twitch of the Death Nerve, and some others.

I agree completely that the American films have done a great service by getting people interested in the genre, leading them to experience foreign films. It certainly worked that way for me.

Remakes do tend to piss me off, however, I suppose I could try to view all the American remakes of Asian horror as flattery rather than just exploitation.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:03 PM
TRY ME, I DARE YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer666 View Post
In addition to doing it first, I'd argue that the Italians (and Canadians - Black Christmas) did it better. I don't judge the value of a film solely on the basis of box office returns. Halloween was certainly more popular but wouldn't have been possible without Black Christmas, Twitch of the Death Nerve, and some others.

I agree completely that the American films have done a great service by getting people interested in the genre, leading them to experience foreign films. It certainly worked that way for me.

Remakes do tend to piss me off, however, I suppose I could try to view all the American remakes of Asian horror as flattery rather than just exploitation.
so really what you are saying is that american films are good only as warm up films so you can be lead on to bigger and better foreign films. If so i would have to disagree entirely. Black Christmas was one of my all time favorites, so you cant call me bias, but Halloween was better in every way shape and form in my perspective.