Old 11-30-2014, 01:44 AM
Evil Dead

Will have to check that one out...have the original 1927 that I still haven't watched yet.
THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE (1959). Way tasteless bold little flick that has a certain deviant charm to it. As 10CC'S pointed out "The things we do for Love"...
Old 11-30-2014, 07:31 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomstranger View Post
'The Cat and The Canary' (1939)
-Bob Hope

Plot:
When an eccentric family meets in their uncle's ancient mansion on the tenth anniversary of his death for the reading of his will, murder, madness (and comedy) follow.

Phantoms Review: Bob Hope's first starring role. Hysterically funny , but also is a beautifully filmed 'old dark house' style mystery. Plenty of laughs and old school chills. Very enjoyable.
I'll have to check that out. I might have seen it as a kid. Always liked Hope. And Bing more so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
Will have to check that one out...have the original 1927 that I still haven't watched yet.
THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE (1959). Way tasteless bold little flick that has a certain deviant charm to it. As 10CC'S pointed out "The things we do for Love"...
Was always curious to see that film. So how would you rate it out of 10? (great song! one of the best compositions in rock).

Last edited by Sculpt; 11-30-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:58 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Black Friday (1940)

Karloff plays a only slightly mad doctor who did a brain switch between a dying mobster and his fatally injured Academic friend. The Gangster (now in the other body) comes back incognito to get revenge on his old gang, lead by Bela Lugosi.

Though the 2 horror icons headline the poster, surprisingly it is the acting of Stanley Ridges that steals the show. He is hypnotic as he switches between the mild mannered professor and the tough guy mobster. The film is an entertaining watch but disappointing as Karloff and Lugosi never share a scene.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:04 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I'll have to check that out. I might have seen it as a kid. Always liked Hope. And Bing more so.

Was always curious to see that film. So how would you rate it out of 10? (great song! one of the best compositions in rock).
Sorry-guess I was zoning out after all the snow shoveling the last few days. Would give TBTWD a ***1/2...not technically good, but pretty ballsy and sleazy for its time and well worth a look or two.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Evil is Better

Blood Beast Terror

So I actually liked this. Its not without its flaws: Unexplained sciences, random hypnosis, transforming clothes, and a weak resolution. It has a good story though, a cool looking monster and is an enjoyable interesting watch.

7/10

The Colossus of New York

Really enjoyed this one. The monster is terrifying and I love the trope of ones hubris being their downfall. This movie also raises an interesting question of whether he was driven mad by his new monstrous body or by the absence of a soul.

8/10

Old 12-04-2014, 02:01 AM
Evil Dead

THE MASK OF FU MANCHU (1932). Fantastic Boris Karloff vehicle which is full of sexual tension (Myrna Loy almost steals the film from Boris), unsavory torture and extremely non PC dialogue, all in 67 short frantic minutes. Could not have made this a couple of years later, for sure. ****1/2
Old 12-04-2014, 08:04 PM
Cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
THE MASK OF FU MANCHU (1932). Fantastic Boris Karloff vehicle which is full of sexual tension (Myrna Loy almost steals the film from Boris), unsavory torture and extremely non PC dialogue, all in 67 short frantic minutes. Could not have made this a couple of years later, for sure. ****1/2

Boris was a great Fu Manchu!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 12-05-2014, 03:26 PM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Boris was a great Fu Manchu!
Racist :-)

Coincidentally, I was planning on watching that again tonight..
Old 12-09-2014, 12:22 PM
fanged menace

and...

the devil rides out.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Evil Dead

The Innocents

This was a very suspenseful ghost story that I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It had some scary scenes, and it was really creepy and atmospheric. The kids put on unsettling performances while the governess also has an amazing performance. Would I buy this on DVD? Probably not, but it was an immensely unsettling gothic ghost story.

9/10