Old 08-04-2004, 10:31 AM
Returning after eternity.

Re: i saw the movie

Quote:
Originally posted by nerble
and yes there was laughing. for example at the part where ivy goes into the room and starts slapping noah. and then more laughter at the heartrending cries of noah, a mentally challenged man who doesn't really know what he's done and the person he loves most in the world hates him. comedy gold! if you're a heartless moron!

the fact that you use the laughter in the theather of the unfeeling and unbathed among us to defend your review tells me a lot about you.
Actually, I was laughing at the horrible acting.

Also, there were some genuinely funny parts in the movie, not just "let's make fun of the retard" laughter.

Good way to be a cynic. :rolleyes:
Old 08-11-2004, 08:37 AM
Dorkusv

I cracked up pretty bad at the magic rocks, but I think that was the only time I was awake during that terribly boring movie. What a waste of money.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:35 PM
Scares Little Kids

Location: I live in Sydney, in New South Wales, which is in Australia :)
totally agreed

signs was NOT scary at all
Can you imagine the feel of terror? The feels of several sweat drops dripping down your neck from fear? Can you imagine the perfect murder? Can you imagine yourself being in the centre of attention in a true perfect murder? You cannot imagine all the fear summed up inside the world to make a true murder. Not even in your worst nightmares. In a murder, you scream and shout so loud for your life. But there is no one there to hear it. Does sound exist if no one hears you? A killer stalks you with a long butcher knife, or an axe. You turn around a stream so loud, the loudest you had ever screamed in your entire life! Your inner mind hears a thousand cries for help, but only one of them can make it through. You try to escape; you run, you hide, but the killer can find you. Whether you are hiding behind a tree, or hiding under your bed, the killer knows you are there. It knows, and it can tell. All these murders never happen in the light, in the afternoon, in the morning, but in god’s eyes, it does, and it happens, every single minute of the day, in the dark.
You can tell when it is a bad night. It could be a full moon night, or Friday the 13th, or it could be just a bit more quiet, and a bit more dark, and the breeze may be a bit cooler, and the crows will fly a bit higher.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:15 AM
tocada

Quote:
"It's never a good sign when the audience is tittering, chuckling, and laughing out loud throughout a film that was intended to be serious, but at least some folks had a better time than I did."
Uhm, yeah. That would be me, laughing like mad all throughout the movie and being shushed by my mean betraying friends. Glad to see I'm not the only one.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:15 PM
waspman47

I completely disagree. William Hurt aside (The way he......reads his........lines is.....................annoying) the movie was great. Sure, you saw the twist coming a mile away but the basic premise of the film was an interesting idea. You people are judging it far too harshly. And at the risk of being completely unpopular, my favortie film by Mr. M Night is Unbreakable. I'll just sit back and let the outrage pour in.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Evil Dead

Glad you enjoyed the movie.

Take care,
Staci
facebook.com/staciwilson
Old 01-23-2005, 06:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by waspman47
I completely disagree. William Hurt aside (The way he......reads his........lines is.....................annoying) the movie was great. Sure, you saw the twist coming a mile away but the basic premise of the film was an interesting idea. You people are judging it far too harshly. And at the risk of being completely unpopular, my favortie film by Mr. M Night is Unbreakable. I'll just sit back and let the outrage pour in.
I think unbreakable is brilliant ...
It gets better with every viewing also ...
A brave bold take on the comic book theme .. especially considering all of the hight-tech cgi super hero movies
pouring out of the studio ..

but The Village ..
Man .. i cant recommend anything about this film ..
The acting was deplorable - from everyone ... Hurt is so bad in this film ... I remember when this guy could do no wrong, Body Heat/Children of a Lesser God, etc ... but he's headed for the bargain bin if this keeps up..
And Ronnie Howards daughter's performance .. what a calculated formulatic horrible interpretation that was ...

Seeing this film was like having your 4th date with a beautiful woman who says all night long 'i cant wait to get you back home into bed' - all through dinner she's rubbing her bare foot on your crotch under the table - while licking her lips salaciously ....
You notice that by the end of the date her hair is starting to look funny and her makeup is a bit off .. but still there is so much promise of a good time you keep interested.
Then you get home and she says ' Just kidding !! See Ya !!!

Or even worse .. turns out she's a guy.

thats about the best analogy i can come up with re. the village.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:47 PM
tide de luz

I'm a bit confused about your review, as I consider it a blind attack without deep consideration of the actual film.

Being an enormous fan of both the Sixth Sense and Signs, I have no reason to believe that M. Night Shymalon's craft is lifeless-- let alone depreciating. Likewise, after watching the Village with high expectations and having them met, I have reason to reply to your review.

My intention isn't to warp your established opinions, but rather to enlighten you with a further understanding of the movie.

Quote:
Every village needs an idiot -- and M. Night Shyamalon is hoping it's you
Thus, any following opinion of mine is voided as senseless... I'll assume this is simply a fallacy :)

Quote:
Still, Ivy runs across open fields, climbs stairs and dances with abandon. She also has an amazing command of her eye-lead, uncannily glancing at people as they speak or looking in the direction of sounds -- or could it be that the actress, who was not auditioned for the role, simply spent too much time in boot camp and not enough in blind camp?
As for running in open fields, climbing, recognizing objects around her -- after 20 odd years (did she give her age?) of living in the same environment under the same debilitation, it's completely understandable for the body to become more acutely aware of its other senses to survive. Later in the film, Ivy counts steps under her breath (a universal method among the blind live a mobile life), which is a rational explanation for her consciousness to the different homes/landmarks throughout the village.

As for looking at people when they speak, I perceived it as both her raised courtesy (is it not impolite to look somewhere else as someone’s talking to you?) and her desire to act and blend with the rest of the community. I found her performance to be both subtle and accurate (or am I carping this section of the review?).

Quote:
the twist is easily guessable so early on it's like a kick in the teeth when it finally comes
Perhaps I am an idiot -- as I too figured out the twist before everyone I knew that watched the movie. Yet I "caught" it much closer to the end. Can you recall the exact moment that you figured it out in the beginning? Or is this an attack on perceived predictability?

Quote:
The Village's most unforgivable transgression is that it's boring. It's clumsy, predictable, ponderous and downright dull
Definitely an opinion I can't change, however, I do feel that you didn't give the film its due chance.

Quote:
line that got the most laughs -- Ivy holds up a leather pouch and alludes to the fact that she can leave the village unscathed because she has the "magic rocks"
Wasn't the intention of the line supposed to be silly? As Ivy already knew the truth of the "creatures", a slapdash talisman to coerce the two other boys into following seemed completely logical and reasonable. Surely you must have been laughing at the two boys for listening to Ivy's statement...

Although I agree with your belief that the advertisements were misleading -- the film was more a story of "values" and "love" rather than pure horror -- you did not give the film it's deserved credit, but instead associated it's poor advertising and labeled a "poor film"

Take care
-kevino