Old 04-03-2004, 03:36 PM
Banned

This story makes me sick

Jury Debates in Texas Mother's Murder Trial
Deanna Laney Says God Ordered Her to Bludgeon Sons to Death
By LISA FALKENBERG, AP

TYLER, Texas (April 3) - A jury on Saturday began deliberating whether a homemaker was insane when she used rocks to bludgeon two of her sons to death and severely injure a third after receiving what she claimed were orders from God.

Deanna Laney, sitting several feet away from a poster-sized portrait of her three children, wept uncontrollably as prosecutors portrayed the killings last Mother's Day weekend as deceptively planned and coldly executed.

"It was graphic, it was horrific and it was brutal," prosecutor Matt Bingham told the jury during closing arguments earlier Saturday.

Laney, 39, has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to murder in the deaths of 8-year-old Joshua and 6-year-old Luke, and serious injury to a child for the beating of Aaron, now 2.

Bingham pounded his fist in his hand as he recounted Joshua's killing: "He got strike after strike after strike on his head to the point that his brains were coming out of his head like liquid."

Defense attorney Tonda Curry began her argument by asking the jury why a deeply religious woman known as a loving, devoted mother who homeschooled her children would kill two of her children and maim another without so much as a tear.

"There was no crying," Curry said. "She was insane. There is no other answer."

She recalled a tape of Laney calling 911 after midnight on May 10, calmly reporting the murders and directing authorities to her home.

"Do you remember that voice?" Curry asked the jurors, who sat solemn faced, some appearing pensive. "Have you ever heard a voice like that, so empty of emotion?"

About three hours into deliberations, the jury asked Judge Cynthia Kent for the 911 tape, the transcript of that call and the testimony of Laney's husband, Keith. The judge agreed to give jurors only the tape, saying the transcript had not been admitted as evidence and that jurors could review Keith Laney's testimony only if they cite a specific disagreement over it.

Curry stressed that five psychiatric experts, including one hired by the judge and two by the prosecution, concluded that a severe mental illness caused psychotic delusions and made Laney incapable of knowing right from wrong during the killings - the standard in Texas for insanity.

"We have five consistent medical opinions that say she's insane and none to the contrary," Curry said.

If Laney is found innocent by reason of insanity, she would be committed to a hospital for treatment. Medical evaluations would dictate when she would be released.

If convicted of capital murder, she would be sentenced to life in prison, with the possibility of parole in 40 years. If convicted of serious injury to a child, a first-degree felony, the sentence could range from five years to 99 years or life.

Laney, who home-schooled her children in the tiny town of New Chapel Hill, 100 miles southeast of Dallas, was convinced she was divinely chosen by God to kill her children last Mother's Day weekend, psychiatrists testified.

04/03/04 16:08 EST
Old 04-03-2004, 04:29 PM
Analrapist

i couldn't even read the whole thing

Thug means never having to say you're sorry.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Living Dead

Watched part of the trial on Court TV. The woman just sitting there, looking like I do when I'm not paying attention in class.

Cases like this justify hanging.

'Cause that'd be *swell!*
Old 04-03-2004, 11:57 PM
Banned

they should stone her to death
Old 04-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam The Egg
they should stone her to death
Don't hold your breath. They decided that she was insane and she will now go to a mental hospital. I cannot fucking stand people who kill kids. I remember this one story I read in a detective magazine about Timothy Dodd. He was a child molester and a killer. Well, he kidnapped one little boy and took him to his house. He forced the little boy to sleep in bed with him. The entire night, he molested him and tortured him by telling the little boy that he was going to kill him the next morning. When the child got upset from hearing this, he would comfort him. Then, when the child stopped crying and calmed down, Dodd told him he was going to kill him, again. He mentally tortured the 4 year old this way all night long. The next morning, he hung the little boy, using an extension cord. that was the worst story I think I have ever read. One good thing though, Dodd was convicted and executed.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Bane
Not divinely chosen by God , but divinely chosen by me.
Shut up, freak!!! You would condone something like that, wouldn't you? You sir, are human garbage.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Horror Fan

Ah yes, Christianity, the religion of peace...
Old 04-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Analrapist

Quote:
Originally posted by SFF
Don't hold your breath. They decided that she was insane and she will now go to a mental hospital. I cannot fucking stand people who kill kids. I remember this one story I read in a detective magazine about Timothy Dodd. He was a child molester and a killer. Well, he kidnapped one little boy and took him to his house. He forced the little boy to sleep in bed with him. The entire night, he molested him and tortured him by telling the little boy that he was going to kill him the next morning. When the child got upset from hearing this, he would comfort him. Then, when the child stopped crying and calmed down, Dodd told him he was going to kill him, again. He mentally tortured the 4 year old this way all night long. The next morning, he hung the little boy, using an extension cord. that was the worst story I think I have ever read. One good thing though, Dodd was convicted and executed.

oh thanks...
i am so going to have nightmares tonight. i can't stand things like that

damn you sff !

Thug means never having to say you're sorry.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:58 PM
Evil Dead

none

i know that if i make this comment i might get alot of crap from ppl, but oh well, i don't think anyone should ever be given the death penalty.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:11 PM
Banned

Re: none

Quote:
Originally posted by alixzander
i know that if i make this comment i might get alot of crap from ppl, but oh well, i don't think anyone should ever be given the death penalty.
Well, generaly, I don't believe in the death penalty either, but in some cases, such as Dodd, I think it was justified.