Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-23-2009, 02:42 AM
Evil Dead

The "Oz" Universe

So, I recently saw tinman and thought it wasn't too bad at all...sat right through the episodes.
Never much minded the well known "first" movie, even though it wasn't really. It was enjoyable, and I can still see quality in it now.

Return to Oz, though more a spin-off IMO was pretty fun...bit scary at the time, and really worked well, although this being said as I've not seen it in I'm sure close to 10 years.

I have often heard there was a big difference between the original "wonderful wizard of oz" and the popular first film...can anyone tell me if this is the case, and would the book be worth a read?

How about the "sequels" written by the same author? Apparently there's 13 of them...but, I couldn't find the names.
Has anyone read them? What can you tell me?

I found out Burton was going to do a tv adaptation that fell through, boy I'd have liked to have seen that.

There's seriously heaps of stuff adapted from this series, take a peek
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wiz...z_(adaptations)

Heh, all I remember is some cartoon series they made sometime around the late 80's, early 90's that I saw like ONCE.

Yeah, other purpose of the thread was for a bit more info on some of the things I've read in the link above.

Can anyone tell me if any of the completed adaptations/sequels mentioned in the movie/tv list are available on dvd in any way shape or form?
(obviously the original, return, and that michael jackson thing can sit out this question) Some were shown on tv way back when, but we're talking about the 60's here.
Has anyone perhaps SEEN any?
Old 01-23-2009, 04:15 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
You don't really strike me as the Broadway Musical type....BUT I had the good foetune of seeing Wicked the summer before last, and it blew me away. Wonderful twist on the story, with some great music.

I loved what they did with some of the characters: wouldn't want to ruin it for you incase you do check it out - they're making a movie version, supposedly - but the origins that they give for Tin Man, Scarecrow and the Cowardly Lion are nothing short of brilliant.

I've never read the Wicked books that it's based on, but supposedly they're pretty awesome as well.

I was in an original stage adaptation of the story not too long ago - I got to play (most) of The Wizard. It was one of the most fun parts I've ever had: I was essentially just a giant special effect. They had me back projected on a screen (actually a scrim, for those of you up on your theatre terms, haha), with lightning bolts flashing whenever I moved. I was a 25-foot tall shadow....and when the reveal was made, I slipped out unnoticed and the Wizard turned out to be a cute little 12 year old girl :D
Old 01-23-2009, 06:58 AM
Cranky

The original Oz books were groundbreaking pieces of fantasy fiction. They were the first fantasy books to take place in a contemporary time and were quite unusual in having so many strong female characters. They are startlingly original and unique in the world of literature. Yes, there are many differences in the original book and the Wizard of Oz film. Yes, they are well worth reading.

That being said, I don't think they're your cup of tea.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 01-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Yes, there are many differences in the original book and the Wizard of Oz film. Yes, they are well worth reading.
Just heard this a few weeks back.

In L. Frank Baum's original novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Dorothy wore silver shoes. The movie's creators changed them from silver to ruby to take advantage of the chromatic possibilities of the new Technicolor film process.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Cranky

In the book the Wizard appears differently to each character, based on his or her fears. In the book there are 4 witches- North, South, East & West. Dorothy Gale is much younger (Shirley Temple was originally cast in the role). In the Emerald City they must where green tinted glasses- this is what makes it Emerald. Among many other differences...

Last edited by neverending; 01-23-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
That being said, I don't think they're your cup of tea.
Howcum?
I mean, I know I don't go into the books I read too much, well, I don't actually read all that much, but the majority of the books I enjoy are the occasional horror that I find actually worth reading, other than, it's scifi or fantasy/adventure.
From what you've said it actually sounds pretty good, much better'n the movie.

Return, yeah I've heard good things about WICKED. I want to catch it if ever it comes to Sydney.
I'm not "into" broadway musicals (more into live performance art type stuff) but I wouldn't be against seeing them...I sat through 42nd street entertained, I guess it'd be moreso through wicked.

Hey, I don't know if you guys are interested, but I had a look just for information on the OZ series and found a place where you can read all the books, among others: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/55
Theyre all public domain now, but hey...if you wanna track down some old works you've not read might be a good place.

So what about the other "movies" and cartoons?
Anyone seen any worth trying to find?
Old 01-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Cranky

Project Guttenberg is great. One of the first sites on the net- and their goal is a worthy one.

I just didn't think you'd be too into kiddie lit, no offense intended.

There are a couple of silent versions, one with Oliver Hardy, which are supposed to be pretty good. I have never seen them.

The 1985 Return to Oz,which is adapted from one of the later Oz books, I enjoyed quite a bit- but it got mixed reviews. It has Nicol Williamson, Jean Marsh & Piper Laurie, with special effects by Frank Oz.

Stear clear from The Wiz- it's an abomination- though Richard Pryor is great, of course.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Project Guttenberg is great. One of the first sites on the net- and their goal is a worthy one.

I just didn't think you'd be too into kiddie lit, no offense intended.

There are a couple of silent versions, one with Oliver Hardy, which are supposed to be pretty good. I have never seen them.

The 1985 Return to Oz,which is adapted from one of the later Oz books, I enjoyed quite a bit- but it got mixed reviews. It has Nicol Williamson, Jean Marsh & Piper Laurie, with special effects by Frank Oz.

Stear clear from The Wiz- it's an abomination- though Richard Pryor is great, of course.
I agree for the most part on the Wiz, but the Crow sequence is cool and some of the sets are really surreal and interesting. The silent Oz movies are laughably awful. Weak stuff, which is a shame because Baum was involved in one of them. You can find them in some dollar bins.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Synthetic Flesh

I have a 3 disc special edition of the Wizard of Oz (Region 1). Amongst the special features are silent versions of the film and an animated version from 1933.