Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-12-2013, 08:43 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraBloodyCara View Post
The Catechism Cataclysm (2011)

This one has been sitting on my instant queue collecting dust for awhile. It was unlike most anything I've ever seen before, I'll give it that. Not for impatient viewers, though. It's definitely a mumblecore movie and it definitely takes awhile to actually do anything.
What's a mumblecore movie? And what was the movie about generally speaking?

Old 09-12-2013, 10:09 AM
For Vendetta

...with my kid.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Evil Dead

Black Christmas (2006)

Apparently the critics slated it, but I really enjoyed it.

Loved the atmosphere which is almost reminiscent of a Tim Burton movie in places, I thought it was definitely a cut above many slasher flicks (pun absolutely intended).

Gets a bit weak towards the end (and unneccessarily drawn out as well, I thought) but on the whole a good watch.

Not seen the 1974 original yet so can't compare it to that.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:50 AM
No, fuck YOU

"Aftershock" 5/10

If the director had skipped the boring 30 minutes party intro and just made Aftershock a gory disaster flick, this coul've been a good movie.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Undead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
What's a mumblecore movie? And what was the movie about generally speaking?
It's a hard genre to explain, but it's got a focus on naturalistic dialogue and timing, and they're really cheap to make. Here's the wikipedia page: Mumblecore

It's hard to say what the movie was about, exactly. It mainly centered on a goofy priest that was obsessed with his sister's high school boyfriend, and the two of them take a canoe trip together. Things get really weird and crazy in the last half an hour. The whole thing makes no sense, but it's interesting enough to keep you watching.

It reminded me of this other "mumblecore" movie, Septien, that was nonsensical but came together for a disturbing and interesting finale.

These movies typically start off as poorly written, strange indie comedies and turn into something a little more clever and insane.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:56 AM
For Vendetta

Mind-numbing. Build up is slow and gradual with a lot of trance-like, hazy sequences but once the second half rolls in, it turns absolutely, deliciously wicked and brutal in a real hurry.

The lead actress has done an absolutely fantastic job in her role, and Sean Pertwee shines in his antagonistic sleeves. Be sure to grab the DVD as soon as it releases because this film is a must-watch. You can thank me later.

Highly recommended.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:11 PM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post

Mind-numbing. Build up is slow and gradual with a lot of trance-like, hazy sequences but once the second half rolls in, it turns absolutely, deliciously wicked and brutal in a real hurry.

The lead actress has done an absolutely fantastic job in her role, and Sean Pertwee shines in his antagonistic sleeves. Be sure to grab the DVD as soon as it releases because this film is a must-watch. You can thank me later.

Highly recommended.

I'm on it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:19 PM
No, fuck YOU

"You're next" 5/10

I had actually kinda high hopes for this one after reading the storyline on imdb, described as comedy/horror. Turned out to be just another mediocre slasher. Not funny at all.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:11 PM
No, fuck YOU

"We're the Millers" 7-8/10 - Funny.

"The world's end" 7/10 - My least favorite Wright/Pegg/Frost movie.

"The seasoning house" 6-7/10 - Cruel.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:53 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

The Frozen Ground (2013)

Pretty adequate true crime thriller about an Alaskan trooper played by Nick Cage after a serial killer (John Cusack). Cusack plays a pretty good baddie in this (like he did in Paperboy) but the film is let down by Cage's limp and lifeless hair.

Blackfish (2013)
Mediocre documentary about a very interesting subject. It general it covers the terrible lifes of captive Orcas and in particular follows the case of killer whale Tilikum who has killer 3 people in separate incidents.

I Spit on Your Grave 2 (2013)

This was better than expected, better budget and production values. Not as hard hitting as the cult classic and more time (and violence) is spent on the revenge. The lead actress does a good job (she reminds me of the woman from Thriller: A Cruel Picture).

Last edited by Ferox13; 09-15-2013 at 01:00 AM.

Tags
movie