Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-02-2014, 04:52 PM
Drone

Thumb resize.

A nice sequel – fun to see the franchise developing. They really weren't sure how to develop Jason's background so the story is really clumsy there.

Otherwise, the producers were quick to pick up on the cute-girls-in-skimpy-clothing element and played it up considerably. The deaths were fine as was the body count. A worthy effort to take this story to a new level.

The Jaws score homage at the lake-swimming scene is priceless. Favorite quote goes to Paul: “Jason’s a legend Ginny, a legend.”

Last edited by _____V_____; 05-03-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:54 PM
From The Beyond

The Fury (1978) Really good Brian De Palma directed sci-fi horror didn't top Carrie which is a high bar to meet but it was very well done if a little colder perhaps than it ought to be. But besides that it was very good-recommended.

Blacker Than The Night (1975) Pretty good Mexican supernatural horror. A bit spooky but the pacing was very slow. Not bad though.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Drone

Thumb resize.

Weakest of the three and even weaker than the 2009 reboot.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:11 AM
From The Beyond

Demon Seed (1977) Very fun sci-fi horror movie I enjoyed it a lot.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:39 AM
Drone

Thumb resize.

It feels more like a Lifetime Network crime drama. I mean, it's an hour before the slasher even kills someone! :shocked: The head scene is cool & Leslie Nielsen trying to disco is hilarious but that's about it.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by totem View Post
It feels more like a Lifetime Network crime drama. I mean, it's an hour before the slasher even kills someone! :shocked: The head scene is cool & Leslie Nielsen trying to disco is hilarious but that's about it.
I watched this again the other day as well. I forgot how slowwww it was haha

Just bought The Omen collection on blu-Ray the other day. Hadn't seen the original in a minute.

Last edited by _____V_____; 05-10-2014 at 12:47 AM. Reason: back-to-back posts.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:50 PM
Evil Sweat

Young Frankenstein
First viewing.
Certainly not bad for the time but not as good as Blazing Saddles or other Mel Brooks movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceybethh View Post
Just bought The Omen collection on blu-Ray the other day. Hadn't seen the original in a minute.
The Omen movies are freakin' classics.
Old school evil. Perfect casting, locations, atmosphere,...
Satanic child = The Omen.
Just like possessed child = The Exorcist and possessed house = Poltergeist.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:17 PM

GIRLFRIEND FROM HELL 1989

Had a lot of fun with this movie. Some genuinely funny parts and great 80's hair and fashion.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:03 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Thumb resize.

It's still a classic but, in this viewing, I was struck at how rooted in Psycho [1960] Friday the 13th is.

It starts giving you hints with a score that openly echoes the shower scene. Midway through there is the slapped hanging light, and throughout there is the giant knife motif.

At the end is a clear juxtapositioning of Norman and his mother. In FT13 the "psycho" mom voices her dead son's wishes egging her to more guilt-induced murders (including one by a shower).

Even Jason being under the lake mimics Mrs Bates being in the basement "under" the house. Jason's mother resents the love-making counselors & Norman's "mother" resents his sexual attractions; it really does go on.

I think it still holds up 34 years later & it's always hilarious to see a young Kevin Bacon.
Good points and I agree it still holds up...for me, much better than a lot of films from that era. This scared me out of my wits the first time I saw it! Too bad about the endless cheesy sequels, though.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:07 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Thumb resize.

Weakest of the three and even weaker than the 2009 reboot.
It is pretty weak, but we saw it in 1982 and the 3-D was awesome, especially with the spear gun! Only problem was a lot of pre-teen girls were there and the noise was like jet stream!