Old 07-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Sometimes dead is better

Most Obscure Horror Movie

What is the most obscure horror movie you can think of from the 1970s to today (you may list more than one)?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Cranky

Well, I guess if I can think of it, it's not that obscure. :p

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 07-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Cranky

Okay, I'll give it a shot for real. IMDB lists this as Action/Drama/Thriller but I think there are enough horror elements to classify it as a horror film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100661/

Sonny Boy. (1989)

A small time crime boss and his transvestite wife, played by David Carradine keep a small boy prisoner in a cage on their desert compound. They've cut out his tongue, and the crime boss (Paul Smith) torments the boy mercilessly, so he grows up a raging monster. Eventually the monster escapes and goes on a rampage in the surrounding area. Cast includes Conrad Janis and Brad Dourif.

It's one seriously strange movie, and Carradine as the transvestite wife gives the performance of his career. It's never been released in any format anywhere, and had a very limited initial run. This automatically makes it far more abscure than any film any of you mention once having had on an old tape or disc in the past. I only managed to catch it on one of TCM's "secret showings" where they don't list the film in their schedule- they just pop it in unannounced.

Last edited by neverending; 07-18-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

Heavy Metal Massacre (1989) is a pretty obscure one I have...I haven't even seen a VHS tape come up on Ebay in quite a long time.

Sledgehammer (1983) is another one that is pretty obscure and hard to find on VHS.

That said, Both are awful and I don't recommend watching either unless you like being tortured...lol. My local video store (long since closed) back in the 80's & 90's had some doozies. Me and a friend rented every single horror movie they had one year. Good times, and we soon were able to laugh at seriously bad cinema and find a real enjoyment factor in it.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Evil Dead

Well, I guess I could cheat and mention a Danish horror movie, and you would most likely have no idea what I was talking about :p

But seriously... I'm thinking "Galaxy of Terror", but it doesn't seem to be as obscure anymore as it once was... and I'm not sure if it ever was for those of you who are American, but it took me YEARS to find a new copy when my old tape broke. It says a lot about the time it took that my old copy was on a betamax tape and the new one is on DVD :D
Old 07-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

I think I may have "Galaxy of Terror" - it had great box art.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:58 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandarian Demon View Post
Well, I guess I could cheat and mention a Danish horror movie, and you would most likely have no idea what I was talking about :p

But seriously... I'm thinking "Galaxy of Terror", but it doesn't seem to be as obscure anymore as it once was... and I'm not sure if it ever was for those of you who are American, but it took me YEARS to find a new copy when my old tape broke. It says a lot about the time it took that my old copy was on a betamax tape and the new one is on DVD :D
Galaxy Of Terror is a classic. It's out on DVD now in America so yeah it's not hard to find anymore, but it was for a time.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:44 AM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
This looks amazing I'm grabbing a rip of it now to give it a spin tonight.

EDIT: looks like you can still pick it up on VHS.

Last edited by Elvis_Christ; 07-22-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:33 AM
Cranky

That's amazing. I've always heard this was never released in any vhs or dvd form. It's just the kind of film you'd love, Elvis. Ferox would love it too.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:34 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
That's amazing. I've always heard this was never released in any vhs or dvd form. It's just the kind of film you'd love, Elvis. Ferox would love it too.
Yeah - I rented it on VHS when it came out (so it got a UK release for sure). Great film. I have a copy of it somewhere too.