Old 07-30-2013, 08:39 PM
ventricle

There's plenty of good choices for the couple you described. I think you want to have a horror film that not only isn't gory, but one that doesn't include material you don't want to see in mixed company -- like graphic sexual or very obscene material. You just want to have a good time and some conversation. Could be psychological, but I wouldn't limit yourself to that.

I'd recommend one of these. Whatever fits best, maybe grab a few to have one nobody has seen, or not seen for years:

Magic 1978 - (excellent psychological thriller that's scary too. Ventriloquist (Anthony Hopkins) struggles with putting his dummy down for a few seconds. If you haven't seen it, I don't want to give any spoilers)
Insomia - (excellent psychological thriller film directed by Christopher Nolan and starring Al Pacino, Robin Williams, and Hilary Swank. Williams as serial killer)
Frankenstein 1931 - (bone chilling realism and topic, striking visuals)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978 - (creepy and thought provoking)
The Amityville Horror 1979 - (scary, interesting, personal experiences conversation provoking)
Jacob's Ladder - (dark and thought provoking)
Donna Darko - (dark, mildly scary, strange, thought provoking)
Red Dragon 2002 - (Ed Norton and Hopkins battle witts, psychological thriller)
Sixth Sense -
Scanners 1981 - (people with unusual telepathic and telekinetic powers)
Se7en -
The Night Stalker 1972 - (excellent movie, reporter discovers real vampire in 1972 Vas Veges)
The Butterfly Effect 2004 - (well made thrill ride, thought provoking, more sci-fi than horror)
The Thing 1982 -

Last edited by Sculpt; 07-30-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Little Boo

Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

I'm not much of a fan of the psychological stuff myself. Most psychological movies I've watched tend to require you to follow the plotline - something I'm not much good at. I like my horror to be of the more visual kind than the thinking kind. But a lot of what you've all suggested looks good.

And my friends - well, they've only recently decided that they might be into horror. So a rather mixed bunch and trying to appeal to their tastes is going to be hard.
I'm thinking that they're expecting something that's going to be somewhat frightening, otherwise I'd have just sat them down and stuck on something with Vincent Price or Boris Karloff, but I don't think they'd really appreciate plastic bats on strings. But oh well, I can always work them up to that kind of stuff.

Anyway. I'm rambling. Thanks again everyone. I'll let you all know how things turn out.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:50 PM
Horror Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskOfPersona View Post

I'm not much of a fan of the psychological stuff myself. Most psychological movies I've watched tend to require you to follow the plotline - something I'm not much good at. I like my horror to be of the more visual kind than the thinking kind. But a lot of what you've all suggested looks good.

And my friends - well, they've only recently decided that they might be into horror. So a rather mixed bunch and trying to appeal to their tastes is going to be hard.
I'm thinking that they're expecting something that's going to be somewhat frightening, otherwise I'd have just sat them down and stuck on something with Vincent Price or Boris Karloff, but I don't think they'd really appreciate plastic bats on strings. But oh well, I can always work them up to that kind of stuff.

Anyway. I'm rambling. Thanks again everyone. I'll let you all know how things turn out.
Good luck.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:56 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskOfPersona View Post

Personally, visual horror is good, but I prefer the thinking kind of horror and I love films with intricate plots in horror or elsewhere. Good luck with your friends. If they can't tolerate violence, then they will have a hard time getting into horror, since the vast majority are violent, at least to some degree. Hopefully, as you said, you can work them up to it.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:52 PM
Little Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by metternich1815 View Post
Personally, visual horror is good, but I prefer the thinking kind of horror and I love films with intricate plots in horror or elsewhere. Good luck with your friends. If they can't tolerate violence, then they will have a hard time getting into horror, since the vast majority are violent, at least to some degree. Hopefully, as you said, you can work them up to it.
I get easily distracted. Usually by the set. Nothing like trying to follow what's going on only to be distracted by a chair, or perhaps some wallpaper, or maybe that one guy has a rather awkward facial expression.

And yeah, it's just one friend in particular. She doesn't like to see people getting hurt, even when she knows it's fake.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:36 PM
Cranky

Is this a joke?

Name some horror movies that aren't violent, no old stuff, and nothing with a plot, just good visuals, but you know- not violent visuals.

Are you sure you're looking for horror movies? Maybe a nice romcom would be more appropriate... or maybe The Village.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 07-31-2013, 03:51 PM
Little Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Is this a joke?

Name some horror movies that aren't violent, no old stuff, and nothing with a plot, just good visuals, but you know- not violent visuals.

Are you sure you're looking for horror movies? Maybe a nice romcom would be more appropriate... or maybe The Village.
I think you're misunderstanding what I've said. I mentioned my preferences of horror movies aren't towards the psychological stuff and that I prefer strong visuals of violence and gore, hence why I am asking for opinions on psychological with minimal violence.
I further described why I'm not a particular fan of the genre I'm asking for, but I'm taking into account what people are saying and hoping to be able to expand my horror interests. And if not I have people with me to explain what I just watched.

Does this clear things up for you?
Old 07-31-2013, 08:48 PM
Evil is Better

Cry_Wolf

Poltergeist

Pan's Labyrinth

The Sixth Sense

Rosemary's Baby

Cloverfield

Disturbia

The Caller

Buried

Frozen

Memories of Murder

Mother

Old 07-31-2013, 08:53 PM
Cranky

Memories of a Murder is really violent and has some pretty gory parts.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 07-31-2013, 08:59 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Memories of a Murder is really violent and has some pretty gory parts.
Does it? It's been awhile since I've seen it. I don't remember any violent or gory parts. I'm gonna have to re-watch it soon, its a damn good movie.

Honestly i don't get what the point is in watching horror movies with these parameters they've set. There should be no limits when it comes to horror.