Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-24-2010, 07:25 AM
BuyTheTicket, TakeTheRide

Guillermo del Toro's The Strain and The Fall

I read alot and have been very interested in reading these two books since i heard that The Fall was just realesed. Thing is i dont want to get sucked up into reading two less than par books when i could be reading something better. Just because someone is a good director doesnt always mean they can be a good author. So has anyone read his first book and if so please give me some reviews and opinions on them. I would trust the opinions of the vets of HDC over some book critic any day. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
As an HDC vet AND a book critic, I'll tell you The Strain is a three star read that you'll want to get from the library. And to really appreciate it, you have to be a Universal Horror geek. The imagery is good, but the writing is subpar. I haven't read the sequel, but the first one doesn't make me feel like making it a top priority. If you like The Strain, get The Fall from the library or wait for the paperback.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Mephistophiliac

You may enjoy THIS more:
http://www.amazon.com/Vampires-Devil...0912287&sr=1-1
Old 12-01-2010, 07:41 AM

Thanks Doc. Posted the thread hoping you would've read them and had a review. I think ill take your advice and just skip over them. Seems to me like they will make better movies, which hurts me to say. Ill be reading Vampires in Devil Town soon enough. Never heard of Hixon. Anything else from him i should be looking for?
Old 12-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Mephistophiliac

Vampires in Deviltown is his first novel, I believe. But the press he works with is excellent. Anything from Grindhouse is a sure thing in my opinion. Gina Ranalli House of Fallen Trees is a great traditional ghost story. Here's my Goodreads review of The Strain:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/70730943\
Old 12-07-2010, 08:14 AM

Ill be reading House of Fallen Trees before Vamps in D Town. Completly forgot about that book and very glad you mentioned it. Been waiting to get the time to sit and read it from cover to cover so to speak. Cant wait to get through these next two books. Sure you heard of it but have you read House of Leaves. I want to read that book but dont have months to devote to just one book. If anyone else has....wadda ya think of it. Is it worth the 700+ pgs.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Mephistophiliac

House of Leaves left kind of a bad taste in my mouth. Too much prestidigitating, not enough content.