Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-11-2013, 02:16 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
ED2 is a remake, not a Part 2. It's by the same director, who received the time, tech and budget to improve ED any way he wanted. And in my opinion, he did just that: made a masterpiece of cinema. ED2 is much more intense -- in story, character development, sound, lighting, camera work, effects, fun and humor.
Although I love both movies, I think it should be mentioned that ED2 is a comedy - and ED1 is not, it's just unintentionally funny sometimes :D I consider them to be two VERY different movies. ED1 still scares me after all these years - ED2 never did. But sure, I would recommend them both, but for different reasons :)
Old 11-11-2013, 02:54 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandarian Demon View Post
Although I love both movies, I think it should be mentioned that ED2 is a comedy - and ED1 is not, it's just unintentionally funny sometimes :D I consider them to be two VERY different movies. ED1 still scares me after all these years - ED2 never did. But sure, I would recommend them both, but for different reasons :)
You are so right, they are very different movies, despite one being a "remake", which is amazing in itself.

ED2 is funny. No doubt about that. I think it certainly can be slid into the Comedy shelf. But if I had to pick a category between Horror or Comedy, I would decidedly put it in Horror. I think ED2 starts out full horror, then slides into "unintentionally" humor, and then rides that tone throughout, hopping into some outlandish dark humor in spots. For me, the beginning is freaky scary, in an effect visceral way, that really gets into your bones. I thought it was really effect in keeping that serious undertone and suspension of disbelief.

The funny scene in ED1 is when Ash's girlfriend is possessed and sitting down in front of the hallway (or room) entrance, and ash starts full swing back-hand slapping the sardines out of her, to no effect. I think that moment was the inception of the ED2 horror dark humor tone.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:30 PM
Sometimes dead is better

I thought The Evil Dead (1981) was infinitely better than II. I have never really understood the love for it. I mean it was pretty good, but I just thought the original was much better. If I was to say which to watch, I would actually say watch the first over the second.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Coven of the Bloodsisters

Send a message via Yahoo to Alucard the Risen
I agree, have them both now, definitely like the first one better. I (may) be the only one here who also likes Return of the Living Dead Part 2 as well.