Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Evil Dead

I Am Legend

Let's get this out of the way, first. Yes, a new The Dark Night trailer was attached to it. And yes, we finally get to see how Heath fills The Joker's boots. I think he does a rather good job, from what was shown. In fact, my friend leaned over and asked me "Is that Jack Nicholson?" I found it hysterical, considering she isn't even aware that Jack Nicholson played The Joker before.

Now, the movie itself. I have not read I Am Legend, nor seen any of the numerous film versions. From what little I knew, I had assumed that this was your typical infection-kills-most-of-the-population / apocalypse / zombie flick. You have a main character (male) battling hordes of zombies with a rifle.

If your expecting this, and looking forward to this... you're going to be disappointed. Luckily, while I had assumed this, I wasn't really looking forward to it, and was pleasantly surprised by how different it ended up being.

Don't get me wrong, there are certainly elements of this type of film within I Am Legend. You have the main character, he does carry a gun, he does fight off "zombies", and there is an infection.

But this film is not about all that. It's about the man himself.

The story follows this one man; apparently the "last" man alive. We see him live his life, alone. The only companion being a faithful pet. He sets up mannequins in the town, interacting with them bit by bit, each day... trying to keep his sanity. He hunts, he fishes... not because he has to, but to pass the time. He borrows movies, watching films from A - Z, in order. He is part-way through the G's. He broadcasts a distress call, and he waits. When the darkness approaches, he retreats back to his house - never traveling back in the darkness itself. He has elaborate locks which he uses to secure himself. He sleeps, curled by his faithful pet, holding a gun. Until the daylight comes, and he repeats this process again. It's all he can do from going insane.

PS. I'm going to warn you now. It has a heartbreaking scene in it; most of the audience gave way to whimpers. I'll safely bet a few even shed a tear. It is exceptionally well executed, and is one of the staying points (for me.)

The film does have some exceptional scenes, which are simply dripping with atmosphere and dread. There were points in the film when you completely knew something was going to happen, something bad, and you sank down in your seat - waiting.

There are scenes which are very well set-up and delivered. The one that stands out the most being... (SPOILER... highlight to read.) when he accidentally gets caught in a trap; slips, hits his head, begins bleeding, and is hung by his foot... the puddle below him slowly turning red with his own fluids. He goes out of it, waking up only in time to hear his alarm going off, and the sky darkening. The blood will act as a calling signal for the creatures who feed on it, and he has nowhere to go... Or the scene where these creatures try lunging at him, as he barely crawls away with an injury. The only thing keeping him from being devoured is a thin strip of light, created by the side of a towering building, as the sun slowly sets. And it's setting fast.

One thing I thought especially well-done was the use of flashbacks; detailing the 'evacuation' when the infection first began spreading. One scene is delivered, split up into segments of 1-3 minutes, littered across the movie. The final flashback does not complete the scene, merely suggesting what happened, not showing it. It is quite powerful, the audience reacted strongly.

The ending was also well-done. I won't ruin it for you. So, that's all I'm going to say.

It's worth a watch, in my opinion. I'll be buying it when it comes out on DVD. It takes your infection story to a higher level. More a character study, a story about one man trying to live a life alone. Honestly, the relationship between the main character and his pet stole the film, for me.

B+ / A-

Last edited by joshaube; 12-14-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:30 PM
HDC Idol

Oh, Josh, how you tempt me...

I am SO excited about this film, but I am trying to go into film-media-lockdown as much as humanly possible before seeing it...

straining not to read your post...

Looks like you liked it, though (I scrolled down to the letter rating)... I'll have to touch base with you when I see it. :)

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 12-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Payback's a Bitch

Send a message via AIM to GorePhobia Send a message via Yahoo to GorePhobia
I agree with Josh it was a very well executed film. I enjoyed it alot. The way they make you feel dread and just feel for him being the last person makes you feel like your going insane with him.

A for me.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
Saved!- 7/10 I liked it. A nice look at religious steriotypes.

Smokin' Aces- 6.5/10 There's no way to understand wtf this film is about, and I think that's why I love it. It just goes from bad to worse again and again, and the mayhem is exciting. Not well put together at all, but it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real
Old 12-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Tenant

Sunset Boulevard (1950)

Amazing. Billy Wilder had this impeccable storytelling talent that truly had a way to sweep you away. Excellently casted and brilliantly calculated, and one of the most chilling endings to any movie, ever.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Analrapist

Elf

Thug means never having to say you're sorry.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:23 PM
mostly ghostly?

george sluizer's spoorloos (a.k.a. the vanishing) (1988)

i've seen this movie a few times, and every time i watch it, it creeps me out a little more. such a chilling look into not only the mind of a killer, but the intimate details of his life. it's gentile, and still terrifying.

8.5/10

p.s. don't watch the effing remake.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Child's play 1 & 2

>>: B-

The Motorcycle Diaries

>>: A-
Old 12-15-2007, 06:16 AM
Tenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
george sluizer's spoorloos (a.k.a. the vanishing) (1988)

i've seen this movie a few times, and every time i watch it, it creeps me out a little more. such a chilling look into not only the mind of a killer, but the intimate details of his life. it's gentile, and still terrifying.

8.5/10

p.s. don't watch the effing remake.
I love this movie. It's a real creeper, a movie that crawls under your skin and just lies for awhile.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:17 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to jenna26
Machined ~ interesting in concept, but suffered from a poor, often silly execution. Which would have been okay, if it would have at least been FUN, but it was quite possibly the most boring hour and half or so I have ever had to endure. I was actually falling asleep while watching. Now I know how to cure my sleep problems, pop this baby in, and just sleep on the couch....:rolleyes: