Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Hellraiser

Night of the Hunter sounds really good. I'll have to look for that.
The last one I watched was Eyes Without a Face, from 1960. It's about a woman named Christiane whose friends all believe that she's died in a car accident, but in truth the wreck left her horribly disfigured. Her father was the one driving the car when this happened, and he feels such a terrible guilt that he makes it his mission to restore Christiane to her former beauty by any means possible. To keep himself from being reminded of what he did, he forces his daughter to wear a mask at all times. Since she is being shut out from the world, Christiane falls into a state of deep depression and develops an intense hate for her father.
Eyes Without a Face is a slow burning movie, the type where you need to keep your brain switched on to invest yourself. The story is very emotional and tragic, and I really felt sorry for Christiane. Her father, Dr. Genessier, was not a complete monster, but he was an effective villain. He wasn't motivated by sympathy, but by a compulsive need to perfect the world around him.
One minor flaw in this movie that I didn't care for was a subplot involving a shoplifter. I wonder if the authorities would have been so kind to that woman if she was less attractive. But overall, Eyes Without a Face was a well done film. I recommend it to fans of classic horror cinema, particularly of France's contributions. I almost forgot to mention before that this is a French movie, so you might not be interested if you don't like reading subtitles.
8/10
Old 09-02-2013, 07:46 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
City of the Dead AKA Horror Hotel (1960)

This movie is quite good. Very risque material for the time it was produced. A woman revisits the scene of the New England witch trials...bad things happen.This needs to be on Phantom Stranger's "to see" list.
I actually saw this many years ago. I remember enjoying it a great deal. I'll have to look it up again.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Evil Dead

"Bride Of Frankenstein"

Still amazing to watch. A true classic
Old 09-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Evil Dead

"The Black Swan" (1942)
-Tyrone Power, Maureen O'Hara

Plot: IMDB
Soon after Sir Henry Morgan is named Governor of Jamaica in 1674, he announces that the age of the pirate is over and asks his former captains to give up their ways and sail for England. Not everyone agrees and one in particular, Captain Leech, refuses. He does accept an offer however from English aristocrat Roger Ingram who provides him with sailing information in an attempt to unseat the newly appointed Governor. In an effort to thwart Ingram's plans, former pirate Captain Jamie Waring kidnaps Lady Margaret Denby, the previous Governor's daughter.

Phantom's Review: This early 40's Technicolor film is one of the all time great swashbuckling pirate adventures. Filled with spectacular fight scenes( both sword fighting and ship battles) excellent model FX, wonderful acting and a gorgeous leading lady.
Tyrone Power is at his best
A classic .
Old 09-13-2013, 04:26 AM
Spookshow

Just this morning I have watched The Horror of Dracula, Hammer's The Mummy, and I am currently watching Young Frankenstein.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:40 AM
Horror Fan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrankensteinsGirl View Post
Just this morning I have watched The Horror of Dracula, Hammer's The Mummy, and I am currently watching Young Frankenstein.
Nice way to start the day.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:53 AM
Spookshow

Quote:
Nice way to start the day.
I know right, I'm trying to decide if I want to watch The Brain That Wouldn't Die or House on Haunted Hill (Vincent Price version) next.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:03 AM
Horror Fan

Quote:
I know right, I'm trying to decide if I want to watch The Brain That Wouldn't Die or House on Haunted Hill (Vincent Price version) next.
Perhaps celebrate today's holiday with Friday the 13th.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:12 AM
Spookshow

Quote:
Perhaps celebrate today's holiday with Friday the 13th.
Oh yea I totally didn't realize it was Friday the 13th today. I haven't watched Friday the 13th since I was like 16, so maybe it is time to dig it out of my closet full of movies. haha Young Frankenstein is finally on the Putting On The Ritz part. :D
Old 09-13-2013, 05:13 AM
Horror Fan

Quote:
Oh yea I totally didn't realize it was Friday the 13th today. I haven't watched Friday the 13th since I was like 16, so maybe it is time to dig it out of my closet full of movies. haha Young Frankenstein is finally on the Putting On The Ritz part. :D
Keep the sabbath holy, as they say. ;)