Old 08-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
Detour (short review)

~Spoilers herein~

One Wrong Turn and you're fresh meat! Gee, let's make effective use of the title of a current hit that we're ripping off. The movie was filmed under the title Hell's Highway and changed it to Detour after the success of Wrong Turn. Seriously though, It's the Hills Have Eyes...only shitty. One scene after another the viewer can't help but notice a pattern: A group of people in an RV, a rundown gas station, an accident that leaves them stranded, civilized people forced to kill. I couldn't believe how much each scene kept drifting into Craven territory. The only thing that the movie made its own were the survivors; not who I predicted that's for sure. But, looking back, I didn't correctly predict who would live in The Hills Have Eyes either. One thing that did make me laugh was that the villains in this flick are just regular looking people for the most part. The cannibals are just t-shirt and jeans kind of guys who enjoy finger-painting with their own feces. I personally think they're just misunderstood. This movie is really a waste of time and felt more like an episode of Scare Tactics towards the end. I was anticipating one of the cannibals asking "Are you scared? Well, you shouldn't be." I thought I could at least enjoy it since it was ravers getting sliced and diced. Sadly, that didn't even help. Avoid.