Old 06-05-2018, 11:27 PM
Evil Dead

THE COMPLETE SHERLOCK HOLMES COLLECTION-2006. While there have been some solid Holmes's over the years (Peter Cushing, Christopher Plummer, Robert Downey JR), for Me, it's always going to be Basil Rathbone with Nigel Bruce as his loyal and lovable Dr Watson helping out, even if Nigel's buffoonery really slowed things down and was obviously comic relief and padding.
14 films, the first two from 20th Century Fox are set in Victorian settings and are both wonderful. Later on, Universal picked them up and while there some gems here, the studios cost cutting and bringing the films to the present day didn't always work, although some good atmosphere by Director Roy William Neill (FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLFMAN) and continuing roles for Mary Gordon (Mrs Hudson) and Dennis Hoey (Lestrade).
The most fun for us are the Genre actors and the Universal Stock actors most people are not familiar with, like Olaf Heyton and Harry Cording. Excellent sound/vision and some informative commentaries as well. Overall set gets a ****1/2.
THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (1939). Lionel Atwill, John Carradine. *****
THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (1939). George Zucco *****
SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE VOICE OF TERROR (1942) Evelyn Ankers, Henry Daniell **
SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE SECRET WEAPON (1942) Lionel Atwill. ***
SHERLOCK HOLMES IN WASHINGTON (1943) George Zucco, Henry Daniell. **1/2
SHERLOCK HOLMES FACES DEATH (1943) Hillary Brooke ***
THE SPIDER WOMAN (1944). Gale Sondergaard, Angelo Rossitto. ***1/2
THE SCARLET CLAW (1944). ****
THE PEARL OF DEATH (1944). Evelyn Ankers, Rondo Hatton ***1/2
THE HOUSE OF FEAR (1945). ***
THE WOMAN IN GREEN (1945). Henry Daniell, Hillary Brooke ***1/2
PURSUIT TO ALGIERS (1945) Martin Kosleck *1/2
TERROR BY NIGHT (1946)***
DRESSED TO KILL (1946) Patricia Morrison **1/2
Old 06-10-2018, 05:45 AM
Evil Dead

Old 06-11-2018, 12:29 AM
Evil Dead

THE BIG HEAT (1953). Not a Horror film, but gripping excellent crime film that deserves a wider audience. Glenn Ford is a hard boiled Detective (kind of pre Dirty Harry) investigating and trying to quash a City wide Crime net. Solid support especially by a young Lee Marvin (with black hair...always thought it was white). His Vince Stone is a real bastard and implacable sadist abusing Carolyn Jones (INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS and TV's ADAMM'S FAMILY, probably one of her first parts) and Gloria Grahame (THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL, THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE and BLOOD AND LACE). Lee's abuse of Gloria must have been ultra shocking to audiences at the time and still packs a wallop today. *****
Old 06-14-2018, 02:54 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
THE BIG HEAT (1953). Not a Horror film, but gripping excellent crime film that deserves a wider audience. Glenn Ford is a hard boiled Detective (kind of pre Dirty Harry) investigating and trying to quash a City wide Crime net. Solid support especially by a young Lee Marvin (with black hair...always thought it was white). His Vince Stone is a real bastard and implacable sadist abusing Carolyn Jones (INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS and TV's ADAMM'S FAMILY, probably one of her first parts) and Gloria Grahame (THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL, THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE and BLOOD AND LACE). Lee's abuse of Gloria must have been ultra shocking to audiences at the time and still packs a wallop today. *****
The supporting cast really does bring The Big Heat to life, particularly Lee Marvin and Grahame.

I saw The Big Heat a few years ago, and I was a bit mixed on it. The scene of the car bomb played a bit weird, maybe even clunky, to me -- kind of hard to explain why as it's been awhile since I've seen it -- but I don't recall getting a good sense of Bannion's grief, which is certainly supposed to boost his motivation. It's a highly regarded film. I'd really like to see it again.

I didn't know Doris was Carolyn Jones! It's so hard to see. She looks so different without the long straight black hair of Morticia Adams.

I didn't know Fritz Lang directed it either. I didn't even know he was directing films into the 50's.

Last edited by Sculpt; 06-15-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:15 AM
Evil Dead

DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE (1961). Slow going at first, but then becomes quite compelling. The US/USSR have exploded Nuclear Bombs and it has shifted the Earth's axis and moving it towards the Sun. Only chance to right the wrong is explode a bigger bomb, hoping to save the Earth by going so.
Quite talky, but this really is quite good with a sense of dread permeating. Awesome matte work and good cast with Edward Judd (ISLAND OF TERROR), Janet Munro (SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON, THE CRAWLING EYE), Leo McKern (LADYHAWKE) and a very young Michael Caine as a Policeman. ***1/2
Old 06-15-2018, 06:57 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

I Accuse My Parents (1950's?)

Actually I watched it on MST3K and it was such a laughably bad black and white melodrama from the 1950's. I think my favorite line was when Joel and the robots said "Meanwhile at Black Panther Headquarters".
Old 06-17-2018, 12:56 AM
Evil Dead

WOMAN OF THE PREHISTORIC PLANET (1966). Saw this a few times as a kid and thought it was awesome. Watched it on YOUTUBE yesterday and Holy Moly! What a stinker!
However, if You take this in as a low budget flick, it's not bad. Nice to see John Agar and Irene Tsu is SMOKIN' hot...probably the reason why I thought it was awesome!
Did get a laugh remembering how one of the characters was named "Tang" and my brother said he must be named after the Instant Drink mix, so instead of "They do not want Tang to live on their Planet!", it became "They do not want Instant Breakfast Drink to live on their Planet!" **
Old 06-17-2018, 08:51 PM
ventricle

Quote:
DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE (1961). Slow going at first, but then becomes quite compelling. The US/USSR have exploded Nuclear Bombs and it has shifted the Earth's axis and moving it towards the Sun. Only chance to right the wrong is explode a bigger bomb, hoping to save the Earth by going so.
Quite talky, but this really is quite good with a sense of dread permeating. Awesome matte work and good cast with Edward Judd (ISLAND OF TERROR), Janet Munro (SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON, THE CRAWLING EYE), Leo McKern (LADYHAWKE) and a very young Michael Caine as a Policeman. ***1/2
Speaking of... have you ever seen Toho's Gorath (1962), directed by Ishirō Honda? The film is a story of mankind's efforts to move Earth out of its orbit to avoid it from colliding with a runaway planet/collapsed star. As I recall it was pretty good, and it has pretty good reviews.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:53 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Speaking of... have you ever seen Toho's Gorath (1962), directed by Ishirō Honda? The film is a story of mankind's efforts to move Earth out of its orbit to avoid it from colliding with a runaway planet/collapsed star. As I recall it was pretty good, and it has pretty good reviews.
Will have to check that one out...
Old 06-21-2018, 06:33 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Will have to check that one out...
I think you will get a kick out of it. It was impressionable on me when I saw it as a kid on one of the horror movie TV shows.

It fact, Godzilla Final Wars even makes mention of it, which as you can imagine, really floored me. I wasn't surprised they had a lot scenes inspired from the film Atragon (1963), with the supersub and monster Manda (which did not have Godzilla in it), but references Gorath was a bigger surprise.

Last edited by Sculpt; 06-24-2018 at 11:32 AM.