Old 07-20-2007, 07:24 AM
For Vendetta

Movie Bashers Inc.

If this has been done before, sue me.:p

Its common to see hate towards a particular movie. Sometimes a favorite of one person turns out to be hated by another.

Here we will feel free to dissect a movie.

- Why didnt you like it? (or) What part of it wasnt good?

- What movie makes you turn the TV/DVD player off?

- What pisses you off about it?:mad:

- (do you quietly watch it afterwards, when your hateful peers are gone or snoring in bed? Is it a guilty pleasure for you?;) )

Bash the movie, as much as you want. But dont take it personal, please. This will be healthy/unhealthy criticism of the movie ONLY, not the people who like it for some reason.:)

Ok...lets have the first one, which shares a love/hate relationship a lot around these parts...

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch.

Bring it on, folks.....:cool:
Old 07-20-2007, 08:28 AM
Tenant

Ooh! Cool thread idea, V.
I've yet to see Halloween III, so I can't participate. The damned DVD has been sitting on my shelf for ages...perhaps it's all the bad things I've heard that pushes me away from it.

But you haven't told us...do you like it?
Old 07-20-2007, 08:43 AM
Evil Dead

i agree. a great new idea for a thread. it seems like ages since one came along. lets hope they're like buses. oh yeah, almost forgot, haven't seen halloween III. sorry:) . if this was a sticky it's exactly the type of thing i come here for.
3. suspiria
4. the exorcist
5. ringu
6. tcm
7. exorcist III
8. the omen
9. haute tension
10. creep

Old 07-20-2007, 10:13 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

I'll go...

the fucking song!

Jesus H Tap-dancing Christ...that song works it way into your brain until you want to claw your ear drums out.

To the tune of "London Bridge is Falling Down" - and with an Alvin and the Chipmunks voice
"Happy, Happy Halloween
Halloween, Halloween,
Happy, Happy Halloween,
Silver Shamrock"

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 07-20-2007, 10:21 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkytrio666 View Post
But you haven't told us...do you like it?
I dont hate it. But it isnt in my list of favorites anyway.

First of all, like Rod said, that annoying song. Everytime it played in the movie I was literally close to pulling my hair off. Then the stupid make-up effects, which was totally lame.

Sure, the plot was decent...but wtf were they thinking borrowing the Halloween name for? Only to rake in the money IMO.

I had remarked once in another thread that IF Halloween II hadnt followed the story of Myers, and this one was touted Halloween II, then Season of the Witch COULD HAVE been a mild success.

Making an independent movie separate from the Myers storyline and calling it Halloween 3...it was the biggest mistake in its downfall, among a hoard of others.

(No comparison to Friday the 13th pt. V here, at least the killer in that one imitated and copied Jason's M.O.)

Thats my view.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
I like the idea that they wanted to mix up the franchise. But, if you're going to mix up a franchise and you don't want to alienate its viewers don't say "okay, you can have Michael Myers or you can have an ass sundae made with a low fat ass substitute that we synthesized in a lab so that it would taste only slightly worse than ass and have half the fat content. C'mon people, try our low fat ass substitute!" While the other Halloween movies often leave the taste of rancid ass in your mouth, at least it's actually the taste of rancid ass and stale creativity, instead of an anemic substitute for it. If it weren't a Halloween movie, people would be to this day asking "what's the name of that terrible, meandering, lameass movie with the masks that make people's head explode for no good reason?" And we'd be telling them "the Gate." If they wanted to make a set of Halloween films not directly connected to Michael Myers, why not make movies in which Doctor Loomis solves other macabre crimes and make the franchise "Donald Pleasence Adventures"? That way, following the death of Donald Pleasence, people wouldn't have continued to make paper-thin and stupid entries about Jamie Lee Curtis' slide into mental illness. The more I think about Halloween 3, the less I like it and the more I dig the original. And Halloween 5. Halloween 5 was pretty sweet.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:48 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
If it weren't a Halloween movie, people would be to this day asking "what's the name of that terrible, meandering, lameass movie with the masks that make people's head explode for no good reason?" And we'd be telling them "the Gate."
:D :D
Sweet
:D :D

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 07-20-2007, 10:58 AM
For Vendetta

Excellently dissected, Doc. Thats what is true movie-bashing.:D

(btw once you feel a movie has been bashed enough, any of you may go on to suggest a movie...which shares such love-hate relationships with its viewers)

Who knows, tony, maybe we might make this thread good enough to be stickied.;)

Moving on to our next "victim", some of you LOVE it, some of you HATE it...but whats actually wrong with

Event Horizon?

Bring in the bashings, folks!
Old 07-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Nothing's "wrong" with Event Horizon. It's just ideologically charged. If there is a non-existentialist bone in your body, then Event Horizon can be a croquet mallet to the kidneys. Lots of people like Nekromantik 2 for example, but I think it contradicts the first one's sense of affirmation too much, and Event Horizon's the same way. It's a cold , vicious environment and it has a cold, vicious message attached to it. It gets right in there and targets one's sense of existential fairness. Everybody's floating in raw, angry space. If you can dig the effects and ignore the fact that it is made to feel claustrophobic and it is made to be an assault on the senses, then you can have a good time . If you're a Nekromantik 2 fan, you can have a good time. But for the film to be enjoyable, there's a certain amount of tune-out and tune-in required at the same time and that's a challenge for a lot of people. And it's a little longwinded. Like my deconstruction thereof.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Tenant

It just tried to be too shiny. It had this kind of simple, fucked up, psychological ghost story premise, but then there were these weird CGI tricks that detracted from the scares.

All in all, though, it really ain't bad.