Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-07-2007, 10:10 PM
my opinion counts dammit

Send a message via MSN to stubbornforgey Send a message via Yahoo to stubbornforgey
She lives 2 houses down from me

dumbass' http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10444359

False rape claim woman spared jail due to mental health

A south Auckland woman who invented an elaborate story about being raped in her home by an armed man posing as a plain clothes policeman has avoided jail time because of her fragile mental health.

Nicola May, 41, a sickness beneficiary of Papakura, was sentenced today in Papakura District Court to 200 hours community work and 18 months supervision for making a false allegation to police.

Judge Charles Blackie said special conditions attached to the supervision included May receiving treatment from mental health services, being assessed and taking any treatment directed by Odyssey House and continuing any other treatment.

Judge Blackie said he was also taking the unusual direction of wanting police and all the various services that May could come into contact to be "alerted to her propensity of making false claims".

The condition was made as it was revealed by defence lawyer Colin Amery that May had made four previous false claims, three in the South Island and one in Auckland.
May was not charged in those cases.

May was also ordered to pay $10,000 in reparations, to go some way to repay the estimated $60,000 cost of the police operation her claims had caused.

Police said 30 officers had worked on the inquiry over 670 man hours at a cost of $59,382.

May stood passively in the dock and showed little emotion, looking at the judge through most of the sentencing.

May made the false rape claims in April, in a bid to win back the affections of a man she had had sex with after he helped her move into her house in Papakura.

He broke off the relationship because he was married and felt guilty, causing her to become depressed.

May confessed four days later when police inquiries focused on her background.

Judge Blackie said May had developed an "elaborate plan" to gain attention, which required considerable preparation and thought.

May cut her phone line and injusred herself internally with a vacuum cleaner pipe.
tore her clothing and tore clumps of hair out of her head, to prove she was a victim, he said.

Her actions caused a massive police operation, with police called back from leave, which had far-reaching consequences, he said.

When Judge Blackie asked if she could see why the issue had been taken so seriously, May replied "yes" and nodded her head.

There was no single victim but rather groups of victims including the community and the police, he said.

There were also the unseen victims, those women who had genuine complaints and who found it difficult to come forward because of her claims, he said.

Judge Blackie acknowledged May had a difficult background and had had problems with anxiety, depression and alcoholism.

-------------------------------------------

For all those genuine rape victims out there..
this story was probably one of the worst to ever eventuate. :mad: