Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Cranky

I assume the poster is using classic as a measurement of time- just as this forum does.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 04-28-2010, 07:22 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to milktoaste
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
I assume the poster is using classic as a measurement of time- just as this forum does.
Then the answer has to be 'no'. Neither can be 'better' than the other. One could be more colorful, creative, effective, or even profitable. If the poster wants to write a relative essay, then maybe it would be wise to avoid an opinion based topic. Or go they could go with their opinion; that's fine too, but they're the one who asked. I'm only trying to help, not to be a dick.

Classic is more than a measurement of time, as it refers to how well something endures it.
"The physical body is acknowledged as dust, the personal drama as delusion. It is as if the world we perceive through our senses, that whole gorgeous and terrible pageant, were the breath-thin surface of a bubble, and everything else, inside and outside, is pure radiance. Both suffering and joy come then like a brief reflection, and death like a pin" Stephen Mitchell
Old 04-28-2010, 08:05 AM
ita formido mortalis

This is a very interesting conversation.

'Better' is a completely relative term. If you mean better filmmaking, I'm not really sure what the answer is - early films like Vampyr and Nosferatu were made on new technology, which was kinda crappy equipment back then - but those films IMO are stunning and amazing. Films from the 40s and 50s might be campy, especially Ed Wood, but look at how clear those films look in terms of cinematography, then look at low-budget stuff from the 70s-90s, everything looks like crap (except the saturated colors of the Hammer Films, and Dario Argento I love those). Nowadays it seems any idiot willing to max out his credit cards can buy a digital camera and convince a few friends to make a crappy horror movie.

http://www.facebook.com/AperionProject
-------------------------
Old 04-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by milktoaste View Post

Classic is more than a measurement of time, as it refers to how well something endures it.

Ever heard of "Classic Rock?" It refers to a specific time period of rock music. The same concept is in play here- look at the index page of this forum and read the various subforum's descriptions.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Masoch's mistress

Quote:
Ever heard of "Classic Rock?" It refers to a specific time period of rock music. The same concept is in play here- look at the index page of this forum and read the various subforum's descriptions.
There are some really interesting points on here, but at the end of the day, everybody knows what makes him or her tick. For every person out there, there is a different opinion. The only way that I can see this paper is by taking one, subjective viewpoint and critiquing that. I just don't see how it is possible to provide a paper on the subject of opinion or reaction to horror films without being very generalised in approach x:(
Old 04-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Cranky

Yah, I agree. And since the original poster hasn't returned, I can assume we weren't very helpful...

Old 04-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to milktoaste
Quote:
Yah, I agree. And since the original poster hasn't returned, I can assume we weren't very helpful...
It was fun while it lasted.
"The physical body is acknowledged as dust, the personal drama as delusion. It is as if the world we perceive through our senses, that whole gorgeous and terrible pageant, were the breath-thin surface of a bubble, and everything else, inside and outside, is pure radiance. Both suffering and joy come then like a brief reflection, and death like a pin" Stephen Mitchell
Old 04-30-2010, 07:20 AM
Evil Dead

I prefer the classics, but as stated some newer ones are better than older ones and vice versa.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Evil Dead

I prefer most classics, there are some good modern ones but I find the classic people put more time an effort into them an there more original then most the stuff that comes out today an the two best movies ever in my opinion are the original Night Of The Living Dead & The Last man On Earth

http://www.facebook.com/ArtofTypH
http://www.art-of-typh.blogspot.com/
Old 02-06-2011, 10:46 PM
The Saw is Family

Send a message via Yahoo to Horror1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyoung_33 View Post
Im asking the question are old horror films better than the modern special effects horrors of today. (this is for my university essay, the more feedback i get the better. tell your friends)
yes it is and the special effects weren't all high tech.