Old 02-26-2011, 03:09 AM
From The Beyond

Roshiq is splintered any good?
Old 02-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Bad Natured

Deep Rising (1998). Deep Rising is simple entertainment that has no other aspirations. As such, it achieves its purpose handsomely, and those that were disappointed were likely digging for a genre that that does not exist here.

The story is nothing new, a rehashed plot and premise. Keeping it simple allows director Steven Sommers to focus on entertainment, as should the audience. That much of the action and even dialog is easily guessed is part of the fun.

The acting was standard fare for such a production, and that these actors were used mostly as vehicles of entertainment helps make this movie a success. Treat Williams as a third-rate movie hero is the perfect captain of this ship. Costar Famke Jannsen deserves more than a mere mention, not for her acting prowess but instead for being so damned sexy. The camera cannot seem to fit enough of here alluring lusciousness onto the screen. The rest of the cast were mere fodder for the action, deliciously gobbled up at just the right moments.

The technicalities were all above standards for this genre, with the directorial tone of Sommers the same here as in his other works. The camera does a textbook job of eliciting all of the correct response from its audience, and the tried and true tilts and closeups worked their magic fabulously. The CGI was probably spectacular for its time, and even today it was are more than acceptable. The editing could have been a little tighter, but that is just getting nit picky.

Deep Rising is a cinematic guilty pleasure through and through, and how we ever came to the point that movies that are pure entertainment should elicit unnecessary regret is a consideration that should be considerably considered. Merci.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Scares Little Kids

the Re-Animator
Old 02-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Evil Dead

"The Thing" (1982)
-Kurt Russel

John Carpenter's modern era classic, is truly one of the greatest monster movies ever made.
Fine acting and excellent FX along with a hell of a lot of scares.
I remember seeing this film in theaters at a sneak preview (hosted by Elvira, Mistress Of The Dark) about two weeks before it was released and being totally blown away.
The nice thing is, the film still holds up and is still a personal favorite.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:57 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearonsarms View Post
Roshiq is splintered any good?
Not too bad...a time passing pretty ordinary Britt horror flick.

The King's Speech (2010)

This is a deeply moving & very inspiring film where Colin Firth gave a tremendously convincing performance. He just brilliantly captured different sorts of ordeals that a stammer person can have or face in his/her everyday life. And in this regard, the movie just didn't remain an astonishingly true story of a King who tried to avoid the throne in fear of the humiliation & embarrassment that could resulted more & more for his problem and not only for him but also for the royal family; it also turns out a very compelling -habitual & psychological portrayals of stammering that produce routine challenges & torments for the person with this speech disorder.
The supporting cast was magnificent and particularly Geoffrey Rush & Helena Bonham Carter were excellent in their roles. It was witty at times and beautifully written in every single frame; so kudos also goes to the screen writer David Seidler for the marvelous script. And finally I like to salute director Tom Hooper for his exceptional camera works and amazing set designs that successfully delivered a very unique tone to the story till the final credit rolls.

>>: A+

Short Night Of Glass Dolls (1971)

Oh, it was a terrible download...audio was 5 minutes ahead of the video!:D

>>: B-
Old 02-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Bad Natured

Life is Hot in Cracktown (2009). Be forewarned, this is a rugged movie. The first action scene will have all but the most stolid of individuals reeling, and some frantically grasping for the remote. For the rest, set back and brace yourself for a highly polished look at a flick whose premise asks what do the dregs of the neighborhood do when they are not out in the public being scummy.

Life is Hot in Cracktown is one of those intertwining stories where we are never sure whether or not our antiheroes are going to clash in its viciously debauched denouement. This is a horrifically bleak story that thankfully makes its characters almost too polished such that it does not wholeheartedly turn off its audience. What these stories do is force the viewer into seeing that these characters, abhorrent creatures of public squalor, are not inhuman monsters whose fuel is delivered by Satan himself. Even the rottenest of the cast is a monster by day, son and brother on the occasional night. The story does not offer much hope, but nor does it wallow in the misery of the 'hood. Instead it is offers an uncompromising slice of a life that most of us could not fathom.

The acting was phenomenal everywhere, child actors included. Evan Ross plays a discomforting gangbanger, a good looking guy whose fleeting smiles appear at all of the wrong moments. Illeana Douglas takes what should have been an impossible part and sneaks in some humanity where nothing but a black hole should exist. Desmond Harrington and Kerrie Washington pull off a miracle of an impossible relationship held together by an unfathomable glue that fillips a challenge to any and all takers. The rest of the cast are just as impressive, and without them this production would have likely been shelved in vat and left alone to rot.

Director Buddy Giovinazzo takes what should have been a repugnant premise and has fashioned a movie that is accessible despite it harrowing topic. His sense of balance is astounding, twisting us up inside by insisting that we care about characters we'd just assume hate, but then allowing just enough of life's little treasures thorough to give us the facade that these people have some little thread of hope for happiness. The photography was solid, but it was the enthralling editing that captures our attention and then leaves us wanting even more. The score was perfect for this flick, at times mercilessly manipulating our emotions, at other times hinting at what might come.

The end comes together in a spectacular fashion, again to the credit of the editing. Life is Hot in Cracktown is the cinematic version of passing by a horrible car wreck and being gifted the optical carnage of an aftermath that will be indelibly burnt into our emotional memories.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:47 AM
BuyTheTicket, TakeTheRide

Exam (2008)

Pretty strait foward "solve the riddle" kind of movie. Fairly claustrophobic with small bits of tension. Overall thought they couldve done more with the characters and the premise. Multiple "movie type" mistakes and actions. Nothing really wowed me but nothing really let me down too much. Kept you thinking the whole time which i enjoy.

An OK problem-solving, tight feeling thriller. C

New Town Killer (2008)

I was let down by this one. Really liked the premise of it and i expected more from it. Thought to be a london version of Most Dangerous Game with mixtures of The Game (movie) this is hardly either. Plot holes, under-developed characters and overall not really tense as it should be. The villian was pretty good and it made you think about how much power the bored, rich, buiness type really have but thats about all it had going for it.

An under-achieveing search-and-kill movie that wishes it was the movie Micheal Douglas nailed more than ten years before this one. D
Old 02-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
Life is Hot in Cracktown (2009). Be forewarned, this is a rugged movie. The first action scene will have all but the most stolid of individuals reeling, and some frantically grasping for the remote. For the rest, set back and brace yourself for a highly polished look at a flick whose premise asks what do the dregs of the neighborhood do when they are not out in the public being scummy.
This was a great movie. Makes you feel a little better about where you live, no?
Old 02-27-2011, 02:53 PM
From The Beyond

Just finished watching The Brood, Begotten and The Serpent and The Rainbow. All good in their own way although it is a relief when Begotten ends cos its too heavy
Old 02-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Wicked Witch Of The North

Send a message via MSN to BookZombie Send a message via Yahoo to BookZombie Send a message via Skype™ to BookZombie
I love The Brood.

Anyway I just watched Cathy's Curse and yesterday I watched The Demons of Ludlow as well as Dance in the Vampire Bund anime series. :D
@}->-If you are ever attacked by vampires, held hostage by aliens, haunted by angry ghosts, put on a zombie's menu, stalked by an undying killer or in other ways find yourself in a horror movie situation, never, ever go near the bathroom!-<-{@