Old 01-29-2010, 05:06 PM
The Spine Splitter

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Loomis Send a message via MSN to Doctor Loomis Send a message via Yahoo to Doctor Loomis
passion of the christ
Old 01-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Tenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
A Woman in Berlin (2009)

A devastating tale that captures the aftermath horror of WW2 at the fall of Berlin.
Directed by Max Färberböck & based on the anonymous memoir of the same name--first published in English in 1954, and was republished in 2003, when it became a best-seller--it follows one woman's harrowing survival in Berlin at the close of World War II. At the time, late spring and early summer of 1945, the Soviet Union Red Army has pushed well into the city, heading toward the Reichstag. Berlin is in shambles, its streets bombed out, bodies frequently lying about, and the remaining inhabitants--mostly women and older men--left to fend for themselves. They run from one squat to the next, hide in cellars when tanks come down the street, and, in general, try not to do anything to get killed. As one remarks to another when hiding, "if the Russians treat them the way the Nazi army treated the Russians during its push into Russia, there won't be a German left at the war's end." And in that same desperate time of survival, for the women, that is the Red Army's men, who rape them without any fear of their officers punishing them. As in, when two female friends see each other on the street one day, the question they exchange is, "How often?"
The story centers around Anonyma...a wife of a Nazi officer, she is a former journalist who speaks French and Russian, has lived in Paris and London, and confesses at the movie's opening that she believed in what the German army was fighting for. Anonyma played by the German actress Nina Hoss delivers a masterfully significant performance. A woman faced with the choice of being subjected to rape by whomever, whenever, or giving herself to a high-ranking officer who might protect her, she chooses the latter, latching onto a major who manages to complicate her life even more.
The film doesn't reach a comparatively satisfying conclusion, it's only because it's so precisely focused on this brief moment in time toward a war's end when there are no rules, personal survival is paramount, and nobody is innocent.
This is a film that, for a whole generation, is most definitely not just a movie.

Recommended to Alky, Fortunato, NE, Doc & V.

>>: A
Noted! Thanks!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:11 PM
mostly ghostly?

Possession (1981)

Sheesh, I love this maniac-of-a-movie. Can't wait till a proper DVD release comes out.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:43 AM
Pirate of Bengal

The Three Investigators and the Secret of Terror Castle (2009)

Like Germany, Italy, India, Pakistan & many other countries The Three Investigators have also been published in Bangladesh in a remake version by Sheba Prokashoni as Teen Goyenda since the 1980s and became very popular among young Bangladeshi readers. In the Bengali editions, Jupiter Jones is known as Kishor Pasha (an American Bangladeshi). The other two are named as Musa Aman and Robin Milford. Sometimes Gina and Rafian (Gina's pet dog) join them. The chauffeur's name is Hanson. Hitchcock in the American publication is replaced by Davis Christopher, who is also a famous movie director. The character "Skinny Norris" appears as "Shutki Terry" and the famous French thief appears as "Shopa". The character Victor Simon in Bangladeshi edition appears in the place of "Hector Sebastian". The series shaped the way of life of many Bangladeshi juveniles. The main context is on American society, as the writer here probably felt that it would be very difficult to set up the plot in Bangladeshi premises.
Anyway, as a child we were like crazy about the series. There was an 'unspoken or hidden' competition between the friends that who can read a new story first & let the others known that in a great deal of pride.."Oh yeah, I have already read that". :D
Now Florian Baxmeyer, a German filmmaker have made the brave initiative to adopt some initial & the most famous stories into films; as the series was also very popular in Germany. They are known there as the "Die drei ???" (Die drei Fragezeichen, meaning "The Three Question Marks"). As an adventure film for the children it was okay, but lots of great things from the original story are missing here. The exciting headquarters, hidden in the midst of a junk yard, only accessible by several mysterious entrances [Sobuj Fotok Ek (Green Gate One), Dui Surongo (Tunnel Two), Sohoj Tin (Easy Three), "lal kukur char" (red dog Four)] are reduced to a caravan out in the open. Jupiter Jones (Our beloved Kishor Pasha...every one of us used to think himself as Kishor) a brilliant mind, full of sharp remarks and the lead role in the book is barely intelligent and quite dull here. However, I'm still glad for the chance to have watched the books come to life at last. Though there are lots of differences from our favorite series but still it was like a blast from the past and after a long time once again inspiring me to go back on the Pasha Salvage yard & open a new case file with Musa & Robin.:)

>>: B-

Wolverine and the X-Men: Heroes Return (2009)

>>: B

Last edited by roshiq; 01-30-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:44 AM
Bad Natured

War (2007). This flick, whose ultimate attraction was having Jason Statham and Jet Li come to blows, had much potential, but it seems that the Hollywood taint just could not loosen its greasy paws to let it be epic, of which there was potential. Instead we get a better than average dick flick with lots of cool eye candy. i could have done without all of the cultural explanations for all things Japanese, but i guess the American Hollywood public has probably never heard the word Yakuza and probably think it a sushi hangout. That said it was a decent flick with MTV music, pretty good fighting (loved the sword fights), and pretty decent acting overall. Guess i am sadly saying it was only a decent flick that should have been awesome. Ashe.

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:51 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
A Woman in Berlin (2009)

Recommended to Alky, Fortunato, NE, Doc & V.
Will keep an eye out for this. Thanks for the rec, bud.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:55 AM
Living Dead

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Northern Hemisphere, North America, Gaia (Planet Earth), Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Multiverse
Send a message via MSN to mlauzon
Quote:
Sounds good, I may have to track it down.

You may also like Vor (aka The Thief; 1997), I saw it then at an advance screening here in Toronto, it's the only time I ever watched it.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:38 PM
For Vendetta

Old 01-30-2010, 08:00 PM
The Spine Splitter

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Loomis Send a message via MSN to Doctor Loomis Send a message via Yahoo to Doctor Loomis
planet terror
Old 01-30-2010, 09:21 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Rent has been on TV multiple times this evening...on my second viewing at the moment. Forgot how much I love this movie...would kill to see it on stage though. As awesome as the movie is, I'm sure the stage version blows it all to Hell.