Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
A Haunting In Salem
Old 07-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Undead

I watched Silent Hill: Revelations last night because it had been staring at me on my Netflix queue for long enough.

Holy bad acting.

Might have been better if I saw it in its intended 3D, but I don't have much good to say about it. I actually fell asleep for five minutes after Malcolm McDowell's bit.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:29 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
The Amityville Haunting
Old 07-26-2013, 06:48 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

Battle Of The Damned (2013)

Zombies, Robots and Dolph Lundgren!!! How could that combination possibly miss? It can't I tell you! Enjoyable if you like low budget features with 80's icons.
6/10
Old 07-26-2013, 07:22 AM
Immortal horror fan

Detention -

I was surprised by this one. I heard people have mixed feelings on it. I do think the movie isn't truly a horror movie. It's more one of those pop reference movies that without spoiling it has themes from various favorite movies. However, the horror comedy is probably the main element, which is something I'm kind of tired of because it's never done well. It always picks on the stupid/overused elements of horror movies. Yet, I thought the opening of Detention was hilarious. Almost as good as the opening of Scream. I don't think I've ever seen a movie start as quickly as Detention. However, the movie kind of lost me in the middle sections. Perhaps too much humor or other movie references. And the director was overdosing on the clever camera shots at times. But I can see how a younger audience that might not get all the references would love this movie. Same goes for people that do get the references. The lead girl is really good is this. And there is a surprise Canadian character that is awesome.

Tucker & Dale vs Evil -

I really didn't want to watch this one. I don't like the redneck/hillbilly horror theme. But wow this is a funny movie. It's difficult to do a movie about misunderstanding correctly. Especially when all the deaths are straight from slasher movies. The two opening setup scenes are crazy funny. I was hooked then. Perfect horror setup that just about any person would be a bit freaked out about. Also, I've always wanted to see a movie with Katrina Bowden after seeing her Esquire pictures. She's great and hot in this movie. I have to mention the death scenes again because they are all good. The best is probably the wood chipper one. It's so funny and classic that I had to rewind and watch it a bunch of times. What the character is doing before it happens just cracks me up. The movie does have the usual mushy ending expected in this type of movie. But that's like the last 10% and the rest is pretty much perfect. Even the token minority characters are cool in this movie unlike in the Friday the 13th remake. That was one of the surprising things too. They are smart and don't fit the stupid stereotype. This is not to be missed for horror fans.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:15 AM
For Vendetta

Technically, a masterpiece.

Narratively, one of the finest films of our era.

Old time war films was all about fights, wins and losses. Modern war films have taken it a huge step further - the war from the eyes of the common man & the soldier on the ground. One might argue that it's a narrative of how things can go wrong, but I say it's a statement, and a very strong one at that. If the first 5-10 minutes don't make you grimace, then sit through it. I dare you to not flinch even once by the time the end credits roll.

I say it's the second most horrific film made by Ridley Scott after Alien. Watch it to believe me.

* * * * ½
Old 07-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Little Boo

The Purge

Most recent Horror film watched and completely let down. Please tell me others were expecting more from an Ethan Hawke/Leena Heady lead Horror/Thriller.

Went in with high expectations, great theme, terrible execution.

My fav. new Horror of the year - Sinister (But I haven't seen Conjuring yet).
Old 07-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChroniclesoftheDead View Post
Most recent Horror film watched and completely let down. Please tell me others were expecting more from an Ethan Hawke/Leena Heady lead Horror/Thriller.

Went in with high expectations, great theme, terrible execution.

Wasn't really expecting much from them. I've never liked Ethan Hawke and see nothing special about him and i don't like Lena Heady at all. Thought her character was pointless in 300, i hated Sarah Connor Chronicles and she barely does anything anymore on Game of Thrones so yeah they weren't a selling point to me.

Sinister was okay, a lot better then Purge at least. I'd rank The Possession, Gray Skies and Mama over it though for this year.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Little Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChroniclesoftheDead View Post
Sinister was amazing by "american horror" standards. It still has some major flaws, though. The ghost kids form the bulk of those flaws as well as the way the ending was handled. I love what happens in the end but once again, they had to ruin it with all the silly shots of the kids...
Old 07-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Immortal horror fan

The Apparition -

I heard this movie was bad. I decided to watch it anyway for Ashley Greene's appearance. She's a beautiful woman and in this movie she plays the perfect girlfriend. Likes camping? Check. Plays and is good at videogames? Check. Friendly and hot? Check. Likes pets and is compassionate? Check. Yet this is the second bad horror type movie I've seen her in. The first was that Summer's Moon movie. I put up with the first Twilight. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. But maybe she should get better agents or something for her individual projects. People are right about this movie. It does suck and isn't scary at all. In fact anything that's supposed to be scary comes from other far better and classic modern horror movies like The Ring or Grudge. I don't understand how anyone who likes horror movies could come up with something so dull and boring. The director also wrote the movie. They managed to put together a fairly strong cast too for what I believe is his first project. The bad kid from the Harry Potter movies is in this, I didn't recognize him till the end credits. And there is a cameo by the girl with great boobs from the Friday the 13th remake. But the movie is just one of those that you would watch late nights when nothing else is on. There was an attempted twist at the end but that went no where. It's like the responsible characters have no competence in this movie and are down right stupid at times. If you want to watch this movie for Ashley Greene stop a bit after the shower scene because it's all downhill after that.

Tags
movie