Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-25-2014, 02:25 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
I've said this probably countless times on here but Tom Savini's 1990 remake of Night Of The Living Dead is a criminally overlooked remake.

big fan of that one as well ..

I have the press kit signed by Savini - got it shortly after the movie came out - Savini himself wasn't happy about it - thought the patricia tallman character was too 'Ripley' but i dug it.

Really liked the score too
Old 02-25-2014, 04:59 AM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post

I have the press kit signed by Savini - got it shortly after the movie came out - Savini himself wasn't happy about it - thought the patricia tallman character was too 'Ripley' but i dug it.

It's definitely a class act. It's a film that steered me down the path of all things horror when I was younger. I saw it before the original (which in pre-DVD times was near impossible to lay my hands on over here). That's one good thing about remakes is that they mark spark some sort of interest in the original films for those who aren't die hard horror fans.

It's kinda crazy that remakes are a subgenre of their own now!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:27 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

I look at remakes the same way I always have - some are good - some not so good - just like any other film being made.

and yeah they serve a purpose to introduce the originals to younger viewers - the ones that will dig deeper ..

the 'we hate remakes' club is sad and pathetic ...
most horror fans are idiots who apparently would rather see no horror films being made at all ..because they cant grasp the concept that the film business is a business - movies aren't free gifts to them.

If remakes are the movies that are putting asses in the seats - as they continue to do - then that's what the studios can afford to make.

I have no idea why this is so hard to understand.

the only remake I've ever refused to see is Alfie.

see - ultimately it's a choice. I am perfectly able to choose not to see it. I don't wish death on the guy who remade it or automatically assume it's shit - I just have no need to see it.

and somehow - life continues!!
Old 02-26-2014, 04:55 AM
tear your soul appart

Best - The Thing. (only because it's one of my favourite films)

Worst - A nightmare on elm street. How can anyone even try and top Robert England. That would be like trying to out do Tim Curry in It or Legend. It can't be done.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:33 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post

Savini wasn't happy about what? The way his film in general turned out? That's interesting.

I should say, I saw the original first, and really appreciated it. Maybe I should keep this to myself, but I didn't like the remake. It's not that I thought it was the worst movie I ever saw. I watched the whole film. I just didn't think it was very good -- but I surely couldn't help comparing it to the original. In that comparison, I thought it was inferior.

I do like some remakes. For one, I thought The Ring 2002 was excellent.

I understand films are made to make money. In my experience, only about 1/10 true remakes (as opposed to re-interpretations) are entertaining to me. I really don't get making a shot-by-shot remake, unless the original has been lost, can't be released, or has no good quality copies remaining. The choice between a new original film like Nightmare on Elm Street being made, or a near shot-by-shot remake of Night of the Living Dead being made... I admit, I don't get why anyone would choose to see the later over the former. Of course seeing both is an option; just not likely the way I'd want spend my leisure time.

Last edited by Sculpt; 02-26-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:54 AM
Undead

Worst
Wicker Man
Likely Suspiria when it is released. My hope for this one is as thin as Hitchcocks hair
Friday the 13th. Bring in the other Winchester and exorcise it from memory.

Best
I'd have to agree with Savini's Night of the Living Dead
Evil Dead - only because they didn't try to re make another Ash. Although not a remake, Wither is as much a remake as ED is of the original. More inspired by, than actual remakes in my opinion. Wither did have a male lead with black hair and blue button down. Just saying.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Evil Dead

One of the all time worst remakes must be The Vanashing. Holy mother of god that was bad. Another one was the American version of Insomnia. Talk about missing the point. So bad. The Wicker Man remake looks horrendous. Any remake will be hard-pressed to top the Day of the Dead remake for sheer awfulness. At least the Day of the Dead remake had a campy factor where it was a 'fun' type of bad movie.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Undead

Shady
I forgot about the Vanishing and Insomnia. Pass the air freshener. You are so right. Can we throw in Nightwatch? I don't mean the fantastic Russian film Night Watch or it's sequel Day Watch.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:21 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
One of the all time worst remakes must be The Vanashing. Holy mother of god that was bad. Another one was the American version of Insomnia. Talk about missing the point. So bad. The Wicker Man remake looks horrendous. Any remake will be hard-pressed to top the Day of the Dead remake for sheer awfulness. At least the Day of the Dead remake had a campy factor where it was a 'fun' type of bad movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe E Ville View Post
Shady
I forgot about the Vanishing and Insomnia. Pass the air freshener. You are so right. Can we throw in Nightwatch? I don't mean the fantastic Russian film Night Watch or it's sequel Day Watch.
I haven't seen the original Insomnia, but I thought the American version was good. This was directed by Christopher Nolan (Memento, Dark Knight, The Prestige, Inception). I thought Al Pacino and Hillary Swank did a find job. It was well received by critics and audiences (Rottentomatoes critics 92% audience 76%). I heard the original was stellar, but I think the remake was at least decent.

I saw the original Vanishing (Spoorloos) recently. It's highly acclaimed. I thought it was well made. It didn't knock me off my feet. I doubt I'll see the American remake.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Evil Dead

Best Remakes:
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers: 1978 version

Worst Remakes:
Wicker Man: 2006