Old 06-12-2010, 12:07 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
Infestation (2009). After the rather cool opening credits rolled by, the first couple of lines of dialog seemed sorta clunky, giving me that "bummer this is gunna suck" feeling. Instead, that dialog turned out to be a wonderfully awkward and wry sense of humor that was kept up throughout. Haters of horror sci-fi comedies stay away, as this is a fun and central character driven comedy first, horror and sci-fi a close second. The story itself does not get all caught up trying to explain to the viewer exactly what is happening, and we are left in the same discombobulated place as our unlikely heroes. Loved the end, BTW. The acting was first rate for this genre; that poor blonde is not acting poorly, but instead her awkward responses only serve to make her almost psycho creepy. The direction is solid, and the relative newcomer Kyle Rankin does much with this low budget that was incidentally was shot in Bulgaria. The effects were pretty effective, sans that over-the-top CGI feeling. Overall this fun sci-fi proved to be a mighty entertainer. Mercie beaucoup.
d
Glad you enjoyed it, too - I thought this was a blast! Just bought it cheap, too.

Carriers

I went into this moving thinking that it would be a zombie movie, but instead it was a disease/infection movie, which isn't necessarily such a bad thing... This isn't a monster movie; when people get sick, they die. That's it. The film focused more on the survivors of the plague as opposed to the plague-infested monsters that one gets from your typical zombie film. It's actually one of my favorite parts of zombie films - how the survivors are just as monstrous as their zombie counterparts (example: My favorite part of 28 Days Later are the commandos that we meet at the end of the film.

In Carriers we see a desperate dad trying to keep his daughter alive (played artfully by Christopher Meloni, or who I like to refer to as Elliot), bleak doctors trying to find a cure, and other survivors who really add color to this post-apocalyptic wasteland.

The biggest problem with the film is that it's the survivors that we run into (mentioned above), but not our four main characters who lead us throughout the film that keep me interested. I was just not interested in them. Sure, you have a Chris Pine who does a decent job of being the martyr survivor who has to "keep it together" and the cute and charming Piper Perabo (who, with no bar-dancing, unfortunately keeps her clothes on), but they're more stereotypes than anything else and the movies unravels more like a boring drama than an interesting infection-survivalist tale. I REALLY wanted to see more shreds of a post-apocalyptic society then the drama of 20-somethings dealing with their relationships...

I have a hard time giving this both a GREAT or a POOR review. I think that people will enjoy it but I, for one, found it kinda sorta boring and lacking.

3/5.

I Sell the Dead

Wow. Really disappointed with this one. It had gotten a decent review from Rue Morgue Magazine and Netflix Users give it a 3/5, so I thought that this might be a fun horror comedy... I like Dominic Monaghan (my little hobbit), and I was psyched to see Ron Perlman in there, too, but there's something about this movie that, quite frankly, just felt forced. I'm not sure if there was a level of subtlety that they were going for that I missed or if this was just a poorly written, acted, and directed film. Rom Perlman didn't belong at all and the movie just seemed really distracted and wanting for some kind of direction... It felt disorganized and ultimately not really funny... Or scary.

Really pretty bleah. I didn't even make it through.

2/5.

Triangle

Wow.

First, thanks for the recommendation, V and others who watched this movie. This is a perfect little indie horror movie; it's everything that movies like 1408 and Identity could and SHOULD have been. A great little mind-bender with awesome writing, flawless direction, and amazing acting, especially from Melissa George, our heroine.

What I really liked about this movie is that I initially thought that this was going to be one of those faux-intellectual horror films that are ultimately disappointing and predictable... HOWEVER, even when I THOUGHT I knew what was going on (thanks to too-revealing marketing), this movie still surprised and shocked me. I don't really want to say too much, but suffice to say there were a few moments that actually made my jaw drop. GREAT movie. HIGHLY recommended.

4/5.

Edit: Sorry these pics are so big - I edited them in Photobucket and in my account they're showing as 250 X 371 pixels - Not sure why they're HUGE here.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 06-12-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
Library movie renting night ended in slight disappointment.

We rented a double feature dvd with Pi and Requiem for a Dream. Pi I had already seen and really enjoyed but requiem was so bad. I know we hate this word around here, but, overated, overated, overated. Ugh. Would this movie have been better if I were under the influence of drugs? Because every person who recommended it for me were stoners, but still people whose opinion on movies I trusted. Why on earth did so many people like this stupid stupid movie. The only good thing that came from it was my bf going to his doctor to make sure his narcolepsy pills weren't uppers.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Misanthrope

I was wondering what Carriers was like. I think I've got it on the way to me in the post to review.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:49 AM
Bad Natured

Battle for Haditha (2007). It is too bad that an honest effort to evenly portray war flicks inevitably elicit anti-this and that polemics. No matter, as this film is strong enough to take it. Told from three perspectives, all of the players here come off as real, with the real villains safely ensconced from the horrors of war and the victims being the civilians and humble soldiers of both sides. The acting itself was pretty great, considering that many were real vets of the war. The story itself was nicely paced and was able to fairly evince each perspective such that the viewer could make up his own mind as to how to judge the varying sides. The direction and camera work were solid, with an appropriate documentary feel to it that keeps the viewer in the story. Overall a great effort that leaves room for personal contemplation. Ashe.
derek

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:29 AM
Undead

Freeze - Nightwatch
Old 06-13-2010, 05:39 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Yesterday I have find a copy of LA HORDE in a local dvd store where they most probably downloaded it from online & thus it comes with NO English Subtitles! So, will it be okay to give it a watch without understanding a single line?
Nope. You need to understand the first part to enjoy the whole film. See if you can download some subs, Rosh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Carriers

I think that people will enjoy it but I, for one, found it kinda sorta boring and lacking.
I know I will end up watching this, even though I have been trying to avoid it as much as possible since it's release. Not at all interested in it right now though.

Glad you liked Triangle as much as I did, Chrono. A nice little gem which more people need to see and appreciate.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:15 AM
Midnight Toker

Send a message via MSN to iSeymore
Aliens Vs. Predator: Requiem. ('07) - I actually liked this movie,it was the newest movie that came in the "Alien - Predator" boxed set I picked up yesterday. The set came with Alien, Aliens, Alien3, Alien: Resurrection, Predator,Predator 2, Alien Vs. Predator, and, Aliens Vs.Predator: Requiem. All eight movies for only $40, not bad. I am excited for Robert Rodriguez's "Predators" to come out July 9th! :P
Old 06-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Midnight toker

Survival of the Dead: Crap. I wanted to find something I liked about it, but I really couldn't. Land was stupid but fun, Diary was annoying but had its moments, Survival has nothing going for it.

The Wolfman (2010): Nothing really wrong with this one, just not very engaging. I don't know whether the plot was too confusing or that I just couldn't be bothered to keep up with what was going on, but either way it didn't really grab me. Atmosphere and creepy horror took a back seat to action/ chase scenes or half hearted attempts at establishing a believeable romance. Thought Hugo Weaving was excellent, but nothing else about the film or cast really stood out.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Atrocity Exhibition

Paths of Glory (1957)

In my opinion, the greatest war film ever made. Beautifully filmed, and directed. Kirk Douglas' performance was nothing short of perfect. All of the actors put up fantastic performances, most notably the three prisoners sentenced to death. A scathing attack on the military.

-10/10.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:56 AM
Bad Natured

The Legend of Hell House (1973). This really deserves to be in the classics forum, but it is a few short years from an official invitation. This is one of the best haunted house flicks bar none. Dark, creepy, haunting, and all without the need for much of a special effects budget. The acting was top notch on all accounts. The direction was superb, but those camera angles and close-up shots really helped to capture the mood of this wonderfully disturbing classic. As well, the score was befitting as it was original. An incredible movie experience back then as it was today. Mercie beaucoup.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.