Old 02-22-2018, 01:38 AM
Evil Dead

A STRANGER IS WATCHING-1982. Tried to get into this, but just couldn't. Reminded me a lot of a LAW AND ORDER:SVU. **
Old 02-23-2018, 06:42 AM
Evil Dead

DEATHLINE (1972) also known as RAW MEAT. Pretty good little film by the same director who did 1981's DEAD AND BURIED. Some nasty scenes, a quite funny turn by Donald Pleasence and the scene with he and Christopher Lee is just great. ***
Old 02-24-2018, 06:45 PM
This is a test

DARKROOM 1989

Someone has been photographing people and killing them.

Meh.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:34 PM
Evil Dead

Damien: Omen II Not on par with the original, but a pretty good flick with some scary moments (like the lady with the eyes picked out) and a good twist. A bit silly at times (Damien revealing himself to Mark), but all in all pretty good.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:07 AM
Evil Dead

SOYLENT GREEN (1973). Time and Pop culture references have somewhat diluted this, but still not a bad watch. The "Going Home" scene with Heston and Edward G Robinson is very well acted and quite moving. Read MAKE ROOM! MAKE ROOM! by Harry Harrison. ***
Old 03-02-2018, 05:35 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
SOYLENT GREEN (1973). Time and Pop culture references have somewhat diluted this, but still not a bad watch. The "Going Home" scene with Heston and Edward G Robinson is very well acted and quite moving. Read MAKE ROOM! MAKE ROOM! by Harry Harrison. ***
Never seen it. Once I knew the ending, it's been hard to bother seeing it. I saw the demise scene of Robinson on youtube, very well done. I like film noir and sci-fi, so I'd probably like it. But that whole overcrowded NY thing is really a drag to see.

Murder on the Orient Express (1974)
7/10

Not really a horror film, but has a murder.

Various folks are traveling on the Orient Express, traveling through Eastern Europe when there is a murder on the train! The train is delayed on the tracks by a snow slide, and a famous detective Hercule Poirot (Albert Finney) is tasked to solve the murder before the unpleasantness of foreign police arrive.

I was expecting a lot of over-the-top goofy performances by the all-star cast of Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, Sean Connery, John Gielgud, Vanessa Redgrave, Michael York, Jacqueline Bisset, Anthony Perkins and Wendy Hiller, but that was not the case. There is a slight tongue-in-cheek nature to the film, but the characters play it straight, though they might be slightly caricature.

First there's a visual montage of a famous kidnapping murder, modeled after the famous Lindbergh Kidnapping. Then there's a slow introduction of the travelers, the murder, and then most of the film involves the interviewing of everyone on the train. Hints of how it relates to the murder slowing evolves. This processes isn't entirely enjoyable nor riveting, though Lauren Bacall (Harriet Belinda Hubbard) provides some snarky lines.

One notable scene is a one-take one-shot interview of 59-year-old Ingrid Bergman, playing the missionary Greta Ohlsson, the character she insisted on playing. It is a captivating scene, within the context of the film, where we do notice it's length, a scene that won Bergman a Best Supporting Actress Oscar award.

All-in-all, I don't know that it's satisfying as a mystery, as the exposition is a bit rigid, and almost impossible to anticipate (the exposition, that is). There are no character interactions that precipitates the murder. And so the unfolding of the cards are rather matter of fact and historical, leaving the emotion more a matter of record.

Last edited by Sculpt; 03-05-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:03 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Never seen it. Once I knew the ending, it's been hard to bother seeing it. I saw the demise scene of Robinson on youtube, very well done. I like film noir and sci-fi, so I'd probably like it. But that whole overcrowded NY thing is really a drag to see.

Murder on the Orient Express (1974)
7/10

Not really a horror film, but has a murder.

Various folks are traveling on the Orient Express, traveling through Eastern Europe when there is a murder on the train! The train is delayed on the tracks by a snow slide, and a famous detective Hercule Poirot (Albert Finney) is tasked to solve the murder before the unpleasantness of foreign police arrive.

I was expecting a lot of over-the-top goofy performances by the all-star cast of Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, Sean Connery, John Gielgud, Vanessa Redgrave, Michael York, Jacqueline Bisset, Anthony Perkins and Wendy Hiller, but that was not the case. There is a slight tongue-in-cheek nature to the film, but the characters play it straight, though they might be slightly caricature.

First there's a visual montage of a famous kidnapping murder, modeled after the famous Lindbergh Kidnapping. Then there's a slow introduction of the travelers, the murder, and then most of the film involves the interviewing of everyone on the train. Hints of how it relates to the murder slowing evolves. This entire processes isn't entirely enjoyable nor riveting, though Lauren Bacall (Harriet Belinda Hubbard) provides some snarky lines.

One notable scene is a one-take one-shot interview of 59-year-old Ingrid Bergman, playing the missionary Greta Ohlsson, the character she insisted on playing. It is a captivating scene, within the context of the film, where we do notice it's length, a scene that won Bergman a Best Supporting Actress Oscar award.

All-in-all, I don't know that it's satisfying as a mystery, as the exposition is a bit rigid, and almost impossible to anticipate (the exposition, that is). There are no character interactions that precipitates the murder. And so the unfolding of the cards are rather matter of fact and historical, leaving the emotion more a matter of record.
I liked MOTOE myself, but if You've not seen it, DEATH ON THE NILE (1978) is very good, probably the best Agatha Christie.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:16 PM
病気の

Twisted Nightmare, 1987. 6/10

Old 03-06-2018, 12:24 AM
Evil Dead

DRIVE IN CLASSICS VOL 1. A bunch of flicks from Crown Studios that make AIP look like 20th century Fox. While there are some good points in them (Decent photography, Music-including production from Michael Lloyd who had a lot of chart success and lots of pretty naked females; in particular, the two Female leads in SISTER-IN-LAW are staggeringly lovely), most are sunk by horrid scripts that go for the lowest common denominator with the vast majority of the guys are total jerks, particularly in DONNA AND CINDY which almost reaches XXX standards-was almost expecting Jaime Gillis to show up! Is neat seeing actors early in their careers who went on to better things.
PICK UP (1975) **
BEST FRIENDS (1975) Richard Hatch (STREETS OF San Francisco, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA) and Suzanne Breton (A BOY AND HIS DOG). **1/2
THE TEACHER (1974). Angel Tompkins and Jay North (DENNIS THE MEANACE). **1/2
MALIBU HIGH (1979) **1/2
TRIP WITH THE TEACHER (1975) Zalman King **
THE STEPMOTHER (1972). Alejandro Rey, Claudia Jennings (1969 PLAYBOY PLAYMATE OF THE YEAR and many B movies) and Larry Linville (MASH) **
THE SISTER-IN-LAW (1975) John Savage (THE DEER HUNTER and DO THE RIGHT THING) who also sings! **1/2
DONNA AND CINDY (1970). *
Old 03-06-2018, 05:20 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
I liked MOTOE myself, but if You've not seen it, DEATH ON THE NILE (1978) is very good, probably the best Agatha Christie.
I might check that out (DEATH ON THE NILE (1978)). I watched a preview on youtube, and I don't think I saw it before. Although, it looked a little British-stuffy... as in overly prim and sedate; where I don't have the patience to watch too much of wives and husbands miffle about the breakfast arrangements, unless it's vital to solving the murder.

I like murder mysteries in general, but I prefer when we're given clues throughout the film, and not given a dumptruck of exposition at the end that couldn't have been gleamed during the film. I think Deathtrap(1982) was one of the better ones I've seen.

Last edited by Sculpt; 03-06-2018 at 05:23 PM.