Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-21-2016, 02:01 PM
Little Boo

Poll: What is your opinion on Found Footage style films?

Poll: http://www.strawpoll.me/11274299
Old 09-21-2016, 02:32 PM
Horror Fan

Still can't believe the latest found footage, the one that started them all, the Blair Witch sequel, bombed. Can't explain it.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:20 PM
Immortal horror fan

Well they did try to sell it as something else in the beginning. I don't know if it was going to be Blair Witch from the beginning. But the first trailer when it was called something else didn't really excite me.

My opinion on found footage is that I only like a few of them. I haven't seen that really popular one yet with the ghosts in the house. But my favorite was the tv show with the group that goes down a river in South America. At least when people talk about found footage, that's the one I remember the most. I can't even recall my favorite found footage movie right now.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:40 PM
Horror Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Well they did try to sell it as something else in the beginning. I don't know if it was going to be Blair Witch from the beginning. But the first trailer when it was called something else didn't really excite me.

My opinion on found footage is that I only like a few of them. I haven't seen that really popular one yet with the ghosts in the house. But my favorite was the tv show with the group that goes down a river in South America. At least when people talk about found footage, that's the one I remember the most. I can't even recall my favorite found footage movie right now.
Yes I think it worked for awhile but has outlived its novelty, like 3D. For me, the whole appeal is it makes you feel like you are a participant in the horror, with the first-person perspective. I think found footage has drifted away from that now.

And Blair Witch franchise will never recover. Very sad the studios have killed two franchises, Ghostbusters and Blair Witch, in a matter of months.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:44 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
Still can't believe the latest found footage, the one that started them all, the Blair Witch sequel, bombed. Can't explain it.
It did not bomb. A bomb would imply that it lost a lot of money. Blair Witch has already tripled its production budget. It's easy to see why it underperformed. Mixed reviews turned people off, Don't Breathe has had an incredible box office run so far, an oversaturation of horror movies this summer, found footage isn't as popular as it used to be, no recognizable faces to the general public, and the fact that the Blair Witch series isn't very popular.

Last edited by horcrux2007; 09-21-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:23 PM
Pirate of Bengal

The format isn't the issue here; like any other medium of film making or sub-genre of films/stories, it all depends on how original the story is & (or even if it's not so) the way they are executing or revealing it to the audience by keeping the interest or excitement for the story & characters till the end.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:59 AM
Horror Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
It did not bomb. A bomb would imply that it lost a lot of money. Blair Witch has already tripled its production budget. It's easy to see why it underperformed. Mixed reviews turned people off, Don't Breathe has had an incredible box office run so far, an oversaturation of horror movies this summer, found footage isn't as popular as it used to be, no recognizable faces to the general public, and the fact that the Blair Witch series isn't very popular.
Well, the production budget was only 5 mil. Not a high bar to clear! And yes, I mean bomb in terms of critical and fan reception, too. 30% freshness rating and all that. But call it "flopped" if you wish...

People will go see good horror movies but, back to the thread topic, I think found footage has breathed its last breath....for now.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:21 AM
Fear the Goathammer

Found Footage is not bad itself I think, it all depends of the ideas and the execution. I really liked some of them, like Blair Witch Project, [REC] and Cannibal Holocaust. But then again these sold the idea of a found footage very good. Then again, seeing the 100th version of some people seeing ghosts or whatsoever and wearing a camera just for fun on their head, it's so dreadful and boring. I mean, I saw some found footages that didn't have bad ideas regarding the story, it was just not meant to be found footage. I am happy that we are moving away from this trend and that horror movies are real horror movies again, cause I don't have anything against the whole thing, now and then they can release this kind of movie, but if its all the time only found footage when a new movie releases, it's just not what I wish for the future of the horror genre to be.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:12 AM
No Tears Please...

I liked the new Blair Witch, and I can enjoy some found footage. I really wanted to like Unfriended but I really didn't. Same with Creep, I really wanted to like it. But I think in general, the difficulty is with the wrap up. For some reason Found footage almost never leaves you the right way. The original Blair Witch did it right, I love walking out of a theater confused and wishing I knew the rest of the story. Too often does a movie (unfriended) throw a ghost or a demon at you right at the end as a way to wrap up the movie without giving you a real, solid, well thought out ending. Honestly what I really want is a return to the days of the slasher and the cult movie. I watched House of the Devil for the third or fourth time this last weekend. That is an excellent film. If you haven't seen it, catch it on Netflix, it has the perfect nostalgic feel.

The People (short story) ---- http://www.inkitt.com/stories/10686

Trapped (Short Story) ---- https://www.inkitt.com/stories/horror/624905

The End : A Short Glimpse (Flash Fiction) --- https://www.inkitt.com/stories/horror/624912

Fear Awakens (novel) ----- Recently Restarted
Old 09-22-2016, 05:14 AM
Horror Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake.Ashworth View Post
I liked the new Blair Witch, and I can enjoy some found footage. I really wanted to like Unfriended but I really didn't. Same with Creep, I really wanted to like it. But I think in general, the difficulty is with the wrap up. For some reason Found footage almost never leaves you the right way. The original Blair Witch did it right, I love walking out of a theater confused and wishing I knew the rest of the story. Too often does a movie (unfriended) throw a ghost or a demon at you right at the end as a way to wrap up the movie without giving you a real, solid, well thought out ending. Honestly what I really want is a return to the days of the slasher and the cult movie. I watched House of the Devil for the third or fourth time this last weekend. That is an excellent film. If you haven't seen it, catch it on Netflix, it has the perfect nostalgic feel.
I found Unfriended to be pretty good, not revolutionizing horror by any means, but pretty good; do you think it truly counts as a found footage however?