Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Little Boo

Check out my new book, "The Occult Files of Albert Taylor"

Hi everyone,

check out my new book "The Occult Files of Albert Taylor", a collection of horror/sci-fi stories. It's available now:

https://www.createspace.com/Customer/EStore.do?id=3403389
Old 01-31-2010, 09:03 PM
Scares Little Kids

Very Cool.
how do you like createspace?
Old 02-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
FYI, Createspace used to be Booksurge. One publisher I work with worked through Booksurge and it absolutely blew. The books aren't returnable unless you pay a fee, and if books aren't returnable, say goodbye to bookstore shelves. Fight it out with the small presses, get to know publishers. Don't let Createspace and Lulu take your hardearned money. It's hard enough for small and micropress work, but when you add selfpublishing to the equation, you present a very difficult proposition for yourselves. People already assume micropress work is always self published and might refuse to review it or put you up on their site, so actual self publishing is as good a way to get exposure and generate profit as handing random people in a subway station dollar bills to go buy you lottery tickets.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Scares Little Kids

Good to know. I was starting to get that feeling about lulu. Most of my sales have been to local comic and book shops that I personally went to with my product. My online sales through lulu have been half that if even. I am hoping they will pick up after they post on Amazon and Barns and Noble.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Yeah. You might have a hard time with some chain stores unless you develop a good relationship with the manager, which is tough for out of town stores, so the nonreturnability kind of limits you to areas where you can actually show your face. Your brand of horror isn't really the kind of stuff you can't get published anywhere, so self publishing as a venture for anything beyond an attempt at generating a calling card (which doesn't always work anyway) is a risky proposition. Try Leisure or some of the markets on Ralan's list, which I'm assuming you're familiar with.