Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-12-2009, 06:54 PM
For Vendetta

The Ruins.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:56 PM
mostly ghostly?

Låt den rätte komma in (Let the Right One In) (2008)

This is not a horror movie. It is not a vampire movie. At least, neither of those are the defining words I'd use to describe the essence of the film. It's about the mess of adolescence. It's an against-the-odds love story. It's about surviving in this world, doing what must be done. All classic, timeless templates, only in this instance told against a unique backdrop. See, then maybe it's a vampire film, or a horror film.
It is slow, sad, dark, and cold, punctuated by both harshness and happiness, the dynamics of a haunting melody. It is blurry and distant, until Eli and Oskar, the two main characters, come together. Their interactions are close and intimate.
The performances of the two main kids are remarkable, fully consumed by not only their roles, but by the world created in the film. Especially Lina Leandersson, who plays Eli (the vampire), truly looks far older than her years.
The Dalai Lama once talked about every person being the center of his or her respective universe, and we get that in Oskar and Eli's world. From their prospective, together they create one universe, trying to omit the extraneous, not caring to question each other beyond traditional childish things. And that's really what it comes down to with this film.
Any complaints I may have had were rendered negligible by the end. I mean that in two ways: by the end of the film, I no longer cared about those parts; and by the way the film ended, I no longer cared about those parts. (Possible SPOILER) The finale is truly the most virtuosic part about the film, we finally get to see Oskar and Eli trim all the excess from their universe.

All in all, it's a truly wonderful film; one of the very best of 2008.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:26 AM
Banned

The Baby's Room.....[neverending take note]. Its on the Fearnet channel ands its pretty damn good. Its part of a series like Eight Films to Die For, only in Spanish. Reading is required.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:33 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
T Reading is required.

Show off..
Old 03-13-2009, 04:05 AM
For Vendetta

Secretary.

A near-perfect blend of raw, unflinching S&M moments with soft, emotional sensitivity, which underline the lives of the two principal protagonists. Maggie Gyllenhaal & James Spader deliver top-notch performances, and the black humor of the flick takes centrestage, with a very strong script and excellent direction. Recommended. * * * *

Last edited by _____V_____; 03-13-2009 at 04:07 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:31 AM
Foxhole Atheist

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth

Considering how good the first two are this is a big disappointment. The downward spiral starts here.

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 03-13-2009, 08:28 AM
For Vendetta

The Gift.

Some pretty solid performances, notably from Blanchett & Ribisi, make this mystery thriller from Raimi a pretty enjoyable watch. * * *
Old 03-13-2009, 11:34 AM
For Vendetta

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Wife wanted to see it. * * * ½
Old 03-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouse mac View Post
Fortunately it comes as standard with my Sky package. You're right about the quality of the films shown though, for the most part they are a waste of time.
you have seen nothing till you have seen NigeriaMovies :eek:
Old 03-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Foxhole Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwoti View Post
you have seen nothing till you have seen NigeriaMovies :eek:
Dont forget Nollywood, the best Ive ever managed was nearly ten minutes out sheer, morbid curiousity!

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac