Old 08-05-2013, 04:18 AM
HDC's old chick

Neverending will be happy to read this one: Repulsion

Thoroughly enjoyed it, Catherine Deneuve (sp?) was excellent. I agree with NE, you all need to see this film.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Sometimes dead is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfan View Post
Neverending will be happy to read this one: Repulsion

Thoroughly enjoyed it, Catherine Deneuve (sp?) was excellent. I agree with NE, you all need to see this film.
I just bought the Criterion Collection version of this film from Amazon yesterday, so, hopefully, I will see it soon.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Horror Fan

Thumbs up

City of the Dead AKA Horror Hotel (1960)

This movie is quite good. Very risque material for the time it was produced. A woman revisits the scene of the New England witch trials...bad things happen.This needs to be on Phantom Stranger's "to see" list.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:20 AM
HDC's old chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
City of the Dead AKA Horror Hotel (1960)

This movie is quite good. Very risque material for the time it was produced. A woman revisits the scene of the New England witch trials...bad things happen.This needs to be on Phantom Stranger's "to see" list.
One of my favorite Christopher Lee movies!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Evil is Better

Night of The Hunter

I remember reading on here a conversation about whether or not this is horror. After watching it i have to say that it is. It's not terrifying or scary in a give you nightmares sort of way. But the way Rev. Harry Powell (Played masterfully by Robert Mitchum) stalks and terrorizes those children will make you fear for them and feel their fear. His character is not only a children's boogeyman but also a regular everyday horrible human being capable of despicable acts even on children while hiding behind a nice suit, well manner of speaking and a charming, friendly attitude. Every scene he is in, even the ones where he is pretending to be the loving father and husband are filled with such terror that you can only worry for everyone involved. Everytime he sang Leaning on The Everlasting Arms, i got goosebumps.

The final part of the movie is a great example of good vs. evil and when John breaks down finally you can see how everything from his father's arrest, death and the fact that he got them in that situation to his mother's not believing them and the whole ordeal really traumatized him which makes everything that happened in the movie all the more scary and real.

Strongly recommended for anyone who has yet to see this.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Repulsion- 9/10

I thought that this was an excellent film. Catherine Denevue delievered a brilliant performance. Also, there was a very artistic element to the film. On that note, the film is very strange. It was basically filmed from the viewpoint of someone who is basically crazy. Thus, the film feels very confusing and disjointed, but that is the point and it is quite brilliant. Anyway, an all-around great film.

Note: I have never seen this one before.

Last edited by metternich1815; 08-12-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:14 PM
Cranky

A true masterpiece!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 08-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Little Boo

Vampyr

The last horror film I even saw was Vampyr from 1932 which seemed to inspire Suspiria to a certain extent.
Although it was practically a silent film and seemed to drag a bit I actually quite enjoyed it and found it to be a very good film for it's time. :)
Old 08-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Little Boo

I recently did a Herschell Gordon Lewis double feature & re-watched Blood Feast & 2000 Maniacs. I love his films. They're just pure fun.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:59 AM
Hellraiser

I watched 20 million miles to earth for the first time last night.
Cant believe this movie escaped me for so long!
Loved every minute of it and felt so bad for the poor Ymir, man he got a raw deal.
All he wanted to do was eat some sulphur;)
I actually thought the stop motion in this was some of Harryhausen's best work too