Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
Most influential director

Who is the most influential horror director of all time? Someone who consistently works in the genre?
Old 10-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Living Dead

Send a message via ICQ to Krzychu
I think...

most influental director has ever exist is Alfred Hitchcock.He is favourite on my roll of honour. Apart him I will suggested following director: John Carpenter (70's and 80's) Clive Barker (Immortal !!).
Old 10-07-2003, 03:07 PM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
I knew someone was going to say Hitchcock so I should have been more specific when I said "someone who consistently works in the genre." Hitch is great, but he's only made two horror films. Carpenter and Barker are good answers though. I wish Barker would direct another film.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:05 AM
Hellraiser

Wes Craven. Like his recent work or not, he made a lot of really influential horror movies.

Last House on the Left, The Hills Have Eyes, and Nightmare on Elm Street are all genre classics.

Tobe Hooper is another, he has done many great films but most people only recognize Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:32 AM
Living Dead

Send a message via ICQ to SCREAMERatorX Send a message via AIM to SCREAMERatorX Send a message via Yahoo to SCREAMERatorX
Stan Winston,, the way he brings characters(creatures) ALIVE!

Wes and David Cronenberg, also major influential.

Tarantino has, no doubt, been the biggest mediaProduction influence 4 me, personally.
followed by Rodriguez.......
3 guesses 4 naming (one of my) favorite films.??... not hard 2pick..
The directorial combination of these 2men, is pure creative guiniess.....clooney played a nice part aswell.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:12 PM
Cryptkeeper

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean1605
Wes Craven. Like his recent work or not, he made a lot of really influential horror movies.

Last House on the Left, The Hills Have Eyes, and Nightmare on Elm Street are all genre classics.

Tobe Hooper is another, he has done many great films but most people only recognize Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
I am going to have to agree with you on Craven. Like him or not, he's a damn genius.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:00 AM
Evil Dead

Maybe not as influential as he was ground-breaking, I think Herschell Gordon Lewis 'the godfather of gore' deserves some mention. From what I understand he made the first totally bloody and gory films and some other interesting exploitation flicks. My personal fave by him is 'she devils on wheels'. (my band even covered the theme song!)

Here's a link with info on him:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/halloween2001/hgl/
Old 11-03-2003, 11:01 AM
Cryptkeeper

Quote:
Originally posted by abbycomix
Maybe not as influential as he was ground-breaking, I think Herschell Gordon Lewis 'the godfather of gore' deserves some mention. From what I understand he made the first totally bloody and gory films and some other interesting exploitation flicks. My personal fave by him is 'she devils on wheels'. (my band even covered the theme song!)

Here's a link with info on him:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/halloween2001/hgl/
HGL just made his big comeback didn't he? Like his first film in 30 years?
Old 11-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Evil Dead

Looks like Blood feast 2 is his latest project but I don't think it's been officially released yet, but I could be wrong. I also found his official web site:
http://www.herschellgordonlewis.com
Old 11-04-2003, 09:57 AM
Chillbaca

I agree with Carpenter. He has a lot of misses, but it's always pretty interesting and he's got three or four absolute classics. Halloween is still pretty untouchable as "the" slasher film.

Can anybody out there give me a list of newer directors of horror to watch? I'm interested in guys who are doing stuff that I may have missed but that definitely have a style.

An example of what I'm talking about is I heard that film "Wendigo" was good, but I don't know anything about it. Who did that? Are there any other favorites of up and comer horror directors, or forgotten great directors that are still working?