Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Compilations and Pastimes

Old 09-02-2013, 08:23 AM
For Vendetta

Dead Alive (aka) Braindead (1992)
Wikipedia Link

Candyman (1992)
Wikipedia Link

Army of Darkness (1992)
Wikipedia Link

Dracula (aka) Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
One of the most brilliant adaptations of Dracula and actually followed relatively closely to the book (with the major exception of the romance being added). It included some terrific performances by Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins and some really good special effects. - metternich1815

Cronos (1993)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
Its such a quality horror flick and great take on the vampire genre. Del Toro is a quality writer and director and this is not only his first feature length movie, but easily amongst his best work. The story is beautiful and the characters are believable. Its one of the most creative and original vampire movies ever made. For anyone who hasn't watched it, you really have to see it, great piece of cinema. - Straker

New Nightmare (aka) Wes Craven's New Nightmare (1994)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
This film is one of the few, if not only, slasher movies that can actually scare me. Additionally, I thought the idea was very unique, especially how the people involved in the movie all played themselves. Additionally, the atmosphere and acting was really top-notch. Definitely an underrated film that is actually quite brilliant. - metternich1815

Last edited by _____V_____; 09-10-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:44 AM
For Vendetta

In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
One of the most underrated John Carpenter films. The film is about an individual whose horror books are causing people to commit violent actions, which may ultimately leading to the end of the world. This film was very effective at blurring the lines between real and non-real. Also a pretty excellent performance by Sam Neill. - metternich1815

Seven (aka) Se7en (1995)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
Here's my definition of a horror movie:

A movie qualifies as horror if
a) a significant focus is given to characters in a situation where a deadly or harmful force -- be it a metaphysical force, such as a ghost or demon, a physical enemy, such as one or more creatures or humans, or the characters' own psychological state -- is threatening to harm or scare them, AND
b) that the intent of film is to scare, shock, disturb, disgust, or cause discomfort to the viewer.

By my definition, a movie like Se7en does not qualify as horror. That movie satisfies part b) (disturb or disgust the viewer), but not a). No scene in the movie puts the characters in a situation where they fear for their well being. There is one chase scene, but that's really an action scene, and the main characters are the ones doing the chasing. The murder scene set-pieces are certainly disturbing, but at no point are the cops entering the scene at risk. The characters don't know that they are victims of the antagonist until the final reveal, and neither does the viewer.

BUT, I did rank Se7en in my 90s list because I consider the purpose of this project to not just rank horror movies, but point out the important points in the history of horror. Although I don't consider Se7en a horror movie, it made a significant contribution to the genre, being a huge influence with it's crisp, cold, stylized production, high level of gore, and aggressive industrial rock musical score. James Wan owes a lot to Fincher for the style of his Saw series. Its influence can be found all over the place, even in TV with the Hannibal series. - Giganticface

Scream (1996)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
It was one of the most brilliant and witty horror movies up to that time. Additionally, it helped to revive horror movies. I also thought it was a great psychological thriller. - metternich1815

Cube (1997)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
Cube is an intriguing psychological thriller. This film shares a number of similarities with a later film known as Saw. Both films include a group of people trapped somewhere that must try to survive a series of traps, in order to survive. Despite being similar and having similar set ups, this film more effectively explores humanity. It is interesting to see how the characters slowly descend into paranoia and even sacrifice their morals in order to survive (this is especially true of the supposed hero). Definitely one of the greatest films of the period. - metternich1815

Wishmaster (1997)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
This is an interesting film that largely went unnoticed in 1997. It follows the myth of the Djinn relatively closely. What I like the most is that they throw this myth into a modern world. Although an unlikely villain (he can only grant wishes), it is very effective at using him. The way he grants the wishes is the most interesting part of this film. Plus, it includes cameos by Angus Scrimm, Robert Englund, Kane Hodder, and Tony Todd. - metternich1815

I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
An interesting mystery, which is also a slasher. It created the villain known as the Fisherman. As was common with the slashers created due to Scream, the killer was mortal, rather than immortal. - metternich1815

Last edited by _____V_____; 09-10-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:56 AM
For Vendetta

Ringu (aka) Ring (1998)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
An important movie that really strengthened the J Horror movement. - The Villain

The Blair Witch Project (1999)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
It is easily one of the most brilliant and unique films of the 1990s. Many of the films that came after it were of various quality, but that film is amazing. To this day, I regard it as one of the scariest movies I have ever seen. Even if you do not like The Blair Witch Project, you have to admit it deserves to be on any top 20 horror list for the 1990s. The film was one of the most successful independent films of all time. It made $248 million on a self-declared budget of $35,000, not including promotion. Additionally, it launched the reality TV phase and this is according to the creator of Survivor (which launched the reality TV show phase), as well as the hugely popular "Found Footage" sub-genre. Furthermore, it had a brilliant marketing campaign and was one of the first films to launch a website. - metternich1815

Stir of Echoes (1999)
Wikipedia Link

The Sixth Sense (1999)
Wikipedia Link

Sleepy Hollow (1999)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
The direction, acting, score, writing and sets are all superbly done. It has a great story and a genuine spooky atmosphere. It is also IMO the best version of The Headless Horseman story i have seen made into film. - The Villain

Last edited by _____V_____; 09-10-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:14 AM
For Vendetta

The NINTH PERIOD: 2000 - 2012

American Psycho (2000)
Wikipedia Link

Ginger Snaps (2000)
Wikipedia Link

Little Otik (aka) Greedy Guts (aka) Otesanek (2000)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
It's basically an eastern European fairy tale. Way off beat dark comedy from the legendary director Jan Svankmajer. This is visual cinema at its best. Svankmajer is an absolute legend, specifically of surreal/ stop motion cinema and this is probably the most accessible work. - Straker

Jeepers Creepers (2001)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
I thought the acting and character development was really good. Additionally, the story/plot was unique and intriguing. The creature looked very scary. Lastly, I thought that the film had excellent atmosphere. I was surprised it made the cut though because it is one of those films that gets a lot of undeserved hate. - metternich1815

The Others (2001)
Wikipedia Link

Frailty (2001)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
This was an excellent, if overlooked, film from the 2000s. It follows a family in the rural area, whose head (the Father) is supposedly getting a list from God, of the people who are really demons and he must kill them. There are some brilliant performances here, especially Bill Paxton (who directed the film) and Matthew McConaughey. The story is captivating and the atmosphere is perfect. You never really know what to believe throughout this film. Is this guy crazy or is he telling the truth? Anyway, an all-around excellent movie, although, unfortunately, often overlooked. - metternich1815

Last edited by _____V_____; 09-10-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:32 AM
For Vendetta

May (2002)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
This is a very interesting, if not weird, film from 2002. The film follows a woman named May, who works at a veterinary hospital and is very strange. I will not go into specifics, in case anyone has not seen it, but it is an excellent film. You really feel for the main character, as things go on. Eventually leading to a big twist, which is when the film gets weirder (and really gory). This film is well-acted, well-directed, and the story is very strange and captivating. I do believe that many have overlooked this film, especially when it came out, which is unfortunate because it is actually one of the best of the previous decade. - metternich1815

Dog Soldiers (2002)
Wikipedia Link

Signs (2002)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
Signs is - for ME personally - one of the most terrifying movies I have ever seen. When I first attempted to watch it, I had to leave the room, and I think that's the only time a horror movie has done that to me in my adult life. - Kandarian Demon

The Ring (2002)
Wikipedia Link

28 Days Later... (2002)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
This is a great zombie (I realize that they are a virus and not true zombies, but for all intents and purposes they are zombies) film from the United Kingdom. What is great about the film is its realism - everything seems real: the settings, the characters, etc. On that note, there was some excellent performances and brilliant character development. When characters die, you really feel for them. Another brilliant aspect of this film is that it is more about the people than the zombies, which is what I love about it. Zombies actually do not have as much on screen time as you would think they should. It also delves into the question of human nature without directly saying it. An all-around excellent film. - metternich1815

A Tale of Two Sisters (aka) Janghwa, Hongryeon (2003)
Wikipedia Link

Last edited by _____V_____; 09-10-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:53 AM
For Vendetta

Last edited by _____V_____; 09-10-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:17 AM
For Vendetta

[°REC] (2007)
Wikipedia Link

Paranormal Activity (2007)
Wikipedia Link

The Mist (2007)
Wikipedia Link

Let the Right One In (aka) Låt den Rätte Komma in (2008)
Wikipedia Link

Cloverfield (2008)
Wikipedia Link

Quote:
Effective photorealism on the big screen. Very engrossing. - Sculpt

The Cabin in the Woods (2012)
Wikipedia Link

-------------------------X------------------------------X------------------------------

RECOMMENDED DOCUMENTARIES FOR THE EVOLUTION OF HORROR FILMS

Flesh and Blood: The Hammer Heritage of Horror (1994)
100 Years of Horror (1996)
Universal Horror (1998)
The American Nightmare (2000)
It Conquered Hollywood! The Story of American International Pictures (2001)
Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film (2006)
Nightmares in Red, White and Blue: The Evolution of the American Horror Film (2009)
A History of Horror with Mark Gatiss (2010)
American Grindhouse (2010)
Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan (2011)

Last edited by _____V_____; 09-10-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:47 AM
For Vendetta

HONORABLE MENTIONS

1896 - 1929

The 400 Tricks of the Devil (1906, Short)
The Student of Prague (1913)
The Golem (1915)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920)
Waxworks (1924)
The Lost World (1925)

1930 - 1939

Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)
Mark of the Vampire (1935)
Werewolf of London (1935)
The Devil-Doll (1936)
The Golem (1936)
The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939)

1940 - 1949

Before I Hang (1940)
The Invisible Man Returns (1940)
The Mummy's Hand (1940)
The Fall of the House of Usher (1949)
The Tell-Tale Heart (1941, Short)
Dragonwyck (1946)

1950 - 1959

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953)
The Quatermass Xperiment (1955)
The Amazing Colossal Man (1957)
El vampiro (1957)
I Was a Teenage Werewolf (1957)

1960 - 1969

The Little Shop of Horrors (1960)
Mr. Sardonicus (1961)
Invasion of the Triffids (1962)
Blood Feast (1963)
The Raven (1963)
Onibaba (1964)

1970 - 1979

The Night Stalker (1972, TV Movie)
Frankenstein: The True Story (1973, TV Movie)
Deep Red (1975)
Martin (1977)
The Sentinel (1977)
The Driller Killer (1979)

1980 - 1989

The Fog (1980)
Sleepaway Camp (1983)
Day of the Dead (1985)
Demons (1985)
The Return of the Living Dead (1985)
Near Dark (1987)

1990 - 1999

Tremors (1990)
Cemetary Man (1994)
From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)
Event Horizon (1997)
Funny Games (1997)
Audition (1999)

2000 - 2012

Battle Royale (2000)
The Devil's Backbone (2001)
Oldboy (2003)
Hard Candy (2005)
The Host (2006)
Inside (aka) Ā l'intérieur (2007)
The Orphanage (2007)
Old 09-02-2013, 12:20 PM
For Vendetta

HDC MEMBERS SPECIALLY RECOMMEND...

The Sealed Room (1909)
Quote:
Kinda plays out more like a melodrama, loosely based on The Cask of Amontillado. Nice early example of gothic cinema. Pretty well edited for the time, which keeps the drama/ tension flowing which in itself is a pretty awesome achievement considering there are only a handful of static shots across the 11 minutes run time. Its quite dark for the time and the tension builds nicely and its all well put together. Great movie from a great director, check it out here if you have a spare 10 mins. - Straker

The Black Room (1935)
Quote:
Though it comes with a traditional set up but it showcases one of the best & pretty rare performances from (if I'm not mistaken, I think this is the only film where) the King of Horror in a double role of playing twin brothers: one good, the other evil! And that itself makes it a must see, IMO. - Roshiq

Tarantula (1955)
Quote:
A generalized classic. I actually liked it's slower character-driven pace. Kind of a sleepy rainy day horror film. - Sculpt

I, Vampiri (1956) [full film]
Quote:
Not only was this one of Bava's first directing efforts (uncredited), it was also the first Italian horror of the sound era. Not the best example of his work, but still a landmark in the genre and Bava's career, featuring both beautiful cinematography from Bava and some quality set design. - Straker

Black Sunday (aka) La Maschera del Demonio (1960)
Quote:
Italian horror and giallo was a hugely influential movement that left us with some of our all-time favorite horror films, and it started here. Mario Bava provided the template of what would evolve over the next 20 years. - Giganticface

Village of the Damned (1960)
Quote:
It is an excellent classic from the 1960s. - metternich1815

The Haunted Palace (1963)
Quote:
There is this particularly frightening scene where Vincent Price's character looks up at the painting of Joseph Curwen, and his face goes from gentle to pure evil in a split second. No special effects, just good acting. I almost peed my pants the first time I saw it! - Kandarian Demon

The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
Quote:
Hammer's Evil of Frankenstein revealed a truly MAD scientist who was a cold and evil man. He was far more frightening than the creature he created. That was the legacy of horror films in the 60s. Humanity was exposed as the monster. Sure, there were exceptions, but this was the dominant paradigm. - Neverending

Kwaidan (aka) Kaidan (1964)
Quote:
Suggested by _____V_____ & Straker

Kill, Baby...Kill! (aka) Operazione paura (1966)
Quote:
Suggested by _____V_____ & Giganticface

The Fearless Vampire Killers (aka) Dance of the Vampires (1967)
Quote:
Suggested by _____V_____

Django Kill... If You Live, Shoot! (aka) Se sei vivo spara (1967)
Quote:
It's a horror/western hybrid that reflects the cultural changes of the time and a general shift towards cynicism in art: Hypocrisy in religion, gay cowboy gangs, suicide, and explicit violence (the scalping scene is epic). Plus, the avenging protagonist is the walking dead, and a generally a bad dude. An anti-hero. - Giganticface

Last edited by _____V_____; 04-11-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:23 PM
For Vendetta

Hour of the Wolf (aka) Vargtimmen (1968)
Quote:
Suggested by _____V_____

Straw Dogs (1971)
Quote:
Understanding that it's a difficult film to categorize, and I've already made my case for why it should be considered, I believe it's not only an important influence in the history of horror, but also a damn good horror movie.

For those that are still not convinced it should be a candidate, do a Google search for "straw dogs 1971 horror." The slew of horror web sites that have reviewed it is never-ending, and it's almost universally praised by those reviewers.

As for its importance in the history of horror film, two words: home invasion. You can't review movies like The Strangers or Ils without consciously or subconsciously comparing it to Straw Dogs. And most likely, Straw Dogs will still win. Besides claiming the fame of launching a horror subgenre, it also played a large part in upping the level of acceptable violence in film, especially horror films. Of course, it was not acceptable at the time, as it received an X rating and was later subject to a video release ban.

Judging the movie purely on its horror elements -- not just its influence on the genre -- there's plenty to draw from. ***SPOILERS*** The town simpleton accidentally killing a local girl is a chapter straight from Mary Shelley. The scene where the giant bear trap is painstakingly set, then hoisted as a centerpiece in the living room is a foreshadowing of the unthinkable release of the trap, which of course does occur in the final scene. I actually recoiled when the wife found the family cat hanging dead in the bedroom closet. When an intruder's hands were nailed to a window sill, leaving his throat inches away from being slit with the broken glass, I was reminded of a trap in a Saw movie. And more than anything else, the idea that regular, good ole' kids from town, working on your roof, drinking milk from your kitchen, and socializing with your wife, could at some point become your very worst nightmare -- this is the reason I lock my door at night. To disqualify this film as just a "thriller" would be a cop out. There's nothing thrilling about your wife being raped in your own living room. And then again by the next guy.

With great acting and character development, a constant state of tension, and two of the most memorably horrific scenes in history, Straw Dogs deserves a spot in HDC's 100 Years of Horror. - Giganticface

A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Quote:
I'm almost inclined to retract my suggestion to add it because it is so debatable. It's clearly not a horror genre movie, the cheery British tone plays more like Terry Gilliam than any horror movie, and a good portion of the film (the middle, prison portion) has no relationship to horror at all.

However, if these lists are about the most important movies in horror history (as opposed to the best horror movies in horror history), it would be a shame not to recognize it. The new level of on-screen violence, the trademarked and stylized predatorial antagonist, the themes of home invasion and physical and psychological torture, the creepy music and visuals, employing metal tools as torture instruments on the eyeballs, revenge torture, the fact that now when I hear "Singin' in the Rain" or Beethoven's 9th, I think of brutal violence and rape -- all of these are significant contributions to the horror genre, not sci-fi, which is the genre the movie is more likely to be classified as. - Giganticface

Godzilla vs the Smog Monster (aka) Gojira tai Hedorâ (1971)
Quote:
A fantastic, innovative and scary film. It's psychedelic, they included animated sequences, amazing set and colors, use of jazz and acid rock, where they mix jazz in with the spoken parts, including rather bizarre things, like the eggs of Monster. It's the first film to attack the issue of pollution, at the same time it's a metaphor for the evil/neglect of mankind.

The horror scenes include a coastal giant sludge tadpole menacing a child's father, and then the child slicing it with his knife. In a nightclub, slug from monster pours down the steps, like the blob (the ending of the scene with the slug covered cat meowing is classic!). The Smog Monster flies over a children camp exercising, releases it's smog on them, and they're left as smoking skeletons (child's film?). The "flower children" teens are partying at night when a GIGANTIC Hedora walks up, even towering over Godzilla (genius). A true period piece.

If you haven't seen Godzilla Vs The Smog Monster, you are missing an artistic film treat! A truly special film. - Sculpt

Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971)
Quote:
Suggested by _____V_____

A Warning to the Curious (1972, TV)
Quote:
M.R James Ghost story from the BBC.... On first look you might think this out of place in a 70s list stocked full of real classics of modern horror, but its exactly why it made my list. It is such a simple but effective ghost story and a beautiful adaptation with a strong lead performance from Peter Vaughn. This adaptation is all about atmosphere and storytelling, which is what horror is all about. Really worth a watch for those that haven't seen it, the sort of horror that should be watched on a dark, stormy night with the lights low. - Straker

The Other (1972)
Quote:
Suggested by _____V_____

The Legend of Hell House (1973)
Quote:
Suggested by _____V_____, Sculpt & metternich1815

Magic (1978)

Quote:
Fascinating, and unusually scary film about a ventriloquist who can't put his dummy down, even for 20 secs... he's insane! Anthony Hopkins does an incredible job of acting and ventriloquy. - Sculpt

Nosferatu the Vampyre (aka) Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht (1979)
Quote:
Suggested by _____V_____ & metternich1815

Cat People (1982)
Quote:
This is just a brilliant film with mind-blowing imagery, stunning art direction, stellar performances and a knockout soundtrack. - neverending

Christine (1983)
Quote:
Very sharp and slick horror movie by John Carpenter! - Sculpt

Last edited by _____V_____; 09-03-2013 at 08:46 AM.