Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-09-2009, 07:06 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Memories of Murder (2003)

Korean horror film directed by Joon-ho Bong.

Never heard of this guy before but I'm REALLY glad I watched this. Not your typical Asian horror movie at all. No tall women with long hair. No creepy kids with big eyes. No ghosts.

This is the story surrounding the investigation of Korea's first serial killer case. I don't know where to start here... Perhaps by mentioning the directorial finesse of Joon-ho Bong. He straddles a line between a very dark humor and deadpan seriousness with the assurance of a master. Expert at creating tension and surprise.

At first we're presented with the world's worst criminal investigative team. They trample evidence. They arrest the wrong people and torture confessions out of them. They plant evidence. When a detective from Seoul joins them on the case, they are jealous of his more sophisticated methods and try and discredit him.

There's a real visual flair to this film as well, along with some stunning visual metaphores. Many key scenes take place in the rain at night and they're shot with perfection.

The lead actor, Kang-ho Song, turns in such a nuanced performance I was awed. He portrayed his role, at first that of a bumbling corrupt cop, that transforms into a very sympathetic caring character. It was probably the best performance I've seen in an Asian movie (what ones I've seen, of course).

The story itself moves along at a brisk pace, always kept me interested, and revealed some deft touches, symbolism and depth.

Needless to say- I was extremely impressed.

Ashe- you will love this- check it out.

You too Chrono!
Maybe I'll get to watching it today and report back. I think we need more action up in this forum. ;) :D

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 07-09-2009, 10:44 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Maybe I'll get to watching it today and report back. I think we need more action up in this forum. ;) :D

Not our fault they've stoped making good movies over there. :rolleyes:
Old 07-11-2009, 06:41 AM
Bad Natured

Sanjuro. Not sure if i liked this one more or less than Yojimbo, which i thought was awesome. i want to say that Yojimbo was better, but cannot for some reason. Ah, who cares anyway. Great flick.

Juon 2. Great sequel. Even creepier than the original. Loved the bleak atmosphere created here, and the ending was awesome. Great camera-work and disuninted scene sequencing.
Ashe.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:12 AM
Bad Natured

The Hidden Blade. i typically despise love stories, but this samurai flick was worth it. The story was simple but solid. It was pretty slow going, but the historical setting was awesome if not hilarious, and such a slow pace allowed for the development of the main character. The fight scene was down-to-earth realistic, and movie's title came into its own at just the right time. Ashe.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:53 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
Juon 2. Great sequel. Even creepier than the original. Loved the bleak atmosphere created here, and the ending was awesome. Great camera-work and disuninted scene sequencing.
Ashe.
d
Really? I started watching this one a while back, but for some reason it had the feel of a REALLY low budget, cheap horror flick to me (and not a good one). I turned it off when I got bored and had enough - Not your experience? Is it worth turning on again? I honestly loved the original Ju-On, the remake, and Shimizu's Rinne as well... Ju On 2 didn't grab me, though... Maybe I should give it a second chance?

Watched Memories of Murder on Friday, and don't really have much to add to what NE and Roshiq have already said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
There's a real visual flair to this film as well, along with some stunning visual metaphores. Many key scenes take place in the rain at night and they're shot with perfection.

The lead actor, Kang-ho Song, turns in such a nuanced performance I was awed. He portrayed his role, at first that of a bumbling corrupt cop, that transforms into a very sympathetic caring character. It was probably the best performance I've seen in an Asian movie (what ones I've seen, of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Instead of focusing on the murder scenes and shocking images like most other conventional serial killer films, the movie puts much more time and details into the story, characters and the situation of the time the incidents took place... Intense humor, brilliant cinematography, excellent character developments with the incredible casts delivered in perfect way by the director Joon-ho Bong.

The movie was gorgeous. The period and cultural piece of being able to look close up at the unprepared police department as they struggle to bring in the killer - by any "means" necessary - The incredible acting job of Kang-ho Song (who is equally as amazing in Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - NE GO SEE IT!) - all came together to form a fascinating, well-directed film.

But I am not sure that investigative/crime/"thriller" movies are necessarily my cup of tea. I can't knock the movie per se, but I was bored at times. I can see where the movie is utterly brilliant, but I thought it dragged (though again, I think it's more my disinterest in the genre, not a fault of the film)... I would recommend it to people, but I don't think it's something that I could sit down and watch again.

3.5/5

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 07-17-2009, 08:30 PM
Quagledoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Really? I started watching this one a while back, but for some reason it had the feel of a REALLY low budget, cheap horror flick to me (and not a good one). I turned it off when I got bored and had enough - Not your experience? Is it worth turning on again? I honestly loved the original Ju-On, the remake, and Shimizu's Rinne as well... Ju On 2 didn't grab me, though... Maybe I should give it a second chance?
I'd say definitely give it a second chance. Ju-On 2 is actually my favorite of all the Ju-On & Grudge films out there. I just like the odd space/time jumps in the film.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:54 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamstubbs View Post
I'd say definitely give it a second chance. Ju-On 2 is actually my favorite of all the Ju-On & Grudge films out there. I just like the odd space/time jumps in the film.

Are you talking Ju-on 2 or Ju-on:The grudge 2?
Old 07-18-2009, 06:48 AM
Quagledoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
Are you talking about Ju-on 2 or Ju-on:The grudge 2?
Ju-On 2 (Japanese)

I only refer to the American productions as The Grudge.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:49 PM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamstubbs View Post
Ju-On 2 (Japanese)

I only refer to the American productions as The Grudge.
You do know the japanese series consists of:

Ju-on
Ju-on 2
Ju-on: the grudge 1
Ju-on: the Grudge 2

Right?

And half of Ju-on 2 is pretty much the last half of the first one with about 35 minutes of new ideas added. Which, to me, makes it the worst of the Japanese Ju-ons.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Quagledoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
You do know the japanese series consists of:

Ju-on
Ju-on 2
Ju-on: the grudge 1
Ju-on: the Grudge 2

Right?

And half of Ju-on 2 is pretty much the last half of the first one with about 35 minutes of new ideas added. Which, to me, makes it the worst of the Japanese Ju-ons.
You do know that everyone has different opinions and I love Ju-On 2 no matter what you or others might think. Deal with it.