Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Scares Little Kids

Ah! I forgot I also watched Cinderella on the Sundance Channel! That one was pretty interesting...
Old 04-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Evil Dead

I actually have been watching a lot of Asian horror lately so I'll throw my two cents in.
First I had to catch up with all the more popular movies that I had not seen so I watched Ringu, Ringu 2, Ju-on (both versions), Ju-on 2, Shutter, A Tale of Two Sisters, Three Extremes, and Oldboy (although I don't think that is horror but I'm sure there's another thread about that around here somewhere).
Then I started watching less well known stuff:

Haunted Apartments - This one is from Japan if I remember correctly. I loved it. I really like the revenge ghost thing. It has a corny title but I thought it was really good.

Forbidden Floor - I think this one was from Japan as well but won't bet the house on it. It is another apartment building type movie although it is about the unlucky floor. North Americans don't put a 13th floor in their buildings, Asians don't have a 4th floor. I also really liked this one.

Apt or Apartment - from Hongkong if I'm not mistaken (hmmm I think I have an apartment theme going here). I've actually watched this one twice. I liked it so much I had to show a friend.

Body #19 - Thai I think. I was surprised at how good this one was even though there was a LOT of CGI. Ghosts, revenge and a twist ending that wasn't too unbelievable.

The Red Shoes - Korean Horror movie based on a Hans Christian Anderson story. I felt it was quite thin in the plot department. Not really worth a re-watch.

The Victim - Thai Horror - Was left scratching my head and saying Huh? a lot. I suspect I lost a lot due to cultural differences. It is about a woman who plays the victim in crime scene re-enactments. I couldn't understand why they re-enacted these crime when they had already caught and convicted the perpetrator. Apparently I don't understand the legal system.

Exte - Japanese Horror movie about . . . Evil Hair Extensions! I spent the rest of the day laughing about the Hair Monster and making jokes about the terror of split ends. Yes it was horrible and not in a good way.

I have become quite the addict to Asian horror - I love it! I do have a small rant so please allow me to spit out the poison. It is this: If I am watching a movie with subtitles, it is likely because I don't speak the language. If I don't speak the language, chances are I can't read it either. It so pisses me off when they show a newspaper article or diary entry with the Answer to the mystery and they don't tell you what it says. I get grouchy about that. Second - why can we not have yellow subtitles? White subtitles written across the character's white shirt tends to lend itself to a difficult reading environment (I remember something about this in an Austin Powers movie).

Ok rant done.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

king boxer
36th chamber of shaolin
Old 05-01-2009, 12:39 AM
No, fuck YOU

"Ong-bak 2" 5/10

Tony Jaa's first and hopefully last attempt as director. Coz damn!

Way too few spectacullar stunts ( I think i remember 2) to make me bear over with the mess of a story and story-line.
Not that the stories in his former movies were a whole lot better, but at least they had tons of over-the-top stunts to entertain me throughout. Besides the stories were executed much better, due to much better directing by Prachya Pinkaew, who's also superior in both choreography and camera work. Not that Tony hasn't learned a lot from Pinkaew, but he still has a long, LONG way to go it seems.

So what Tony needs to do now is to crawl back to Pinkaew for another team-up and forget anything about directing another movie in a looooong time..

I'm pissed. :mad:
Old 05-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Tales of Terror: Haunted Apartment (2005)

>>: C
Old 05-06-2009, 03:10 PM
(sw) Fake Shemp (sw)

Tokyo Zombie (2005)

"It's a DISASTER...a DISASTER! Spelt with two 'O's... like 'DOOM'!!"
Old 05-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Bad Natured

Black House (2007). A very well done, and well paced, Korean horror flick. Ashe.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:56 AM
Bad Natured

Bright Future (2004). Loved the clean cinematography of this flick. A simple story told brilliantly (needed no major twists to carry it). Acting was great, almost too heart-felt at times. Not sure i understood the whole thing, but that was probably from cultural differences. Ashe.
d

Old 05-10-2009, 06:06 AM
Bad Natured

Noriko's Dinner Table (2005). Not the easiest movie to get into, but it was worth the effort. The story was told in a rather disjointed but effective manner. Powerful exposition of how fake our lives really are. Ashe.
d

Last edited by psycho d; 05-10-2009 at 06:58 AM. Reason: title was incorrect
Old 05-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

tokyo gore police